Weather

fatbacks

WKR
For my sheep kit I got a cheap synthetic bag from REI. It is only rated to 20° or so and relatively light weight but then I have a puffy jacket and Pants. Throw on the puffy layers when it gets colder. Worked well in the Brooks last year during an 8 day blizzard.

Had a buddy get pounded sheep hunting in the Wrangells last year In August. He had a quilt and floor less shelter. The combo didn’t hold up well in severe wind and rain. He got home and bought a sleeping bag and Hilleberg tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
What brand shelter did he have,was planning on my super tarp and annex for my shelter

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Talked with the guide today looks like I’ve got the first hunt in August 2021. I’ve invested in some quality light weight gear the last couple years so all that’s left do decide on is which rifle and bag/ quilt to take. Please don’t hesitate to recommend any thing that comes to mind that could help me in this old man’s dream hunt

get a western mountaineering badger bag. Don’t overthink the rifle....unless you want to. There’s lots of good lightweight rifles out there these days for all budget levels, even the more affordable options are pretty nice. A tikka In pretty much any caliber makes a fine sheep rifle

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For my sheep kit I got a cheap synthetic bag from REI. It is only rated to 20° or so and relatively light weight but then I have a puffy jacket and Pants. Throw on the puffy layers when it gets colder. Worked well in the Brooks last year during an 8 day blizzard.

Had a buddy get pounded sheep hunting in the Wrangells last year In August. He had a quilt and floor less shelter. The combo didn’t hold up well in severe wind and rain. He got home and bought a sleeping bag and Hilleberg tent.

some guys get away with those ultralight shelters, I prefer something more substantial. I got my ass kicked hard in 2018 by the weather and came back from that trip and bought a hilleberg.

fatbacks

WKR
What brand shelter did he have,was planning on my super tarp and annex for my shelter

Pretty sure he had a super tarp and annex. Just can’t hang compared to a mountaineering tent high up with sustained bad weather. I have a Hilleberg Nallo and it is an absolute bombproof shelter. I also looks at my sleep system as my last ditch safety net and don’t compromise on a sturdy system.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input will check out the badger as well as different shelters, unless something changes will take my ca in 308. Tanks again Billy

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
I used an EE 20degree quilt this year and was overly comfy even on coldest nights in the Alaska Range. Not sure I like it more than my Western Mountaineering Terralite, but like it at least as much. I sleep warm though, so cold night i just leave things on.

While I also like floor less ultra lite shelters, and brought a little SO Silvertip last two years as an emergency/spike out shelter, it failed me this past season. Granted, it was due more to where we had to spend the night—which was on a giant (large house) sized boulder midway along/across a flowing glacier. Weather was decent as we stopped at last light short of midnight and pitched camp, but before we even turned attention to eating some food, the winds picked up and just continued to build. My buds Black Diamond withstood the night well, my SO did not. I tried everything from soccer sized rocks to larger to help hold corners that had some anchoring media to wrapping my pack into the bottom to anchor, to finally rolling myself into it and pulling the pole down. I was basically a burrito inside a rolled up SO tipi with an EE quilt. Very uncomfortable, sandblasted to the face when I would try and open an eye to see anything, but otherwise safe. At least there wasn’t pouring rain that night, and packing my sheep since midday had me tired enough to finally drift off to sleep for a couple hours.

the tarps/tipis are great in the right situations, which can include some relatively extreme weather as long as they have some wind break. But put one in the full strait force of hurricane winds, even a small profiled one will fail. In those unfortunate situations, simply need something more bomb proof like a Black Diamond or Hilleberg.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a long night, I was hoping to keep the weight down as much as possible with the shelter.had read lots of good things about the floorless shelters but don’t won’t to be stupid in the process,anyone have experience with a hilleberg with the inner tent removed,Thanks Billy

Sounds like a long night, I was hoping to keep the weight down as much as possible with the shelter.had read lots of good things about the floorless shelters but don’t won’t to be stupid in the process,anyone have experience with a hilleberg with the inner tent removed,Thanks Billy

Have you talked to your guide what the tent situation will be? Usually you don't have to concern yourself with bringing a tent on guided hunts. On my hunts, I use two one man Hilleberg tents, while Matt (who I work for) uses one two man tent with his hunters.

I have used a Hilleberg with the inner tent removed, condensation was an issue. Bringing the inner tent is well worth the small amount of weight it adds. One advantage of the Hilleberg is when breaking down the tent in the rain or when wet, I can remove the inner tent first and keep it dry. I pack it in a separate garbage bag, and when it's time to set my tent back up, I know I will have a dry tent on the inside.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
To be honest and not to personal my concern is he will have a two person tent and at 59 years old I will get up somewhere between 2 to 6 times a night to piss I don’t won’t him to have to deal with that,I’m somewhat used to it. I had rather carry my own shelter (floorless) and just piss on the ground.what model hilleberg would you recommend

Wapiti1

WKR
I don't blame you for wanting your own tent. It's nice to have a little solitude and more space. You shouldn't have a problem getting one that adds at most 4 lbs.

There are a lot of good tents for this. MSR, Big Agnes, Black Diamond, Hilleberg, Nemo all make a tent that will handle your hunt. The MSR Hubba Hubba is popular. My guide used that one in 2017 after ditching his Hilleberg for condensation reasons. Personally, I like a 2 person tent for the extra space. I used an old Mountain Hardware that isn't made anymore. When I go back I'll have a Big Agnes Fly Creek HV2. Not a 4 season tent, but sheds snow really well if needed.

If you go with a shark fin style like the Fly Creek, pay attention to wind direction when pitching. A strong crosswind will push it around. Staking the rain fly tight will help, but big gusts will move it a lot. I don't like the pure dome style because of poor snow shedding, but they are more stable in wind. YMMV.

Jeremy

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
As far as base camp is concerned I’ll take my sawtooth but spiking out on the mountain is my issue I thought one of the floor less shelters would be strong enough for some snow load and heavy winds. Maybe I’m wrong but thought some we’re using the mid type shelters on the early season hunts that why I thought the super tarp would be sufficent.thanks for your reply

Wapiti1

WKR
A mid could be useable, and others do use them. I use a Black Diamond Mega Light most of the time when backpacking. It will handle about any weather, but it has to be guyed out well to stakes. I have never had good luck with rock piles holding in wind.

Where I was in the Talkeetnas a mid or tipi would have been fine. No issues with finding a spot to pitch it that wasn't solid rock. That was in the nothern section of the mountains.

Jeremy