Weatherby Accumark vs Fierce Fury vs Christensen Traverse

ncoleman

FNG
In a quandary and need some feedback before purchasing an Elk rifle

Looking at 3 rifles with a budget around $2,200:
- Weatherby Mark V Accumark - 300 win mag
- Christensen Traverse - 300 win mag
- Fierce Fury - 7mm

I hunt in Utah at 9,000 to 10,000 feet and generally have to make a 1,000 to 2,000 ft climb over 2-4 miles to get to my hunting spot. I also hunt in areas where 400+ shots are common (my furthest elk killed was 512 yards).

Weatherby Accumark
  • I've always wanted a Weatherby -- but am I being brand foolish
  • It's heavy. I pack a heavy rifle now and would like something lighter -- but, then recoil can be an issue w/o a brake
  • Have you found they will generally shoot sub-moa
Christensen Traverse or Ridgeline
  • Is the rifle too light to shoot in 300 win mag w/o the muzzle brake
  • Heard they have some real quality control issues and as many as 1 in 4 rifles have to be sent back for repair. Of course, that might be internet gibberish.
  • But, I've also heard they can easily shoot sub-0.5 moa when there aren't barrel issues
  • And, their customer support is excellent -- so CA will fix the issues
  • Seems like excellent value
Fierce Fury
  • Heard amazing things about the accuracy of Fierce rifles -- 0.5 moa guarantee and folks seem to be getting that
  • But, can't find it locally in 300 win mag -- can buy a 7mm rem mag
  • 6.4 lb rifle so nice to pack in and I think 7mm recoil would be very manageable w/o a brake
  • I think I'm OK with 7mm but have historically shot 338 win mag and 300 win mag with 200gr to 250gr bullets
  • All my reloading gear is 300 win mag -- so will have to purchase dies, brass, bullets, etc (this is the big hesitancy given how hard it is to find ammunition or reloading supplies)

Last edited:
OP
N

ncoleman

FNG
These guys are local to you right?

They have a scoped 300 wm for sale. A bit above your budget I'm sure but ready to hunt...

Yea ... they're about 5-6 hours south which I really like if I need support!!!

But, the direct price from them is outside the budget -- wife isn't going to let me spend $5-6K. I can pick up the 7mm at a local store for under $2100.

Brianb3

WKR
I have a Fierce Fury 300 WM on here for sale. I’ll pm you

300 Win Mag Fierce Fury

I’d sell rifle only. It’s a tac driver

I’ll try n send the link. PM sent too.