weatherby back country rifle

BKhunter

WKR
Has anyone used this rifle before? Was looking to get a back country gun, and was curious on everyone's thoughts. Should I be looking somewhere else as this price point?

BK

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe there has been some posts on this already. Check the firearms or lightweight zone section of this forum. There is a thread titled "best non-custom mountain rifle" with lots of stuff you may find useful.

Just off the top of my head, the Howa Alpine would be one rifle I'd say is in direct competition with that Weatherby. I like the idea of the shorter barrel and lighter weight of the alpine.

I just bought a Remington Model Seven in .308. Sent it off to be cerakoted, will eventually replace the stock, that would put it in the same total cost and similar feature set as the Weatherby Backcountry or the Howa Alpine. It should come in under 7 pounds without any real custom weight trimming and its on the Remington type action that I'm very familiar with. The Weatherby action just didn't feel right after all the years I've spent shooting 700's. Some people say Remington quality control is not great lately, I have not seen any real-world first hand evidence of that. I'll be posting my observations/review once I shoot my Model Seven and really get some experience with it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hi,

I have one of those rifles, I actually just traded a friend mine in 30-06 for his in 300wby mag. It's a great rifle. Mine had a detachable magazine kit from weatherby on it which worked well but the new one has standard bottom metal.

I've used vanguards for several years and have lots of them, I think for the money the basic vanguards are a great value but If im being honest, I think at the price point for a vanguard back country there's lots of other choices, not neccisarily better choices but different choices.

I'm a weatherby fan myself but for 300 bucks less you can get a tikka t3x lite and for a few hundred bucks more you're in kimber montana territory.

As for the gun, it's very accurate and I've found them to be very reliable (but it's a bolt rifle so of course it is). The stock is nice and the ceracoat is durable. I think for a thousand bucks it's a good gun but maybe not a true value if that makes sense.

Hi,

I have one of those rifles, I actually just traded a friend mine in 30-06 for his in 300wby mag. It's a great rifle. Mine had a detachable magazine kit from weatherby on it which worked well but the new one has standard bottom metal.

I've used vanguards for several years and have lots of them, I think for the money the basic vanguards are a great value but If im being honest, I think at the price point for a vanguard back country there's lots of other choices, not neccisarily better choices but different choices.

I'm a weatherby fan myself but for 300 bucks less you can get a tikka t3x lite and for a few hundred bucks more you're in kimber montana territory.

As for the gun, it's very accurate and I've found them to be very reliable (but it's a bolt rifle so of course it is). The stock is nice and the ceracoat is durable. I think for a thousand bucks it's a good gun but maybe not a true value if that makes sense.

I'll echo this... I don't own the gun but believe you could build it for less (take a SS vangaurd/howa barreled action and drop into kevlar stock) or look at something else. Keep in mind weatherby's actions are some of the heavier one's on the market. I looked at them at a gun show, they're a nice gun but like newmexican said, for $200 more you're looking at a kimber montana and for the same price could get into a used kimber. for less you could get into a tikka, savage, etc... and have probably less weight. Every gun nowadays should be accurate.

bmart2622

WKR
I dont have a Backcountry but I have a Vanguard Wilderness in 257 WBY which is very similar but it is blued instead of Cerakoted and it is a fair bit cheaper than the Backcountry. Its an awesome gun, it shoots MOA with 110gr Accubonds and is nice and light for packing around.

I am in love with my 257 wby vanguard and will likely buy a 300 soon. For the money i dint think it can be beat. I know some people love the kimber but my experience with a kimber mountain were terrible.. i would take my new vanguard over that kimber any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk