Weatherby MKV .338 Lapua?

bobhunts

WKR
I was gonna turn my Rem 700 300 RUM into a 338 but I won this Weatherby last night at the RMBS banquet. Anyone like the Weatherby or a reason to sell it and go ahead with the build other than the cost of it being a >338 Lapua? I bought a die and 100 rds of 300 grain bergers and 50 nosler brass today. Picking up what I could find locally. Thinking that H50bmg is available I will try and work some loads off that.I can never find H1000 ever! Any advice would be appreciated. Found Lapua brass on several sites and they vary by as much as $50 per hundred. This is one expensive gun to shoot for sure! Bob.

Broz

WKR
That would be one hell of a rifle. What model is it?

I would off the brass and replace it with Lapua brass. I have seen 338 Lapua brass go 15 firings in my 338 LM's all shot with 300 gr berger and a full house load of H-1000. The initial sting of the Lapua brass price goes away quickly when you don't have to replace it after 5 firings. In the end the 338 Lapua brass will be the less expensive brass you will ever buy for a 338 Magnum.

You will probably want H-1000, Retumbo, VV N-570 or RL 33 for the rifle. I have used H-1000 in all of mine.

Contrary to many internet reports from people who don't have first hand experience. The 338 Lm is no more expensive to shoot than a 338 RUM or a 338 EDGE. In fact compared to the RUM and EDGE with Rem brass the Lapua will end up being less expensive when the brass lasts up to 3 times as long.

Jeff