Weatherby Rifles Pos and Neg/ Savage Rifles Pos and Neg

I bought a Weatherby Mark V Outfitter about 4 years ago. It was made to order and supposed to take 6 months. It took 9 months, and they dropped the price 100 bucks for each month they went over schedule. The rifle was guaranteed sub moa and it is, never had rounds more than 1/4" inch apart, and usually they all touch in the group. Really love the rifle.

Billinsd

WKR
Savage changes their designs very often. It's difficult to upgrade parts and stocks for this reason. If you buy one and just shoot it, there is no better bang for the buck.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
I have a savage 25-06 from early 2000s.... loved it forever...... now I’m looking at getting a higher caliber and taking it to Alaska and out west and Adirondacks so I’m looking at the Weatherby .300 win mags as well as savage’s...... are Weatherby rifles built a little better? Savages adjustable stock seems like it would be brittle...... pretty much savage bear hunter in .300 WM or Weatherby Wilderness with .300 WM.... also even considered Weatherby safari for the irons in .300 Weatherby Magnum

i have a cheap savage axis in 30-06. its a shooter, trigger sucked until i cut the spring and it shoots 1 inch groups at 100 but ive had issues with the firing pin and it having light firing pin strikes. cost me a couple of animals. i sent it in and it didnt do it for a while but its starting to do it again,.apparently its a common issue. was looking at upgrading to another savage 111 with the accutrigger but i think im just going to get a remington 700 instead. bummer because i they are shooters but i just dont want to have that doubt in my head with a nice buck or ram in the crosshairs.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve shot lots of weatherby rifles over the years, my dad is a huge fan of them both the MKVs and the vanguards, he has a lot of both. I think you are mostly talking about the vanguards since you mention the wilderness.

I’ve always thought the vanguards were a great value, I’ve found them to be very accurate and Nicky built and finished. They are all basically the same, some are just dressed up more from the basic line with things like fluted barrels, ceracoat and bell and Carlson stocks which makes them a really nice rifle.

A few years back I had a vanguard back country 30-06 and traded it to a friend for the same rifle but in 300wby since I had other 30-06s, I never used it all that much because I had so many other rifles but I pulled it out the other day and it shot great with the leupold vx3 I put on it when I got it. I think I’ll bring it out more this year.

The only savage I have is a lightweight hunter with a kuiu camo stock in 223 with a vx2 3-9 on it, we take it on the boat a lot and it rides behind the seat of my truck often, not much to say about it, it’s a savage, it is what it is, I’ve never been a fan of savages they always felt cheap and crappy to me even though there’s no arguing that they shoot, I just never felt any pride of ownership or lust over savages.

Ben442

FNG
Weatherby pro- look good, shoot good
con- expensive
Savage pro- shoot good, cheap
con- ugly as sin,

I think this is spot on. If you buy a savage make sure it’s a model with the accutrigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Owning both ( and just my own experience) I would say the above is spot on, but would add, the Mkv is a bit of a porker ( and mine has a glass stock). I still hunt with it lots, I just notice it on the shoulder considerably more. You can spend a bit more and get the ultra light, but then you would need a brake to make it shootable, then its noisy.. etc etc etc

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Savages adjustable stock seems like it would be brittle......

Your best bet on a Savage is to buy the older style without the adjustable stock. You'll save money & won't have to stress over which cheek piece fits you better. Most often the higher check piece is attached since people are shooting at the bench. But if the rifle will be shot off hand with out a rest than your sight picture won't be the same as on a bench/rest & the shorter/factory size check piece would be the better option.