Weatherby Rifles

amassi

WKR
Not sure I would consider a 6.5-300 if you value your barrel. Those things burn through them pretty fast
1000 rds and rebarrels are cheap now.
Quite a bot of powder and bullets heading down range before a new tube is needed

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

honestly, the weatherby vanguard dangerous gsme
Rifle is an evil bitch. It takes skin off my hand and has scopes ~ 6 people. I much prefer my Remington which weighs well over a pound less. I think it’s the stock design or something.

Skin off the hand? How the hell lol...... I think the Monte Carlo design makes the recoil act differently.... I mean I really enjoy my .300 Wby Mag, it def. has some kick to it tho. I did a shoulder workout one day then decided the next day to go shoot a box.... def. before each round I was like shit another one

OXN939

WKR
Yes
I have one in 6.5-300, albeit the older model with the straight bolt flutes and old trigger. I swapped it for a timney but would love a triggertech. It's a shooter

The creedmoor is built on a six lug so it will be much handier and balance better. I think they're a great deal, you'll not have to worry about mag length and if the 6.5 rpm takes off and tickles your fancy you could rechamber or rebarrel

So found another peculiarity with the Weathermark today. Apparently, they're intentionally designed to have a contact point between the stock and the barrel just before the front end of the stock. According to the Weatherby website:

"We have found through our testing that barrels having a smaller outside diameter than our #3 contour require upward pressure to help stabilize the barrel for increased accuracy. Our free floated barrels have enough rigidity in the barrel for them to be free floated."

Is yours like this? I get that they know more about barrel harmonics than I ever will, but having something touching the barrel just seems like an inherent design flaw that could impart more or less pressure under different conditions and cause inconsistency. Every rifle I've ever owned, including several #1 contour light sporters, shoots better freefloated than not.

amassi

WKR
So found another peculiarity with the Weathermark today. Apparently, they're intentionally designed to have a contact point between the stock and the barrel just before the front end of the stock. According to the Weatherby website:

"We have found through our testing that barrels having a smaller outside diameter than our #3 contour require upward pressure to help stabilize the barrel for increased accuracy. Our free floated barrels have enough rigidity in the barrel for them to be free floated."

Is yours like this? I get that they know more about barrel harmonics than I ever will, but having something touching the barrel just seems like an inherent design flaw that could impart more or less pressure under different conditions and cause inconsistency. Every rifle I've ever owned, including several #1 contour light sporters, shoots better freefloated than not.
The weather mark didnt have a pressure point, only on the ultralightweights and the old synthetics.
It's two bumps about 1"x 1/3" that run perpendicular to the barrel. The ultralightweights did shoot better with the pressure points. But it takes about 30 seconds with a dremel to remove.

What do you guys think about the new Backcountry Ti in the 6.5 RPM, or the 6.5 RPM as a round in general

What do you guys think about the new Backcountry Ti in the 6.5 RPM, or the 6.5 RPM as a round in general
I think the new backcountry is special enough that I have one on order in 6.5-300! I think the 6.5 rpm will be a fine cartridge although I think there are enough 6.5s out there that only a weatherby "purist" will buy one. I already have a relationship with the 6.5-300 so I will stick with it. Cant wait for my order to show up!

I think the new backcountry is special enough that I have one on order in 6.5-300! I think the 6.5 rpm will be a fine cartridge although I think there are enough 6.5s out there that only a weatherby "purist" will buy one. I already have a relationship with the 6.5-300 so I will stick with it. Cant wait for my order to show up!

What’s the difference between the 6.5-300 and the 6.5 RPM.... isn’t the RPM like their “magnum” 6.5

amassi

WKR
What’s the difference between the 6.5-300 and the 6.5 RPM.... isn’t the RPM like their “magnum” 6.5
About 400 fps
The rpm is way less overbore
Has no belt
Has a 35* shoulder
Runs out of a 24" tube whereas the 6 5-300 uses a 26-28

OXN939

WKR
The weather mark didnt have a pressure point, only on the ultralightweights and the old synthetics.
It's two bumps about 1"x 1/3" that run perpendicular to the barrel. The ultralightweights did shoot better with the pressure points. But it takes about 30 seconds with a dremel to remove.

Check. True observation. I'd just rather not have to take a dremel to a $1200 rifle to get it the way I want. Guess that's another consideration. Any other input about the Weatherby-barrel-contact-point phenomenon welcome

amassi

WKR
Until you shoot it you won't know.
A pressure point is not going to throw shots, it's not a cheap Tupperware stock it is extremely solid.

OXN939

WKR
Until you shoot it you won't know.

True enough, but that takes > $1000 to find out.

A pressure point is not going to throw shots, it's not a cheap Tupperware stock it is extremely solid.

Stock felt great when I looked at it. No matter how nice a stock is, though, it will move *some* depending on how it is rested, what the temperature is, etc. And, with a pressure point, those movements equal changes in how much pressure is applied, which logic says could effect accuracy.

Would be rly stoked if someone wanted to assuage my concerns about this, because otherwise I think I've found exactly what I'm looking for.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Skin off the hand? How the hell lol...... I think the Monte Carlo design makes the recoil act differently.... I mean I really enjoy my .300 Wby Mag, it def. has some kick to it tho. I did a shoulder workout one day then decided the next day to go shoot a box.... def. before each round I was like shit another one

the bolt always hits my knuckle and the trigger guard either smacks my finger on the knuckle side or the trigger catches on the inside of my finger. It’s ridiculous lol. My other 375s don’t do anything like that.

The pressure point in the ultralights is normal. I have had a couple now and have removed them in a couple 257s. It made no difference in accuracy. I didnt remove the pressure point in my 6.5-300 because it was shooting under moa and I was scared I would mess that up! I did get it skim bedded which made no difference on accuracy. I can only assume the new backcountry I have on order will have the pressure points?

the bolt always hits my knuckle and the trigger guard either smacks my finger on the knuckle side or the trigger catches on the inside of my finger. It’s ridiculous lol. My other 375s don’t do anything like that.

I really think it has to do with the Monte Carlo stock I read somewhere it throws the rifle violently, my .300 Wby if I curl my fingers resting the tips of them on the grip instead of actually gripping it normal (decided to try it to help with trigger jerking) then the trigger guard smokes my knuckles, shooting normally though it doesn’t.... kicks decent tho

OXN939

WKR
The pressure point in the ultralights is normal. I have had a couple now and have removed them in a couple 257s. It made no difference in accuracy. I didnt remove the pressure point in my 6.5-300 because it was shooting under moa and I was scared I would mess that up! I did get it skim bedded which made no difference on accuracy. I can only assume the new backcountry I have on order will have the pressure points?

Ever remove the speed bump and glass bed the action instead? Thinking that might add the support Weatherby talks about being necessary for lighter barreled rifles. Pretty sure that's my "COA A" for now, gotten some pretty solid results out of the Marine Tex plus Kiwi shoe polish bedding technique.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I really think it has to do with the Monte Carlo stock I read somewhere it throws the rifle violently, my .300 Wby if I curl my fingers resting the tips of them on the grip instead of actually gripping it normal (decided to try it to help with trigger jerking) then the trigger guard smokes my knuckles, shooting normally though it doesn’t.... kicks decent tho

I think you are right. Like I said, my Remington 700 xcr2 375HH weighs ~ 7.7lbs and while it does thump your shoulder, it dosent do any damage to my hand and has never come near scoping me.

88man

FNG
I have too many guns and I would sell my weatherby 300mag liteweight SS with muzzlebrake and 4-14 Leopold