Weatherby vanguard camilla

OP
willfrye027
We’ve gone back to the store twice now to look at guns. She’s pretty dead set on the Camilla because of how it feels and shoulders. It definitely fits like a glove even though I wish she wanted the tikka!

We have one in 7-08 and it is a shooter, both of our Vanguards are actually. I had a T3 since 2013 and it never stood out as anything special to me, it now is my stepdads. My wife's experience with center fire rifles is on dynamic training ranges with 5.56 and she had never been on a bench or looked through a magnified optic. She has 100% of the time placed her bullets within 2" of a paper bullseye out to 400 yds, and has not missed steel out to 550yds. I have shot it a bit as well, and typical 5 shot groups are similar to the smallest I shot with the Tikka. The recoil lug is glass bedded, and both of our rifles came in 2-4 ounces less than stated on paper. She did get the Weatherby brake on it, and to be frank, it has not been shot without it, so I couldn't say if recoil or muzzle rise would be perceived more due to the drop at the heel/comb. I would buy another Vanguard in a heartbeat if I had the need. Her log book shows 203 times it has been fired since it arrived in early April of 2018.
Did her gun come with the Weatherby Brake installed or did you have that installed? I have got the Camilia in 6.5 Creed for my wife and would like to put a break on it. So far the gun shoots great. I also want to change out the stock recoil pad for a limbsaver but can't figure out how to take the stock pad off. Any ideas anyone?

sndmn11

WKR
Did her gun come with the Weatherby Brake installed or did you have that installed? I have got the Camilia in 6.5 Creed for my wife and would like to put a break on it. So far the gun shoots great. I also want to change out the stock recoil pad for a limbsaver but can't figure out how to take the stock pad off. Any ideas anyone?

I ordered it from Weatherby with the brake. You can send it back to have it added. A call to their customer service should get you help pretty quick. You could also email Leslie in marketing and she would forward your message onto whoever is best to help [email protected]

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I'm picking up one of these for my wife's birthday. She shouldered one last weekend and REALLY likes how it felt. She'll be getting the 6.5. She shoots my 6.5 just fine but wants something that fits her small frame better. She's new to hunting and wants her own rifle. (y)

I'm researching grind-to-fit recoil pads for it, because the stock one seems a bit dense. Anything I can do to keep her interested will help.

khuber84

WKR
The new Savage accufit stocks are very customizable for comb height, length of pull, grip angle. I picked up a Savage 110 storm lefty in 6.5cr for the lady, she really likes it. I adjusted it to fit her properly, she's happy with it.

OP
willfrye027
I'm picking up one of these for my wife's birthday. She shouldered one last weekend and REALLY likes how it felt. She'll be getting the 6.5. She shoots my 6.5 just fine but wants something that fits her small frame better. She's new to hunting and wants her own rifle. (y)

I'm researching grind-to-fit recoil pads for it, because the stock one seems a bit dense. Anything I can do to keep her interested will help.

My wife felt the same way. Fit her like a glove. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet but with light loads in the 6.5 I don’t think recoil will be an issue

howl

WKR
The ~120gr loads will have more muzzle rise than recoil; especially with that style stock. 140gr loads will start to push some. Locking it down in a Bulls bag will keep it from hopping and slow rearward recoil without affecting point of impact. The 6.5CM we have here is used by a teenage girl with no complaints with 125gr.

My wife uses a recoil pad that slips onto a bra strap when shooting guns that have noticeable recoil.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
If recoil does become an issue, I'll take it to a smith to have a better grind to fit pad installed.

If recoil does become an issue, I'll take it to a smith to have a better grind to fit pad installed.

The issue with recoil likely isn't on the shoulder but on the cheek weld from the rifle rising because of how much the heel drops. The first time I saw that stock i wondered WTF weatherby was thinking..

Sounds like lots of ladies really like them so maybe i'm the one missing the boat. My mom picks which snowmobile she likes based on how the seat width feels and how light the throttle is, so maybe this is something like that...

OP
willfrye027
The issue with recoil likely isn't on the shoulder but on the cheek weld from the rifle rising because of how much the heel drops. The first time I saw that stock i wondered WTF weatherby was thinking..

Sounds like lots of ladies really like them so maybe i'm the one missing the boat. My mom picks which snowmobile she likes based on how the seat width feels and how light the throttle is, so maybe this is something like that...

On a normal stock she spent a lot of time moving her face and the butt stock around trying to get it in the right spot. On the Camilla it just sits perfectly right where it’s supposed to on the shoulder and cheek weld. It’s night and day difference, both the high cheek and weird curvature of the stock just fits. It was a little hard for me to believe at first but it’s definitely the right gun.

OP
willfrye027
Well we finally got out to shoot her new rifle. It sure does have a little more muzzle jump than I am used to, and eventually we will get a better recoil pad... probably will not brake it tho. But the woman is very happy with her new rifle and I don’t think she will feel it when she smacks another whitetail this year!

Her first group with the new gun, a little over one moa. Better groups were about 1 moa, I think some better shooting form for both of us would give better groups but I see the potential in this rifle.

Attachments

• E1EC2520-1008-4703-BB5A-CBA0ED8B49A4.jpeg
    E1EC2520-1008-4703-BB5A-CBA0ED8B49A4.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 8
OP
willfrye027
The ~120gr loads will have more muzzle rise than recoil; especially with that style stock. 140gr loads will start to push some. Locking it down in a Bulls bag will keep it from hopping and slow rearward recoil without affecting point of impact. The 6.5CM we have here is used by a teenage girl with no complaints with 125gr.

My wife uses a recoil pad that slips onto a bra strap when shooting guns that have noticeable recoil.

We definitely noticed the 129gr loads had more “felt” recoil because the gun jumped more compared to heavier stuff we used. I’ll have to check out the bulls bag for next time we do range work.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Well, after shooting it over a couple sessions, she's convinced (and I am as well) it needs something to tame the recoil for her. I'd like to have a local smith install a grind to fit, I think that'll help a lot. She wants to also look into a brake. I'm leery of a brake, especially on such a short barrel. I'm going to call Weatherby today and see how much it costs. I'd prefer to go the recoil pad first.