Weatherby Vanguard Special Edition find

sndmn11

WKR
I was in between sales calls on New Year's Eve Day, so I stopped in a gun store in between CO Springs and Castle Rock that I had never been to. They had a really good selection of rifles, on the bottom rack sort of in timeout a cerakoted Vanguard caught my eye with a standard material stock on a web color and I could tell the muzzle was threaded. I am a big fan of Vanguards and it didn't match up with any model I knew of. The box label name didn't fit anything on their website, but the sticker price of $499 got my attention. They said it had been in their inventory for about a year.

We were having New Year's Eve dinner with my parents and I mentioned that the rifle was really cool and I thought the price might be mismarked. The next morning my dad told me he wanted to go buy it for him and the family so we headed down.

I worked the price down to $450, and the background check came back in a day rather than 3. He went and picked it up today, turns out there was a muzzle brake in the box as well. Pretty happy with the score, and hoping we can keep his cancer fight going as well as it has so he can use up his elk points this coming season.
PXL_20210103_202928728.jpgPXL_20210103_203059301.jpgPXL_20210103_203116333.jpgPXL_20210103_205004612.jpg

You mention being a fan of the Vanguards.
What’s the difference between them and the Mark V?
I ask because I’ve been recently looking at Weatherby.
Plenty of cost difference for sure.
Do you use Weatherby ammo and how do they shoot out to 500?

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
You mention being a fan of the Vanguards.
What’s the difference between them and the Mark V?
I ask because I’ve been recently looking at Weatherby.
Plenty of cost difference for sure.
Do you use Weatherby ammo and how do they shoot out to 500?
The Vanguards are a Howa action that has a few differences between the Howa 1500 (screen shot explanation below), while the MarkV rifles are manufactured in the USA by Weatherby. The MarkV actions have a shorter bolt lift, and the rifles themselves are much more refined.

I like the Vanguards because they are a fairly economical option, the front action screw runs directly into the recoil lug, hammer forged barrels, there are various options with barrels, stocks, etc., I like the three position safety as well. This one would be our family's fourth, and the other three are capable of shooting at whatever benchmark you want to through out there for a quality production rifle; the limiting factor is the trigger puller.

1609725449117.png

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Thank you!
Do you folks use Weatherby ammo or aftermarket?
I don't have any weatherby calibers, so, no weatherby factory ammo. I have a Wilderness DBM in 30-06, @KickinNDishin has a Camilla in 7-08, we bought a 6.5cm youth/compact this fall for my dad to use on his deer hunt, and he liked the caliber well enough he jumped on this one in 6.5cm.

I also have a Tikka t3 in 30-06 with an extra 7-08 barrel, and en route is a 25-06 barrel.