Weatherby wilderness in .300 WM vs. Savage storm or Savage Bear Hunter .300 WM

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Magazine capacity on the Bear hunter is listed as 2 for magnum calibers.

On their website it shows 2, but everywhere else list's it as a 3 capacity. Seems to be a typo on Savage. It' still has the same action & magazines as the standard 110 rifles. They even list the 338 Federal as only able to hold 2 as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Some big differences between all three rifles in the weight & barrel lengths.

Weatherby is @ 26" & weights 6.75 lbs.

Storm is @ 24" & weights 7.5 lbs.

Bear is the shortest @ 23" with brake included & is the heaviest @ 8.4 lbs.

If it were me I'd buy the Weatherby, although I did just buy a Savage 110 in 300wm, but I got it at a steal for $360 shipped. If a Weatherby had popped up at a good price I'd have picked that since I like longer barrels & lighter weight in rifles. With that light of a rifle you can worry less about the weight of the scope compared to the Bear.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Well the Savage has the Accustock & Accutrigger, depending on who you ask it's either great or not worth their time. I like them since they give a nice option from the factory. All my Savages shot great, even the Stevens rifles.

My only experience with the Weatherby is with the Vanguard Deluxe and Standard model. The Deluxe had too nice of a stock & I ended up selling it, but the bluing was very nice. The standard model has the synthetic stock right up against the barrel through the whole channel so I will either have to sand it down or buy a new stock. I have yet to shoot mine so I can't comment on that yet.

The controls seems good on both, more of a personal preference in that department.

Have you handled these rifles yet? I've learned that all the specs on a page might look nice but the feel of the rifle is what really matters.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d personally go with the weatherby, the vanguard action is made in Japan by Howa and it’s rock solid. I’ve shot a lot of vanguards over the years and I’ve found them to be very smooth, accurate and well built/finished. In fact, a few days ago I was just going through some rifles, making sure everything was shooting well as hunting season is approaching and I pulled out my vanguard back country 300wby, I hadn’t had it out in a long time, I’d forgotten just how nice of a shooter that rifle is.

Another consideration is the weatherby will come with a bell and Carlson stock, I’m not positive but I think the savage will still come with some sort of regular plastic stock, not sure what makes it an “accustom”, probably has a bedding block or something built into the plastic stock.

I’ll admit that I’m not a fan of savage at all, I hate those triggers, the stocks seem cheap, the fit and finish generally seems poor and I don’t like those footing bolt heads. I’m not exaggerating when I say savage is literally the last company I’d ever look at. The one I have is a lightweight hunter in 223, it sits behind the seat of my Tacoma.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Yep, Everything thinhorn Ak said I agree with. My 2 weatherbys remain in my rotation up against some very expensive guns. I just can't seem to find a reason to send my submoa (the old Range certified) vanguards down the road. I did send my savage down the road.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
I really appreciate all this input..... what is your opinions on .300 Win Mag vs .300 Weatherby Mag?

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
if you reload either. if you buy factory ammo 300 win. Have you looked at 300 weatherby prices lately?

X2

Also, depending on what your hunting & at what range, I doubt you'd notice the difference between the two.....at least on where the bullet hits. I'm sure you'll notice the recoil on the Weatherby a bit more than the ol' Win Mag.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I really appreciate all this input..... what is your opinions on .300 Win Mag vs .300 Weatherby Mag?

I think the 300wby is an awesome round but it’s not for everybody. If you are Ok with more expensive Ammo or re load, that’s the way to go. Otherwise get the win mag.

Hornady makes a few that are ~ 50 bucks a box for the he weatherby, the Ammo weatherby makes is more.

That’s really the downside with all of weatherby cartridges....be glad you aren’t shooting 338-378 weatherby, I remember seeing grit on shelve for like 170/Box.....

howl

WKR
One is a real rifle. The other two are impressive contraptions pieced together from boxes or parts. Any of them will work. I would expect one to work longer, but that's a just guess due to lack of enough experience with the Weatherby.

A more fair comparison would be the Howa vs Ruger American.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure Weatherby has parts bins for their rifle parts as well so i'm not sure how that is a ding on a rifle company. The OP already likes the Savage he owns (info from his other thread). So bashing Savage on looks or perceived building techniques doesn't help anybody, just proves you hate Savage's.

Savage's aren't as bad as people like to say, there is a large fan base for them for people that don't get wrapped up in what a rifle is supposed to look like. The barrel nut causes people to dislike it before ever buying into one. The older stock design wasn't great since it flexed in the forearm but since the OP owns an older Savage i'm sure he's aware of that issue unless it's wood.

Only issue i can see is the changes in design makes you have to look at what you're ordering when if upgrading the stocks or scope bases. But that just showing that they are improving the savage rifles for the consumers.

Last edited:
OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Yup my first rifle I’ve ever owned was 25-06 from savage in like 2003ish.... dad got me it as a first rifle....... been bow obsessed for the last 5 years and I kind of miss the snap shooting in the national forest..... however now since I’ve been west and have the know how at least for logistics to travel to hunt..... I need something to backpack with long distance and something in grizz country I can rely on if need be now that I’ve got little ones..... really appreciate everyone’s inputs I’ll let let ya know what I get this Christmas season once I’m back stateside

Zmgsvt

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a wilderness in 300wby this spring. Love it so far, ended up cerakoting it. Was between the Backcountry and wilderness for a while but ended up "making" it a backcountry.