Weatherflow vs Kestrel

Vandy321

WKR
I'm on the fense between a weatherflow and a used kestrel 4500 or so. Just want basic atmpspherics and wind for field use.

Seems one benefit to the weatherflow is it will bluetooth directly to the AB app, where the 4500 Kestrel I have to hand jam the #'s (really only saves me a few seconds, not a huge issue).

Has anyone compared both, is the output data fairly similar? For half the price of a used Kestrel, if weatherflow can hack the basics, I'm nor sure why I wouldnt go that route.

Dont see alot of folks talking about them though, which inherently sews doubt in its performance.

lintond

WKR
I got a weather flow due to the price delta and I’ve been happy with it however I’m a newbie when it comes to LR shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
My recommendation would be a kestrel 2500 they are new on amazon for $150ish. It does all of the environmentals I need. I don’t have much time behind it yet, but so far so good. No experience with anything else.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
I had a weatherflow and found the readings to be off when compared to two Kestrels, as well as not adjust very fast when taking out of my pack or going from a inside a car to outside. Plus, if you have an iPhone 7, you can't pop it on since there is no headphone jack. So you have to fumble with two devices. I ended up selling it and getting a Kestrel Sportsman and haven't looked back. The AB software has been pretty spot on, give or take a .1 of mil. It's too bad that Ballistic Arc doesn't support Kestrel as I like the GPS features on the app.

I like my weatherflow and for $70 I paid wouldn’t go any other way. Mine does not like up to AB. But I’m fine with that. I will agree the temperature is a little slow to adjust from inside to outside. Swinging it around helps but still takes time. Your phone can do a lot of what a meter does but I needed a wind reader more than anything so that played into my decision. Phone apps for barometers

AZ16

FNG
I don’t have experience with weatherflow but am happy with the kestrel 5700 and integrating with other platforms/using its ballistic engine. Not sure if device integration or AB are critical to you but may be worth a thought.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used both, the wetherflow does everything you need for a fraction of the cost. its lighter too!

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I went with a weatherflow, for the cost factor. I'm sure the AB is nice for an all in one. Maybe next year. But for now, the weatherflow paired with AB or 4DOF app and a lifeproof phone case do the trick.

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had a weatherflow and found the readings to be off when compared to two Kestrels, as well as not adjust very fast when taking out of my pack or going from a inside a car to outside. Plus, if you have an iPhone 7, you can't pop it on since there is no headphone jack. So you have to fumble with two devices. I ended up selling it and getting a Kestrel Sportsman and haven't looked back. The AB software has been pretty spot on, give or take a .1 of mil. It's too bad that Ballistic Arc doesn't support Kestrel as I like the GPS features on the app.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
For what its worth to folks looking... the new weathermeter doesnt need to plug in. I wear it on a 550 cord lanyard and store it in my bino harness.

Depending on what app you like, AB and Hornady both, you can just hold the device up and capture a wind speed reading. They have a function on those apps to just use an arrow for clock position of wind direction instead of having to capture the target az, then capture the wind az. Pretty simple to guess wind direction with in a 10 degrees or so, it's actually really fast.

BallisticsArc is the app that you still need to set the az to target and then hold the phone and meter in the wind to capture a wind az so it can calculate that to a clock position for wind calls. No need with AB or Hornady 4DOF

Screenshot attached, just drag the fingerprint icon around to select direction of wind.

Screenshot_20190921-115530.jpg

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I like my weatherflow and for $70 I paid wouldn’t go any other way. Mine does not like up to AB. But I’m fine with that. I will agree the temperature is a little slow to adjust from inside to outside. Swinging it around helps but still takes time. Your phone can do a lot of what a meter does but I needed a wind reader more than anything so that played into my decision. Phone apps for barometers

Try 4DOF...or, the new tan version of the weathermeter links to AB too.