Weatherproof-ness of trekking-pole shelters

RCB

WKR
This is a very broad question, but here goes.

There are many popular shelters available now that are propped up using trekking poles instead of the traditional tent-pole assembly. These are usually not "free-standing" in that they require staking out guy lines and using line tension to prop the fabric over the poles. Lots of manufacturers make products in this space. Seek Outside seems to be doing the most here amongst the companies that market to hunters, but then there are all the backpacker-focused companies: Tarptent, MLD, Zpacks, and surely many others.

I very much see the appeal of these shelters, because when backpack hunting I am probably already bringing a set of trekking poles. Why not save some weight and reuse these for my shelter? My concern, which I'm sure many share, is how well these lightweight shelters standup to harsh weather conditions. Given the fine balance of tension and friction required to keep them standing, I wonder if they are less likely to handle a stiff mountain storm - high winds, heavy precipitation - relatively to a traditional tent setup.

So my general question is: what experience do you have with these ultralight shelters withstanding heavy storms? There's no signal answer - maybe some do well, others poorly. Would love to hear about models that have and haven't worked. Any evidence that they do worse than a typical lightweight tent?

Last edited:
First of all read this - I know they're not trekking poles but this guy Is leading the pack with packable hammock stands that are usable without trees. He quite literally is writing the book right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
First of all read this - I know they're not trekking poles but this guy Is leading the pack with packable hammock stands that are usable without trees. He quite literally is writing the book right now.

+1
b.png

g.png

You asked for our opinion I will share my .02¢;

They are a novel idea. I consider myself "enamored with this idea" But the cold hard reality of it is they work great IN great conditions but when the weather is adverse.....

Look for another means of pitching your hammock without trees - In the article I shared with you he actually gives you the blueprints to make your own hammock stand out of 3/4 inch EMT conduit.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Doesn't matter if it's a free standing or trekking pole supported tent. Tie downs are tie downs. If you're worried about the staking system on a trekking pole supported shelter being the weak link, you should also be worried about it for a standard tent as well. If stakes pull with a regular tent it just blows everything off the mtn, at least your trekking poles will be laying there waiting on you when you get back otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You asked for our opinion I will share my .02¢;

They are a novel idea. I consider myself "enamored with this idea" But the cold hard reality of it is they work great IN great conditions but when the weather is adverse.....

Look for another means of pitching your hammock without trees - In the article I shared with you he actually gives you the blueprints to make your own hammock stand out of 3/4 inch EMT conduit.

He's talking about trekking pole supported tents, not hammocks. You're talking about two completely different things.

He's talking about trekking pole supported tents, not hammocks. You're talking about two completely different things.

I beg to differ - yet to see a tent done this way but hammocks are

mlgc20

WKR
For the weather you are going to encounter 95% of the time, trekking pole shelters will be fine. They tend to be a little more fussy to pitch than a “normal” tent. IMO, weatherproofness is not the main concern with trekking pole shelters. My primary issue with them is condensation. Most trekking pole shelters are single wall. They just can’t compete with a double wall in terms of dealing with condensation management. That doesn’t mean single wall shelters are a no-go. Just that their primary downside is condensation versus overall weatherproofness. The Zpacks Duplex might be the perfect compromise. I have been running a Big Agnes Fly Creek Platinum for 6+ years. But, I am looking to move to one of the Zpacks shelters.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I beg to differ - yet to see a tent done this way but hammocks are

Are you serious? You've never seen a trekking pole supported tent? Hyperlite, MLD, Zpacks, Tarptent, Locus Gear, Seek Outside, LightHeart Gear, Sierra Designs, Black Diamond, Kifaru... all make tents that use trekking poles as their support. That's only a partial list.

Are you serious? You've never seen a trekking pole supported tent? Hyperlite, MLD, Zpacks, Tarptent, Locus Gear, Seek Outside, LightHeart Gear, Sierra Designs, Black Diamond, Kifaru... all make tents that use trekking poles as their support. That's only a partial list.

Supported? Like a boy scout tent? Open ends with trekking poles as your tent poles?

Then yes - But a fully supported tent suspended from trekking poles? Nope not seen that one yet.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Supported? Like a boy scout tent? Open ends with trekking poles as your tent poles?

Then yes - But a fully supported tent suspended from trekking poles? Nope not seen that one yet.

No, not like a boy scout tent. You seriously need to do some research and look up some of these tents. Tarptent Notch or Notch Li, Stratospire 1 or 2, ZPacks Duplex, Locus Gear Hapi, Seek Outside Silex, Eolus, Silvertip, LBO or Cimmaron, LightHeart Gear SoLong, SoLong 6, FireFly. Just to name a few.

OP
R

RCB

WKR

Then yes - But a fully supported tent suspended from trekking poles? Nope not seen that one yet

To be clear, yes, I meant tents that are propped up by trekking poles, not suspended from. But I appreciate any info and advice on any lightweight shelter systems.

Hey sneaky, you forgot Yama Mountain Gear. Oh, and Six Moon Designs. Oh, and Mountainsmith. Oh, and...that's all I got right now. :)

OP
R

RCB

WKR
Doesn't matter if it's a free standing or trekking pole supported tent. Tie downs are tie downs. If you're worried about the staking system on a trekking pole supported shelter being the weak link, you should also be worried about it for a standard tent as well. If stakes pull with a regular tent it just blows everything off the mtn, at least your trekking poles will be laying there waiting on you when you get back otherwise.

Thanks. My thought was that trekking pole tents rely on the tension of the lines to keep the trekking poles standing. But the trekking pole itself might fall down, even if the stakes hold true, and then your shelter collapses. But not sure if this ever really happens?

Quite a few cottage manufactures out there these days, with many/most of the manufacturing being done right here in the good 'ol USA. For probably the most storm worthy design in a trekking pole supported shelter would be the pyramid style or tipi style.

Thanks. My thought was that trekking pole tents rely on the tension of the lines to keep the trekking poles standing. But the trekking pole itself might fall down, even if the stakes hold true, and then your shelter collapses. But not sure if this ever really happens?
No way for that to happen if your stakes and guy lines hold, and the pole itself doesn't break.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Several of those tents have the pole locked in top and bottom. It would be no different than a regular tent pole coming unclipped or breaking. You would almost have to set it up incorrectly to have it fall down. Not every tent pole style shelter is freestanding either, many of those also rely on line tension to stay up. Big Agnes Fly Creek being one, Nemo Hornet, TarpTent Moment DW, Hilleberg Akto or Enan to name a few

No, not like a boy scout tent. You seriously need to do some research and look up some of these tents. Tarptent Notch or Notch Li, Stratospire 1 or 2, ZPacks Duplex, Locus Gear Hapi, Seek Outside Silex, Eolus, Silvertip, LBO or Cimmaron, LightHeart Gear SoLong, SoLong 6, FireFly. Just to name a few.

Thanks but I am a ground dweller no mas - one trip with a hammock changed me for good. So much so that I jumped head first into this hobby - Hell I make all my own gear now.

No better sleep have I had than in my hammock and that includes a sleep number bed.

To be clear, yes, I meant tents that are propped up by trekking poles, not suspended from. But I appreciate any info and advice on any lightweight shelter systems.
Depending on the temperature settings that you're looking at, modern hammocking is on par with the ultra light tent systems you are seeing out there, and contrary to some it is about as packable (total volume) as it's tent counter part.

Bonus on the hammock set up - I don't have to leave bed to cook breakfast or make coffee.

Check out how a True Professional does it - All Clear In Sector 7