Weatherproof-ness of trekking-pole shelters

Elkangle

WKR
If your in truly crud weather I would toss out the option of adding a bivy to your set up...situation pending i would much rather just take the shelter down and not be up all night worrying bout it blowing off the mtn...bivys suck but I dont sleep for a darn in any tent once the winds get cranking...pretty easy to find a hidy hole with a bivy vs attempting to make a roomy camp work in very high winds

But to each his own...i love versatility

Hope this helps

TheGDog

WKR
Aren't most of those floorless? Looking at the places I go... you couldn't pay me enough to not go in a bathtub style bottom tent. How do you guys that go with floorless tent styles deal with that? Like in terms of all the bug crawling in to be under you shade structure? The Hubba Hubba 2 is like my own personal hotel when I'm out there, it's so nice!

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A well designed floor less will handle weather way better than a hubba .. no offense . I have done the comparisons with many popular poled shelters. In regards to Silex / Eolus you can add a complete inner to make it double wall if you choose.

I don't use trekking poles for day to day . I use them for pack outs and maybe the hike in so it works great in the regard. I've also cut the occasional stick when need be.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
Aren't most of those floorless? Looking at the places I go... you couldn't pay me enough to not go in a bathtub style bottom tent. How do you guys that go with floorless tent styles deal with that? Like in terms of all the bug crawling in to be under you shade structure? The Hubba Hubba 2 is like my own personal hotel when I'm out there, it's so nice!

I make my own gear and I made an extremely lightweight PU coated bivy with a bugnet over my face for under my hex tarp. My bag and pad fit inside of it. This also takes the place of a ground sheet under my pad with minimal extra weight.

TomJoad

WKR
How do you ‘dry out’ you shelter when you take your trekking poles with you hunting? Leave them behind? No longer dual purpose then????
As for dual purpose poles I only use two trekking poles hiking in. These are typically easier miles with more weight, perfect for poles. Once actively hunting I want at least one hand free (more often 2) whether scrambling on scree fields and large rock to get to glassing locations in the dark or doing beetle kill yoga. I have a lot less weight on these days: gun, kill kit, e-kit, a few calories and water. When hunting with a partner we hike in with 2 each and donate one each for the shelter.

As for styles of shelters any decent sil-nylon can work great in any weather. It’s all about site selection and set-up. Even if you are rocking an expedition grade mountaineering double wall shelter you have to guy it out for storms. Any tent in a storm must be guyed out if you want to ensure you don’t have a failure. IMO learning to properly guy out shelters is a really important skill to have in the back country regardless of what you are doing.

I currently run three trekking pole shelters: Seek Outside Cimarron Light for fall through spring mountain hunting with 2-3 people. A Big Agnes Scout for solo hunting or summer BC trips with my 6 yo and a Dyneema tarp 10x10 I pitch for solo hunts when going more minimal. All of these options use two trekking poles. The only time I prefer a floored shelter is when mosquitos are really bad. Otherwise floorless is way more convenient.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Would refer the OP to Google the name Andrew Skurka. His site is andrewskurka.com. Lots of great content and first-hand experience. He might be the authority for challenging conditions that involve the gear we are likely to use on this forum.

FWIW, free- standing are unnecessary for my hunting/backpacking needs. Too heavy. As far a hammocks go, I love them... here in the east where small diameter trees are the norm. In central Colorado, where I do the majority of my western hunting, I decided against hammocks. Finding trees that don’t require 2-3x lengths of whoopies not to mention the amount of window makers. YRMV.

My system is currently a Silex with the carbon poles that SO sells. Didn’t want to risk being without my trekking poles during a steep deadfall littered pack out. Previously was a Redcliff. Great shelter, very sturdy Mid. Decided it was too heavy for my needs. Both are very weather/wind resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for dual purpose poles I only use two trekking poles hiking in. These are typically easier miles with more weight, perfect for poles. Once actively hunting I want at least one hand free (more often 2) whether scrambling on scree fields and large rock to get to glassing locations in the dark or doing beetle kill yoga. I have a lot less weight on these days: gun, kill kit, e-kit, a few calories and water. When hunting with a partner we hike in with 2 each and donate one each for the shelter.

As for styles of shelters any decent sil-nylon can work great in any weather. It’s all about site selection and set-up. Even if you are rocking an expedition grade mountaineering double wall shelter you have to guy it out for storms. Any tent in a storm must be guyed out if you want to ensure you don’t have a failure. IMO learning to properly guy out shelters is a really important skill to have in the back country regardless of what you are doing.

I currently run three trekking pole shelters: Seek Outside Cimarron Light for fall through spring mountain hunting with 2-3 people. A Big Agnes Scout for solo hunting or summer BC trips with my 6 yo and a Dyneema tarp 10x10 I pitch for solo hunts when going more minimal. All of these options use two trekking poles. The only time I prefer a floored shelter is when mosquitos are really bad. Otherwise floorless is way more convenient.

Do you have any pictures of your 10*10 tarp setups? I'm leaning towards buying one and would love to see more pictures of them in action (not in a grassy flat yard).

Phaseolus

WKR
Do you have any pictures of your 10*10 tarp setups? I'm leaning towards buying one and would love to see more pictures of them in action (not in a grassy flat yard).
I’ve used the DST on many summer trips and a few timberline backpack archery hunts. I did buy a Eolus as a 2nd and feel it will give a bit better all-round protection.

Attachments

• F228460D-7806-48F9-B816-FC26655B5B87.jpeg
    F228460D-7806-48F9-B816-FC26655B5B87.jpeg
    748 KB · Views: 36
  • 504D1F8B-932C-43FD-88AA-0CECB59EC594.jpeg
    504D1F8B-932C-43FD-88AA-0CECB59EC594.jpeg
    570.8 KB · Views: 37

Randall

FNG
Not a true 10x10, but here's a Kifaru Paratarp. Me and my brother both squeeze in normally. Its tight but comfortable. Weather's never been an issue. We use our packs as a make-shift door. Bugs are the only real downside we've found.
DSCN0669 (1).jpg