Weatherproof Your Sight Tape?

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Hi, all. I've seen lots of threads about what software people are using to create their sight tapes, but I'm curious what you all do to weatherproof them and make sure they stay adhered. Most of you hunt in way worse conditions than I do, so I figure this is a good place to ask. Do you laminate them? If so, what kind of backing do you use to adhere them?

I'm shooting a Fast Eddie 3-pin and have been using blank label maker tape and Sharpie as I make changes and get everything dialed in. But I haven't gotten caught in the rain yet, and I'd like something a little more weather resistant for the fall.

Edit to add that I've seen a YouTube video about using packing tape and superglue, but I had terrible results with that. The superglue kind of fogged everything up.

bsnedeker

WKR
Hi, all. I've seen lots of threads about what software people are using to create their sight tapes, but I'm curious what you all do to weatherproof them and make sure they stay adhered. Most of you hunt in way worse conditions than I do, so I figure this is a good place to ask. Do you laminate them? If so, what kind of backing do you use to adhere them?

I'm shooting a Fast Eddie 3-pin and have been using blank label maker tape and Sharpie as I make changes and get everything dialed in. But I haven't gotten caught in the rain yet, and I'd like something a little more weather resistant for the fall.

Edit to add that I've seen a YouTube video about using packing tape and superglue, but I had terrible results with that. The superglue kind of fogged everything up.
I just use clear packing tape...sandwich the paper between two pieces of tape, then trim it down. Has held up really well for me so far.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
C

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Easy enough! You just put the bottom side of the packing tape down, I assume, and leave a little overlapping the sight tape on all sides? No issues with water getting in at all?

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "bottom side down" on the tape. I sandwich the paper between two pieces of tape (poor man's laminator).

Then yes, I trim and leave a couple of millimeters of tape on each edge to keep water out. Then I slap that on the wheel of my sight and a narrow strip of packing tape to secure the sight tape to the sight.

I've had the sight tape on my bow for well over a year at this point with no issues.

Reactions: Cng

CO-AJ

WKR
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "bottom side down" on the tape. I sandwich the paper between two pieces of tape (poor man's laminator).

Then yes, I trim and leave a couple of millimeters of tape on each edge to keep water out. Then I slap that on the wheel of my sight and a narrow strip of packing tape to secure the sight tape to the sight.

I've had the sight tape on my bow for well over a year at this point with no issues.

I think what he is saying is keep the tape folded over on the top so it is sealed and cut around the sides and bottom, that way the water doesn't seep in at the top simply runs down the tape and drips off on the bottom. Use 1 piece of tape folded not 2 separate pieces of tape.

bsnedeker

WKR
I think what he is saying is keep the tape folded over on the top so it is sealed and cut around the sides and bottom, that way the water doesn't seep in at the top simply runs down the tape and drips off on the bottom. Use 1 piece of tape folded not 2 separate pieces of tape.
Ahh...yeah, that's probably a good idea. You'll still have three edges that you have to trim but it can't hurt! I've never done it that way myself.

Gumbo

WKR
I use a BG Ascent Verdict and just photocopy the pages of tapes, then cut one out, trim it, and use scotch tape to hold it on. I don't hunt in a lot of rain but I've never had an issue with one coming off.

WCB

WKR
I just use whatever sight tape comes with the sight...if one doesn't match perfectly I just cut a blank piece of it out stick it on the wheel and make marks with a pen. Never had an issue.

On printed sight tapes I just use packaging tape over regular paper. I make sure the paper is trimmed down smaller than the surface area it's mounting to so the tape has good surface to bond to all around it. Seems to lock moisture out fine.

Easy to have a short section of packing tape, lay sight tape on it, marks to the sticky side. Then trim the tape to leave the appropriate amount around sight tape, put on sight.

CO-AJ

WKR
Is there a website/program where you can input information to make your own sight tapes? My marks are just a bit off from the tape. I am going to basically re-zero and verify next weekend, but was just wondering if anyone knew of a custom place.

Jimbob

WKR
A bit of a learning curve but gives you a custom tape to your set-up.