Weaver 6x38 - still so good

I've been going through various lightweight scopes on a couple of my rifles, trying to find something I liked and then it dawned on me. The last lightweight hunting scope I really liked was the Weaver Classic 6x38 that I left on my Tikka when I sold it to a good friend. So I searched for a while and finally found a used one in good condition and mounted it to my Savage Lightweight Storm yesterday evening at the range.

Man what a good scope for the money. I had it side by side with my Leupold FX-II 6x36 in twighlight conditions on a 300-yard range and the Weaver was, to my eyes, slightly brighter and sharper. The 6 MOA gap between the crosshair and bottom post has always been a useful measure to me and the finer crosshair helps me aim a bit better.

I had that scope zero'd in three shots and never had to touch it the rest of the session. All that and it only weighs 10 oz.

I know there are other fans of that scope here, but if a person hasn't tried one and is looking for a good quality, affordable lightweight fixed power scope they could do a lot worse than the Weaver. It's a real shame they stopped making those. The one on the Tikka I sold I got for just $130 shipped from Natchez. I now wish I had bought 4 of them.

If I ever come across one in gloss finish, it's going on my 1959 Savage 110.

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
the first scope i spent any real money on was a weaver super slam 2x10-42. damn fine glass.

i also have a weaver 6x36, and it is mighty fine as well. got mine from natchez as well. i bought 2, put one on a friend’s kid’s rimfire and kept one for myself.

Fatcamp

WKR
I should have bought one for my kids .223. If anyone is feeling generous....... 😀