Weight Cut From Beginning of 2021 Season.

huntnful

WKR
I'd love to see and hear about where people cut weight from the beginning of last year and what it added up to. Especially the dudes who were already counting ounces. These are all changes I made from the beginning of the 2021 season and now going into the 2022 season. Pretty happy about it!! I just recently weighed and checked everything after seeing the Nalgene thread resurface, which triggered to me to also get the lighter Nalgene lol.

IMG_7226.jpeg

Ram94

WKR
-Outdoor Edge Razor Pro to Ridge Blade 6.5oz savings
-Woods tarp to Lite Outdoors tarp 6oz savings
-2x HDPE nalgenes 6.2oz savings
-Trim up kill kit 3oz savings
-Cabelas packable rain gear to Kuiu NX Ultra rain gear 10oz savings
-leaving 4x8 Tyvek at home due to lack of use previous trips 7.5oz savings

Total:
32.3oz or 2lbs

Will probably shave some food weight too as I always seem to be in a daily surplus to what I can get down.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
-Outdoor Edge Razor Pro to Ridge Blade 6.5oz savings
-Woods tarp to Lite Outdoors tarp 6oz savings
-2x HDPE nalgenes 6.2oz savings
-Trim up kill kit 3oz savings
-Cabelas packable rain gear to Kuiu NX Ultra rain gear 10oz savings
-leaving 4x8 Tyvek at home due to lack of use previous trips 7.5oz savings

Total:
32.3oz or 2lbs

Will probably shave some food weight too as I always seem to be in a daily surplus to what I can get down.
Nice! That’s legit! I mostly try to just focus on gear. Food just is what it is at this point now lol

I was able to cut a bunch. It was mostly throwing money at the problem but some things were modified and I decided that I really don’t use camp shoes enough to carry them.

Backpack
Kelty & Horn Hunter combo - 8 lbs 15 oz
EXO K3 4800 - 5 lbs 7 oz
Saved - 3 lbs 8 oz

Tent
Sierra Designs Lightning XT1 - 3 lbs 2.5 oz
Z-Packs Plex Solo - 1 lbs 0.5 oz
Saved - 2 lbs 2 oz

10mm Auto Pistol
Sig Sauer 1911 - 2 lbs 6.5 oz
Springfield Armory XDM - 1 lbs 9 oz
Saved - 13.5 oz

Binocular with DIY Harness
Zeiss Conquest 8x40 - 1 lbs 15 oz
Maven B.3 6x30 - 1 lbs 3 oz
Saved - 12 oz

Nikon Tripod
Unmodified - 1 lbs 9 oz
Modified - 1 lbs 1 oz
Saved - 8 oz

Camp slippers
Bring - 4 oz
Don’t bring - 0 oz
Saved - 4 oz

Trekking Poles
Unmodified - 1 lbs 8 oz
Modified - 1 lbs 4 oz
Saved - 4 oz

Water Bladder
Camelback 3 L - 8 oz
Platypus 2 L - 4.5 oz
Saved - 3.5 oz

Rain Jacket
Kings Camo - 15 oz
Frog Toggs - 12 oz
Saved - 3 oz

Gaiters
Kings Camo - 11 oz
OR Helium - 8 oz
Saved - 3 oz

Hunt Area Map
Full Size - 3 oz
Trimmed - 1 oz
Saved - 2 oz

Grand total weight saved is 8 lbs 15 oz

Maverick1

WKR
I'd love to see and hear about where people cut weight from the beginning of last year and what it added up to. Especially the dudes who were already counting ounces. These are all changes I made from the beginning of the 2021 season and now going into the 2022 season. Pretty happy about it!! I just recently weighed and checked everything after seeing the Nalgene thread resurface, which triggered to me to also get the lighter Nalgene lol.

View attachment 398127
Nice! I ditched the Nalgene altogether, bought the correct fittings, and now just have one bladder with me. Connect my pump/filter directly to my bladder to refill using the quick connect fittings. No need for a nalgene. Something to think about.

Oh, and a bonus to modifying my trekking poles. I can now use them as the center pole for my Black Diamond Megamid should I decide to carry that. Saves me another 13 ounces vs carrying the OEM pole. I’m taking my kid on a short (4 day) scouting trip in June and that’s the tent we are going to use.

Nalgene - I have 9 of the 32 ounces bottles. I don’t carry them, they live in the freezer and are used instead of ice in my coolers. No water mess in the cooler and a backup supply of drinking water. I carry Smart Water bottles.

Another thing I changed mid season last year was my knife. I had/sold a big heavy duty bushcraft type TOPS knife. Now I have a little Benchmade Altitude. Saved me 7 ounces. I really liked that TOPS knife but it was just too heavy to keep carrying on backpacking trips.

Last edited:
OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I was able to cut a bunch. It was mostly throwing money at the problem but some things were modified and I decided that I really don’t use camp shoes enough to carry them.

Backpack
Kelty & Horn Hunter combo - 8 lbs 15 oz
EXO K3 4800 - 5 lbs 7 oz
Saved - 3 lbs 8 oz

Tent
Sierra Designs Lightning XT1 - 3 lbs 2.5 oz
Z-Packs Plex Solo - 1 lbs 0.5 oz
Saved - 2 lbs 2 oz

10mm Auto Pistol
Sig Sauer 1911 - 2 lbs 6.5 oz
Springfield Armory XDM - 1 lbs 9 oz
Saved - 13.5 oz

Binocular with DIY Harness
Zeiss Conquest 8x40 - 1 lbs 15 oz
Maven B.3 6x30 - 1 lbs 3 oz
Saved - 12 oz

Nikon Tripod
Unmodified - 1 lbs 9 oz
Modified - 1 lbs 1 oz
Saved - 8 oz

Camp slippers
Bring - 4 oz
Don’t bring - 0 oz
Saved - 4 oz

Trekking Poles
Unmodified - 1 lbs 8 oz
Modified - 1 lbs 4 oz
Saved - 4 oz

Water Bladder
Camelback 3 L - 8 oz
Platypus 2 L - 4.5 oz
Saved - 3.5 oz

Rain Jacket
Kings Camo - 15 oz
Frog Toggs - 12 oz
Saved - 3 oz

Gaiters
Kings Camo - 11 oz
OR Helium - 8 oz
Saved - 3 oz

Hunt Area Map
Full Size - 3 oz
Trimmed - 1 oz
Saved - 2 oz

Grand total weight saved is 8 lbs 15 oz
You ditched some serious weight!!!!

Drenalin

WKR
Sleep System
SO DST Tarp to Yama Mtn Gear Tarp
EE Apex Quilt to Katabatic Quilt
S2S Ether Lite Pad to Thermarest XTherm

Saved 22 ounces, spent $320 after selling the old stuff

Miscellaneous
Petzl TacTikka to Nitecore NU25 with shock cord mod - saved 1.83 ounces, spent $35

Benchmade Steep Country + Havalon Piranta to Kestrel Mountain Caper + Mountain Scalpel, saved about 3 ounces, spent about $60 after gifting and selling to the old stuff

Carry fewer game bags and ditch the storage bag, saved 6 ounces, spent $0

Costco trekking poles to Cascade Mountain's newer CF poles, saved 5.8 ounces, spent $65

Outdoor Research Foray to Warbonnet Stash, saved 10.8 ounces, spent $100

This is my best guess, I've cycled through other stuff too and in some cases went back to what I was already carrying.

Total weight savings 49.43 ounces, spent $580 or close to $12 per ounce.

Should include the cost per ounce saved. It’s an often overlooked metric in the pursuit of cutting weight.
Mine would be pretty high. As I said, I mostly threw money at the problem. I’m ok with that… I could have blown it in Vegas. Some of the stuff I’ll have for many years, some of it my kids and maybe grandkids will have.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
Changing from an Eberlestock pack with scabbard and main frame to a Kuiu 3600 saved me 5+ lbs. Also will never carry my camera equipment again in Alaska = 3+lbs cut off my fly in weight. I can replace it with extra food which I need and maybe a bottle of Irish whiskey!