Weight on rifle scopes

ofl0926

WKR
Good morning everyone. I’ve been doing lots of shopping for a new rifle scope. I have a custom rifle being built chambered in 6.5 PRC. I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to two manufacturers for rifle scopes. Nightforce nxs or Atacr. Swaro z5, z6 or maybe x5. I’ve looked though most of these and glass are amazing. The concern now comes to the weight of the scopes. The rifle will be dedicated to primarily hunting but it will also be taken to the range and used. This rifle be coming with me on my first elk hunt this year. How do you guys figure out what is your maximum weight for a rifle with optics? I don’t want anything too heavy but at the same time nothing too light either. Is there a happy medium number in weight that I should look for or a target weight? Any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although not a full custom build, the goal for my T3X 300wm was about 8 pounds all up. With The right choice in parts, ended up at 8lbs 4 oz with bipod, scope, rapid rifle cover and 3 in mag. Scope is Vortex razor 3-15 LH. Couldn’t be happier with it.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Although not a full custom build, the goal for my T3X 300wm was about 8 pounds all up. With The right choice in parts, ended up at 8lbs 4 oz with bipod, scope, rapid rifle cover and 3 in mag. Scope is Vortex razor 3-15 LH. Couldn’t be happier with it.

My projected rifle without optics weight is 7.25-7.5lbs.

It’s all what you’re happy with. I like 8# in a magnum, some people want a 15# .22 anticipate adding at least a pound with a scope and rings.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
It’s all what you’re happy with. I like 8# in a magnum, some people want a 15# .22 anticipate adding at least a pound with a scope and rings.

Your right. I’m trying to find that happy medium. My first elk hunt and I don’t want to lug around a brick. On the same note, I don’t want something that is so light that the conditions need to be perfect to shoot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the longest time, I didn't realize what a difference there was in the weight of various brands of scopes, even in the same format. Everything from 11 oz. to 17 oz. for a 3-9x40, for example. Fortunately for me, the scopes I feel are the best value (Leupold) for the performance they offer, are also some of, if not the lightest. So that's why I stick with Leupold. When you combine the weight with the quality and price, they always come out ahead IMO. These days, I have a hard time looking at any scope that is more than 14 oz. But that's me.

skierhs

WKR
I run the NF ATACR. It definitely has a weight penalty but for how tough and bullet proof it is I still take it on every hunt I go on. No matter how bad of a fall I take or hit my rifle scope I know it will keep its zero and be reliable. Worse comes to worse I can take the scope off, beat the animal to death with it, and then put it back on and still keep my zero.

ckleeves

WKR
It all kinda depends on what you have in mind for this particular rifle and your hunting style. That’s quite a spread of different scope weights you have selected.

For a long range rifle I’m pretty happy around the 10-10.5 lb mark. Heavier then that and I start to feel it after a few long days. Lighter is nice but for me personally I know I’m giving up some range with lighter guns. That being said packing a 10lb rifle in the timber where the furthest shot is 150 yards a 10lb rife feels pretty silly. If I know thats what I’m going to be doing I’m gonna grab something way lighter and shorter out of the safe.

If your going to be dialing I would stick with either of the NF or the X5. The 3-15 nxs, 4-16 atacr and 3-18 X5 are all solid choices imo.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
It all kinda depends on what you have in mind for this particular rifle and your hunting style. That’s quite a spread of different scope weights you have selected.

For a long range rifle I’m pretty happy around the 10-10.5 lb mark. Heavier then that and I start to feel it after a few long days. Lighter is nice but for me personally I know I’m giving up some range with lighter guns. That being said packing a 10lb rifle in the timber where the furthest shot is 150 yards a 10lb rife feels pretty silly. If I know thats what I’m going to be doing I’m gonna grab something way lighter and shorter out of the safe.

If your going to be dialing I would stick with either of the NF or the X5. The 3-15 nxs, 4-16 atacr and 3-18 X5 are all solid choices imo.

So I just spoke to my guide I am going with. He advised to able to take a 500 yard shot. What do you think about dialing with those distances in mind?

skierhs

WKR
So I just spoke to my guide I am going with. He advised to able to take a 500 yard shot. What do you think about dialing with those distances in mind?

I’d go with a 4-16 power range atacr F1. From experience the tracking on that scope is top notch.

ckleeves

WKR

If you want to be comfortable taking a 500 yard shot on a animal then I would be practicing further out then that frequently.

The Z5’s are nice little scopes but they don’t really fit in the same category as a NF or the X5. I have had a few and while I personally never had a failure I know there have been some erector failures with them. The BT is somewhat of a limiting factor with them also, I believe they are limited to about 14 minutes of elevation off the zerostop if I remember right. That being said they are a great option for a lightweight rig if your not dialing.

Never owned a z6 so I don’t really have much info on them.

The 4-16 ATACRs are fantastic scopes but they are heavy. The first time you pick one up it’s a bit of a shock on how such a compact scope could weigh so much. That being said I like pretty much everything else about them. I’m pretty sure you can drive tent stakes with them when you set up camp and not hurt them. The illumination on them is good and I like the low profile windage turret. Optically they are pretty top notch.

The 5-25 atacr is just big all over. I think it’s way overkill for what it sounds like your doing.

The X5 3-18 is one of my favorite hunting scopes. Great power range, optically they are fantastic. Mine has never lost zero and it’s seen some pretty hard use. The turret size is a little obnoxious and I wish the windage was capped but that’s getting pretty nit-picky.

The 3-15 NXS is a good scope but I never really fell in love with them. I think there are better options out there for the weight/cost/glass. They dial like any other NF and the durability is typical NF.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
If you want to be comfortable taking a 500 yard shot on a animal then I would be practicing further out then that frequently.

The Z5’s are nice little scopes but they don’t really fit in the same category as a NF or the X5. I have had a few and while I personally never had a failure I know there have been some erector failures with them. The BT is somewhat of a limiting factor with them also, I believe they are limited to about 14 minutes of elevation off the zerostop if I remember right. That being said they are a great option for a lightweight rig if your not dialing.

Never owned a z6 so I don’t really have much info on them.

The 4-16 ATACRs are fantastic scopes but they are heavy. The first time you pick one up it’s a bit of a shock on how such a compact scope could weigh so much. That being said I like pretty much everything else about them. I’m pretty sure you can drive tent stakes with them when you set up camp and not hurt them. The illumination on them is good and I like the low profile windage turret. Optically they are pretty top notch.

The 5-25 atacr is just big all over. I think it’s way overkill for what it sounds like your doing.

The X5 3-18 is one of my favorite hunting scopes. Great power range, optically they are fantastic. Mine has never lost zero and it’s seen some pretty hard use. The turret size is a little obnoxious and I wish the windage was capped but that’s getting pretty nit-picky.

The 3-15 NXS is a good scope but I never really fell in love with them. I think there are better options out there for the weight/cost/glass. They dial like any other NF and the durability is typical NF.

Sent you a message

EmanP223

WKR
I and a lot of other guys I know all started with a small light optics. We are all big and heavy now with ATACR's & PMII's. After shooting at distance and getting some skill in that dept we appreciated reliable dialing and more magnification with First Focal optics. Tried to go a little heavier but the optics aren't that great in those weight ranges with the good ones in the high 30's of ounces. We all decided that the capabilities they provide make it worth carrying the weight once you can reliably get a 600 yard hit like it was a 200 yard target. Our rifles are in about the 10 lb range.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
I and a lot of other guys I know all started with a small light optics. We are all big and heavy now with ATACR's & PMII's. After shooting at distance and getting some skill in that dept we appreciated reliable dialing and more magnification with First Focal optics. Tried to go a little heavier but the optics aren't that great in those weight ranges with the good ones in the high 30's of ounces. We all decided that the capabilities they provide make it worth carrying the weight once you can reliably get a 600 yard hit like it was a 200 yard target. Our rifles are in about the 10 lb range.

i get what your saying. makes sense

I wanted a solid long range capable first focal plane scope for my 280ai build, keeping weight into consideration. I settled on the 3.6-18x44 Leupold Mark5, super solid scope and at 26 ounces, significantly lighter than most scopes in its class.

EmanP223

WKR
Problem with the Leupolds is they still can't get them to reliably track. We were all hoping they'd come through but shooters better than us have confirmed that they haven't figured it out just yet. Eventually it'll happen, just not yet.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Problem with the Leupolds is they still can't get them to reliably track. We were all hoping they'd come through but shooters better than us have confirmed that they haven't figured it out just yet. Eventually it'll happen, just not yet.

That is what i have been reading and have been advised by some members.