Weight reduction for wife's rifle?

Trees91

WKR
We recently decided to sell her Kimber Montana. She didn't seem to shoot that light of a rifle very well and I really think it messed with her confidence.

I have a Walmart special adl that I bought years ago to shoot coyotes with. It has a Bell and Carlson stock and aluminum trigger guard, and a older tuned trigger by a 24hourcampfire member.

It's an excellent shooter and the only rifle my wife has ever killed anything with.

I measured the barrel today and was surprised it is 24".

Would cutting it to 20" and cutting off the pachmayer pad and replacing with a flip flop be worth a little weight reduction?

It weighs right at 8lbs now with a nightforce SHV....soon to be switched out for a lighter simple Burris 3-9. (I need the nightforce for my Forbes)

Anyone know what the pad weighs or what 4" of barrel would save?

Mostly bored and alone with my thoughts...dangerous.

Thanks guys!
F9A2384D-A7B6-4F38-BDE6-0B773F87C2D8.jpeg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would save a little weight. If you mess with the recoil pad, you may want to consider cutting the stock down as well. That would make a lot more difference in most situations for women than just losing a few ounces. A well fit rifle is critical for so much.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Yes. I was thinking about that. Could shorten it a 1/2" with a different pad. My wife is 5'8" so she's not super tiny. I think 13" lop would probably be fine..I'll have to check that out more. Shorter lop could work for the kids when they get a little older too.

FLS

WKR
You can save more weight with a new stock. AG composites Privateer will save you about a pound.

FLS

WKR
That’s light for a B&C. If that’s the case I wouldn’t spend the money.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
That's why I'm thinking ditch the pad. I have seen they're around 6oz. If that's the case this would be a pretty light stock. Lighter than most, I wanna say a privateer is around 24oz.

Reactions: FLS
If it were mine, I would shorten the barrel and switch to a lighter scope first. I wouldn’t touch the stock unless I still wasn’t happy.