Weight Training

nrothfus

FNG
I agree with what the previous guys have stated. Pushing heavy weight is great for training for the back country. One thing I would add is with heavy weight training, make sure to keep your muscles stretched and moving well. I come from the bodybuilding side of things, so I pack a lot more lbs on my frame than most in the back country. Even with the extra weight and 4 knee surgeries later, I can still truck it. But I do keep up on stretching and foam rolling. The foam roller has been a game changer. Keeps my legs moving well and from getting so tight. Unfortunately a lot of us sit for work, and that leads to getting really tight in our legs and hips, which causes issues when hiking. I'd say go for the weight training, but also build in some recovery and stretching work.

ChrisAU

WKR
Do most of you do cardio before/after weight training or cardio AM and lift PM, or on separate days completely

We've been mixing in short bursts of intense cardio between sets when doing weights. I.E, rowing 500 meters as fast as possible with the resistance maxed out.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do most of you do cardio before/after weight training or cardio AM and lift PM, or on separate days completely

I’m doing it on separate days- couple of days running/hiking, lift, couple of days running/hiking, lift- repeat

sometimes with a day off I’ll lift in the morning and still get a run/hike in the afternoon or evening