Weight Weenies

j33

WKR
I agree, I bought a scale for some house stuff and randomly spent a few hours going through my pack and made a list. I was shocked about some of the weights and how easy it was to start dropping weight. I dropped a few lbs for sure going through stuff and deciding what I really needed. It was alot of fun too!

Listening to Built to Hunt Podcast #37 with Kuiu Jason Hairston and the sports research found the body doesn't know the difference between your pack and body. Going from a 40lb pack to a 60lb pack you double your energy usage, same as being 20lbs overweight apparently.

If a backcountry hunter doesn't have a small weight scale and spend a few hours going through their gear I guarantee they are carrying a few lbs too much. You will actually enjoy it, use the lighterpack website to track.

I’m walking around about 340 at the moment. It’s the heaviest I have ever been. I’m 6’ 5”, so most people don’t think I’m over 280. Which is more The weight I’m shooting for. For this fall just trying to drop down to as close to 300 as I can, which in years past has been left me pretty capable in the woods.

Started a walking/hiking regiment last week. Been averaging 4 miles a day to start. 5 miles this morning. Will be adding weight here and there to get back under my pack. Where I am currently, my hike around weight with some weight in my pack will approach 400lbs.
I love to eat. Weekend cookouts, rib plates, and my wife's awesome cooking. That was my greatest weakness. I had a come to Jesus meeting with myself. I asked myself do I really want it? Not just for hunting, but for the better quality of life. Still my darkness remains...I want a bowl of ice cream with the kids....and want that second pork steak. I just have to tell myself a hard NO, and walk away. As you already know, diet is the biggest part of losing weight. I'm 6'3" and no matter how much I worked out, did cardio, etc I'd never shed weight like I figured I would. Sticking to a sustainable diet so far as been the best thing for my weight loss.

OP
Where's Bruce?
No one has ever accused me of being skinny. I fell out of doing CrossFit a couple years ago after having my last knee surgery, then taking some pay cuts at work. I have a hard time making myself workout to the same level as being in a class.

I don’t worry too much on the lightest gear. There’s some of my gear that I would take a weight penalty (be heavier) if it just took up less space. I’m not going to spend twice the money to save an ounce or two by any means.

I’m walking around about 340 at the moment. It’s the heaviest I have ever been. I’m 6’ 5”, so most people don’t think I’m over 280. Which is more The weight I’m shooting for. For this fall just trying to drop down to as close to 300 as I can, which in years past has been left me pretty capable in the woods.

Started a walking/hiking regiment last week. Been averaging 4 miles a day to start. 5 miles this morning. Will be adding weight here and there to get back under my pack. Where I am currently, my hike around weight with some weight in my pack will approach 400lbs.

I’m never going to be a “Mountain Athlete” but I’ll get around.

and on the rifle portion. I can carry my 7lb rifle in one hand all day without fatigue, but my 9lb 300WM on a sling makes my shoulder want to fall apart.

Let's save that shoulder. Get a Kifaru Gunbearer. Best damn piece of kit for a gun hunter you'll ever spend very little money on.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Hasn't gotten in the way yet. I usually point my glass straight ahead and move my body to scan beyond 90*. Works for us bow hunters too.

Gunbearer w bow.jpg

Lawnboi

WKR
Put what you need in your pack and go hunt. It’s just that simple.

Bruce you need some new pictures, we have all seen those a hundred times

OP
Where's Bruce?
Put what you need in your pack and go hunt. It’s just that simple.

Bruce you need some new pictures, we have all seen those a hundred times

I just rarely find the time to stop for a Kodak moment or...there's nobody around and I am not carrying a selfie stick. Once I tried to video a bow hunt with a camera on my cap. When I took the shot the camera was pointing 30 degrees right, the hog was completely out of frame. After that photography became an annoyance but I hear you. A few times I deliberately took specific shots for threads like this one...to show the real life application of a product.

Oh and Dustin, the rifle doesn't HAVE to be in your line of sight, the angle of the rifle can be adjusted. It's not a problem when using binos.

gunbearernight.JPG

gabenzeke

WKR
My first trip west we did 12 days. We had planned on 14, but as rookies, we just eventually were beaten. Pack was 65 pounds on the button to start and we even cached a bunch of stuff half way in, and only picked it up on the way out. I've lightened all my gear quite a bit since then. Obviously losing weight is a plus to a certain point, but man, light gear can be a life saver. Just depends on the piece of gear and what you're trading for light weight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk