Weight Weenies

johnsd16

WKR
All this from some Cali guy with how much experience under his belt? Gotta love the internet, keyboard warriors come on to challenge the real deal guys. Wait, what?

Poser

WKR
Yes the 6.5lb gun is better. I do not plan on shooting tight groups when I am hunting. Simply making your first shot count. No kill bottle or ribeyes? You sound like a bundle of joy to go hunting with.

Yeah, I would agree. It’s one shot, not a day at the range. Shooting your rifle is .oo1% of the total experience of a hunt, suck it up. 3.5 lbs gets you extra calories, insulation etc -comforts that contribute to much more use and application than a fraction of a second of recoil.

My pack weighs whatever weighs. I enjoy being comfortable, but I don’t think I’ve ever carried a pack over 50lbs with just my stuff for any period of time in the woods. That sounds miserable.

deadwolf

WKR
Interestingly enough, I’ve been working out pretty hard for the last 8 mo getting ready for sheep season, and I went from 195 to 205...and I’d take how I feel and perform right now over 8 mo ago. So dropping bodyweight may not be what makes your hunt easier, but being in shape and strong will. I’ll also confess I have zero problem buying quality lightweight gear : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
All this from some Cali guy with how much experience under his belt? Gotta love the internet, keyboard warriors come on to challenge the real deal guys. Wait, what?
What does this have to do with the conversation? I am in SoCal too, does that make me a bad guy?

Jimss

WKR
Fortunately for me, I only weigh 150 lbs and stay in prime year-round shape. If I was a bigger guy I would think both would be best. I bought a scale before my first Alaska sheep hunt quite a few years ago. I weighed every ounce of clothes and gear I own. Did a major up=grade that I've always been thankful for. I'm constantly trying to figure out strategies to loose weight on my back on every scouting and hunting trip I make. As you get older and wiser you will likely do the same! I don't recover like I used to even though I'm in great shape!

Do what makes the most sense for your budget. I initially focused on what I carry on a daily basis. Once that was good to go, I then focused on what I'd be taking with me when it came time to spike out. Only then did I look at what stays in camp. There is a point of diminishing returns. At some point, the weight is going to be whatever it is.

Do what you can and just enjoy your hunt.

My first elk hunt a few years ago I was 210 lbs not in great shape, my only training was 30-50 lbs in the pack on the stair master for 30-60 minutes a few months before going out 4+ times a week, last year I cut down to 190 just by eating better did some more leg exercises with the stair master but nothing crazy. Honestly the only difference I saw I got cold easier and stopped to eat more when I was 20 lbs lighter, same pack same gear same 6-10 mile days. I’ve never weighed any of my gear or pack but I never did any 5+ day pack ins either. Both years I went with guys that were in far better shape than I but couldn’t keep up due to the mental aspect of it.

SWOHTR

WKR
From the guys I have met from there yes, change my mind haha.

I’m from Wisconsin, have been in the Navy 9 years, and did my shore tour in Moscow. Now stationed in San Diego.

Can’t judge everyone by their home. Gotta give people a chance!

Last edited:

mwebs

WKR
I’m from Wisconsin, have been in the Navy 9 years, and did my shore tour in Moscow.

Can’t judge everyone by their home. Gotta give people a chance!

Respect. Also grew up in Wisco. Living in Idaho for the past many years has made me hate anyone from Cali for too many reasons to get into. Icing on the cake last year I ran into two guys from San Diego at my truck while I was resupplying for spike camp. I told them where we were hunting and what we were doing in the interest of not screwing each other. As I was talking I could see they thought I was lying or being a dick, or whatever but they said they would hunt a total different area. Anyways these jokers follow me up the trail then to the same ridge my buddies and I are camped on and start bugling every 100 yards. Next day two ridges over and five from where they said they were going to hunt they come trouncing in after I called a good bull into my buddy. After running into us they proceeded to go 100 yards away and start bugling every 100 yards... Not to pigeon hole either but they also had long hair and pony tails haha. It just solidified for me those types of people and their mentalities, I even told them where elk were that they could hunt separately. Same year also ran into a mega dbag with a f350 from San Francisco trying to find elk, his scouting seemed to be drive around and talk to people from his cool truck and find elk.

Now some of you will say "you must be hunting an obvious spot" if this all happened last year but I assure you it's not. Idaho will be ruined by the work from home Cali type in my lifetime and I know it, I will enjoy it until that happens I guess..

Oh god, just what I figured, a couple cheeseheads that couldn’t stay where they belonged! Hey FYI the Niners have owned your Packers for pretty much all of Aaron Rogers’ professional career, oh and Mr. Rogers happens to be from Cali....just sayin.

Sorry guy’s, but I couldn’t resist....being from California and all.

1. It's already been covered, but not everyone benefits from weight loss. I'm pretty much in hiking shape all year at around 145. If I lost 10 lbs, I'd be in bad shape.
2. For me, the major difference shows up on the pack out. A deer, for example, puts me up around the 110 mark. Light gear can be the difference between 105 and 115. For a 145 lb guy over 2-6 miles, that's a big deal. Worth every penny.
3. Light rifles can be shot extremely well if you actually train with it, it is designed well ergonomically, and the shooter knows how to build a good position. Innovation > Compromise.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

OP
Where's Bruce?
Nice to see most of you see & understand the thread's purpose...presenting the opposite of our established beliefs. Just a fun exercise although I did not expect to see belittling or geographic distain. A few need to get out of the house I think.

Last edited:

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Respect. Also grew up in Wisco. Living in Idaho for the past many years has made me hate anyone from Cali for too many reasons to get into. Icing on the cake last year I ran into two guys from San Diego at my truck while I was resupplying for spike camp. I told them where we were hunting and what we were doing in the interest of not screwing each other. As I was talking I could see they thought I was lying or being a dick, or whatever but they said they would hunt a total different area. Anyways these jokers follow me up the trail then to the same ridge my buddies and I are camped on and start bugling every 100 yards. Next day two ridges over and five from where they said they were going to hunt they come trouncing in after I called a good bull into my buddy. After running into us they proceeded to go 100 yards away and start bugling every 100 yards... Not to pigeon hole either but they also had long hair and pony tails haha. It just solidified for me those types of people and their mentalities, I even told them where elk were that they could hunt separately. Same year also ran into a mega dbag with a f350 from San Francisco trying to find elk, his scouting seemed to be drive around and talk to people from his cool truck and find elk.

Now some of you will say "you must be hunting an obvious spot" if this all happened last year but I assure you it's not. Idaho will be ruined by the work from home Cali type in my lifetime and I know it, I will enjoy it until that happens I guess..

There are Dbags from everywhere. How about where I was at in Idaho last year where a group of guys 8-10 trucks and truck campers cut through a hillside and made their own road around a gate because they even told me they got tired of opening the forest service gate after the seen me still using the correct path and asked why I was still wasting time driving that way.... guess what every truck in that camp had Idaho plates ... like I said there’s dbags from everywhere

Nice to see most of you see & understand the thread's purpose...presenting the opposite of our established beliefs. Just a fun exercise although I did not expect to see belittling or geographic distain. A few need to get out of the house I think.
I think you accomplished the intended purpose. This has been one of the better threads on this topic IMO. Bar a few posts, most of it was constructive and showed that it depends on body composition and hunting style.

KBC

WKR
As a former fat guy-maybe still a bit chubby guy, I buy what I can afford that is the best quality. I still have lots to learn and a bit more to lose but I don't sweat about how much stuff weighs. Sure the weight of something is important and it's definitely something I look at when I buy gear, but...I could have a 100b pack and still be walking around only 40 lbs heavier than I used to be.

I'm never going to weigh my rifle or my bow. I will carry what I shoot well. Some items (within reason) aren't something to mess around with. I guess I could lose another 5-10 pounds and carry a PRS rifle haha!

There is a big difference between weight carried on your hips and weight carried within your body.

I think your premise is flawed.

If you weight 200lbs and carry 75lb pack you would not perform as well as a 275lb guy that carries zero weight.
To make it a bit more extreme...a 160lb guy with a 115lb pack would not do as well either.
Keeping overall BMI/strength ratios/cardio the same.
There is a sliding scale in there that would take too long to figure out per individual...but that may provide the answer you are looking for...

I think both...losing weight off your body within reason and losing weight off your pack is the solution.
One takes time...one takes money. Plan accordingly.

Or...you could take the analytical approach...with assumptions of course.
So lets say dropping 10lbs will take an extra 50 hours of work over a couple months.
What is your time worth? So lets say you are worth $100/hr...that would cost you $5,000 to shed 10lbs.
You can buy some pretty awesome gear with $5K and drop those pounds...off the pack.
(assuming: your normal training wouldnt shed the extra weight, your time is worth $100/hr, you spend that found time producing 100 of value per hour, you shed .2lbs per hour of "extra" work)

Fun to think about...

Stop and think about the coin you spend cutting weight. The lightest pack, the lightest shelter, the lightest sleeping bag or quilt...etc. So let's say you weigh 200lbs and your 10 day pack weights 75. Your hiking weight (with boots and clothes, cell phone, and such is about 280lbs give or take. You spent hundreds (probably thousands) to cut your pack weight 10-12lbs. Is that smarter than losing 10-12lbs and carrying slightly heavier and much less expensive gear? I'm asking for a friend.

fatlander

WKR
If you’ve got weight to lose, why not lose it. If you’ve got a 35” waist or bigger, probably wouldn’t hurt to drop a few pounds. The sweeping majority of adult Americans are overweight, so it’s logical to say yes, the majority of people should focus on dropping some body weight before worrying about light vs. ultralight gear.