Weighted Hikes - Pack Weight Goals

'sliders, I've got a question. When doing weighted hikes for training, how many pounds total pack weight do you shoot for under what duration (distance) and work load (elevation)?

Do you figure it as a specific weight (i.e., 75 lbs.) or do you figure it as a percentage of body weight (i.e. 25%)?

How does age affect this decision?

In my mid 40s, trying to protect knees and ankles and still be in shape for elk season. Still over weight, but on a regular training regimen (strength and cardio). Weight 240 lbs (but moving downward). Short, stocky dude. Picture a slightly taller version of Gimli from Lord of the Rings! :)

Currently, the best hike I've put in this year is 12 miles with a 65 pound pack, in just barely under 5 hours, mostly flat terrain with a few hills. I want to do the best I can to get my shoulders and back in shape for moving elk quarters, but don't want to over stress the knees and ankles. Weighted hikes are planned at every other week. Basically two a month.

Most hikes are planned at 7 miles or less. Giving serious consideration of doing short hikes, two miles or less with heavy weight (70 pounds plus) on flatter terrain, then re-routing from the truck again for an additional 4-5 miles with less pack weight (40-50 lbs) pulling elevation and then returning.

Curious on opinions, especially from those in their mid-40s and older who have trained this way and what their results were.

Thanks.

P Carter

WKR
If you are genuinely doing 12 miles with a 66 pound pack, I personally don’t see a need to go heavier or longer than that. Maybe focus on finding more vertical and work on mobility.

I’d personally favor more consistency with less weight (ie, 4 times a week with 45-50 pounds) rather than infrequent hikes with gonzo distance and weight. My understanding is that the frequency of the training stimulus is one of the keys to sparking the desired physical adaptations. To me, the difficulty packing is not so much the weight alone, but rather the weight combined with the flippin deadfall, steep side slopes, etc.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
The difficulty of the terrain and footing will play a huge part in determining load/distance/duration and frequency. Using trekking poles or not is also a consideration because not using them will wear you out more if the terrain is difficult. Age, condition and physical issues also play a part in this....I would say as a good rule of thumb what you can do very other day for weeks on end without severe physical debilitation is a good amount to do....long duration low intensity (zone 1 heart rate or 60-70% of max heart rate) and very frequent cardio for 80% of your cardio total is a proven way to increase aerobic capacity. I live in flatland so I do not get more than 300' of elevation gain in a hour generally, on trails......but there are some trails that have very difficult footing and I really feel the difference on days I use those trails....so footing and terrain is a huge variable....for me. One mile or so along the lake shore with 95% of the time stepping on rocks wears me down faster than 3 miles on e-z footing trails especially if I am just carrying my trekking poles and not using them. I carry them normally but only use them maybe 5% of the time unless it is a heavy load day....

Last edited:
I opt for lighter loads with more frequency. There’s no need to punish your body to prepare for a pack out that may or may not happen.

GLB

WKR
I like to stay around 45-50 lbs as a max. I like to do steep rolling terrain and keep it 5 miles or less. Usually 3 miles in the steeper routes.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the heaviest weight I train with is 60-ish lbs (a full sand bag and the weight of the pack/water/etc) and this is only done infrequently and almost always for 5 miles or less

I spend a lot more time (and more miles) w/ 30-40 lbs

I think it's important to mix up your ruck training between longer rucks w/ lower weight and shorter rucks w/ heavier weights

I also think if you start rucking too much weight, you run a much higher risk of injury- negating a lot of good training

OP
insanelupus
Thanks for the advise y'all. Im giving serious consideration to limiting my longer backpacking sessions to a 50lb cap.

Did 6 miles this morning with 75 lb pack. Rolling hills in the valley but still saw elk.

The next training session will likely be of lesser weight. Much appreciated.

I find that 45-66 lbs is the right weight for myself, who weighs 136 lbs. However I will do a handful of hikes with 90+ lbs in the month leading up to my primary hunt. I wont train like that all the time, but having your body know what that weight feels like is beneficial in my mind. That way when you finally do climb under that bodyweight pack loaded down with an animal, you won't be completely shocked haha.

I have 2 training ruck goals to hit by the end of Aug
1. short/heavy - I shoot for 120# - 3.5mi at 750' vert gain/loss
2. long/light - I shoot for 85# - 12mi. at 1780' gain/loss
I'm 53 and around 200#
Currently I'm at 85# for the short/heavy ruck for 4mi. at 400' gain/loss
Everything is still under snow here so I'm I'm rucking up and down my road.

I believe you definitely need to weigh the cost benefit of protecting your body vs training.
Yes it's good to do a few short heavy hikes to learn how to adjust your pack, and have a base for what it feels like, but i worry about the wear and tear on my body.
My summer training hike is 40 lbs total pack weight. 2.9 miles, 700 ft drop and gain. Mostly because that's the trail close to home.
But it's also a pretty good middle ground of weight, time and workout benefit.
A couple kettle bells go along way with shoulder workouts.
And I think deadlifts help alot with lower back strength.

WLD

FNG
'sliders, I've got a question. When doing weighted hikes for training, how many pounds total pack weight do you shoot for under what duration (distance) and work load (elevation)?

Do you figure it as a specific weight (i.e., 75 lbs.) or do you figure it as a percentage of body weight (i.e. 25%)?

How does age affect this decision?

In my mid 40s, trying to protect knees and ankles and still be in shape for elk season. Still over weight, but on a regular training regimen (strength and cardio). Weight 240 lbs (but moving downward). Short, stocky dude. Picture a slightly taller version of Gimli from Lord of the Rings! :)

Currently, the best hike I've put in this year is 12 miles with a 65 pound pack, in just barely under 5 hours, mostly flat terrain with a few hills. I want to do the best I can to get my shoulders and back in shape for moving elk quarters, but don't want to over stress the knees and ankles. Weighted hikes are planned at every other week. Basically two a month.

Most hikes are planned at 7 miles or less. Giving serious consideration of doing short hikes, two miles or less with heavy weight (70 pounds plus) on flatter terrain, then re-routing from the truck again for an additional 4-5 miles with less pack weight (40-50 lbs) pulling elevation and then returning.

Curious on opinions, especially from those in their mid-40s and older who have trained this way and what their results were.

Thanks.
I spent 15 summers forest firefighting. I was in the best shape if my life those days. Days consisted of carrying around a 20-30lb pack most of the day, with occasional bursts of 50-100lb when moving gear etc. now that I’m retired and mid 40’s, with knee issues, I train mostly with 30-40lb 2/3 times a week. Then once a week I’ll do a heavier 50-70lb hike. Always 2-4 miles, and always with elevation. I’m fortunate to live 1 km from the base of a 4000’ mountain in SE B.C.

WLD

FNG
I spent 15 summers forest firefighting. I was in the best shape if my life those days. Days consisted of carrying around a 20-30lb pack most of the day, with occasional bursts of 50-100lb when moving gear etc. now that I’m retired and mid 40’s, with knee issues, I train mostly with 30-40lb 2/3 times a week. Then once a week I’ll do a heavier 50-70lb hike. Always 2-4 miles, and always with elevation. I’m fortunate to live 1 km from the base of a 4000’ mountain in SE B.C.
What BRTreeguy said. The last thing you wanna do is get an overuse injury. I ease into my pack training starting in May, mostly because of weather and trail conditions. Winter is light runs and spin biking to keep the lungs in shape