Weighted Pack for Working Out Question

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
50lb bad of ice melt/salt
This is what I'm using also. I usually just use one bag but sometimes try and push my own envelope.
a586e6f6fa13970fdb6df5acaaac1a5c.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Mbieri1

FNG
I use tube sand. It’s in a long skinny sack for weighing down rear axles in a pickup bed. It retains its shape really well. Comes in 60lb bags at Home Depot. I haven’t had one leak but I zip tie the top for good measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do the same thing but go a step further with covering the sandbag with a layer of duct tape.

BIG_B.

FNG
I use a bag of sand strapped to my stone glacier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bgiac49

FNG
I had an extra bag of fertilizer that I wrapped in a contractor heavy duty garbage bag and duct taped it up. Slides easily into a top load backpack. Enough weight to start then I can add bottles of water or small sand bags to get the weight up if I want.

gexpro

WKR
i went on amazon and purchased rubber lined sand bags designed to weigh down pop up canopy legs. it was super cheap and came in a pack of 4. i filled each one with 20lbs of sand.
i started training with 40lbs (2 bags) and work my way up eventually training with 80lbs. I run the KUIU pro 7800 for a pack, and it has the internal strap system on the back panel. i strap the sand bags to the back panel and go!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
i went on amazon and purchased rubber lined sand bags designed to weigh down pop up canopy legs. it was super cheap and came in a pack of 4. i filled each one with 20lbs of sand.
i started training with 40lbs (2 bags) and work my way up eventually training with 80lbs. I run the KUIU pro 7800 for a pack, and it has the internal strap system on the back panel. i strap the sand bags to the back panel and go!

you have a link for those? I'm using sandbags that I've folded over and gorilla taped, but still get sand leaking

gexpro

WKR
you have a link for those? I'm using sandbags that I've folded over and gorilla taped, but still get sand leaking

i toss a couple into a pillow case to "create" one lump or to simulate meat in a game bag.
link below.
i have the blue, hard to beat for 7 bucks..

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
I like using water, that way if I want I can dump it at the top of the hill. Saves my knees coming down if I'm doing more than 30#

gexpro

WKR
I like using water, that way if I want I can dump it at the top of the hill. Saves my knees coming down if I'm doing more than 30#

I never really understood the concept behind dumping the contents out before the decent. Isn’t the whole purpose of “pack training” to build a tolerance both in uphill and downhill climbs?

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
I never really understood the concept behind dumping the contents out before the decent. Isn’t the whole purpose of “pack training” to build a tolerance both in uphill and downhill climbs?
There is some merit to doing downhill with weight, but doing so with heavy loads is bad for the knees. So, I'll have the water weight going up to get the benefit of the workout, then dumb some or all for the trip down. Plus if you hike with a dog you can have them enjoy a water break.

I load the gear I will actually pack for the trip so I can experiment with gear placement inside the bag. If I need to add weight I throw in water bottles.