Weighted Pack for Working Out Question

Ryanjay11

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Brute Force Sandbag setup. It comes with 2 tubes that you put playground sand in, one large and one small. Both of those can be placed in the main outer bag which has various handles for exercises. You can customize the weight fairly well. When I put it in my Reckoning, it stays put in a nice vertical line in the center of the pack.

-David

I have this same setup in my Seek Outside Peregrine. It's 80 lbs loaded and about all I can handle. On the bright side, the pack feels like it could handle way more weight.

KayLee

FNG
I use The ONUS Training MULE in my pack. It's leak-proof, made to go in your hunting pack, easy to adjust the weight as needed, and isn't hard on your pack. I was sick of getting creative with odd objects to get the weight I wanted.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
this is what I use: Alice pack frame with upgraded shoulder straps/kidney belt (kidney belt on other pack at the moment) and a military filbe pack body. Has radio pouch inside that fits weight plates and holds them up high. Top and side grab straps and the whole thing straps up tight. Currently has about 45# total weight. The pack body looks tiny but its actually a 90+/- liter pack body.

Attachments

• IMG_5048.jpg
    IMG_5048.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5049.jpg
    IMG_5049.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Mt Al

WKR
I made two weight tubes out of 2 heavy duty garbage bags, one nested in the other, put in "enough" cement mix, roll it up into a tube shape, cover with duct tape.

I made two of these, put them in a med bag (like Marine assault pack size), so it's completely filled with weight. It's not heavy enough for serious work, but I built it for convenience of just grabbing it and taking a three mile walk in the evenings. Leaves my hunting pack "alone" and don't need to switch back and forth. I'm going to fill some MOLLE pouches similarly and put on the sides and top and upper back of the pack, then it should be heavy enough.

jacobs117

FNG
50 lb. bag of rice.

I also use rice. At Costco it comes in different increments and is cheap. I use it mostly to train for the Bataan Memorial Death March and then I donate it at the March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonS

WKR
I built a ladder of sorts out of 4” pvc. Use street 90’s at the bottom and t’s as you go up. Fill with sand or water or both and adjust weight as needed. Put a screw cap on each leg at top and build it wide enough to fit in your pack. Easy and lasts a long time.

So what the heck, all these years I've been doing it all wrong by packing all my gear & equipment that I use in my pack then hiking around and training that way? So is #50 lbs of equipment the same weight? never was quite good at these things. I became effective at packing and found what I could get rid of? Huh?

So what the heck, all these years I've been doing it all wrong by packing all my gear & equipment that I use in my pack then hiking around and training that way? So is #50 lbs of equipment the same weight? never was quite good at these things. I became effective at packing and found what I could get rid of? Huh?
I do have a taped up 50lb bag of quick cretete but I went on a hike the other day an didnt add it. I just left all my gear in the pack (30-35lbs) and went out. Nothing wrong with what your doing. I'm just finding interest in pack training so I'm not sure all the benefits or reasons others do, but I think the biggest point in adding weight beyond your gear would be to simulate a pack out and help you stay prepared for that. Hiking to stay in shape for the season is important and your gear weight helps but that weight is a given.... Its always there. Creating a heavier load for training will pay dividends when it's time to get an animal off the mountain.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jerryb25

FNG
Right on Olsolitaire1!

*zap*

WKR
I like a weighted pack because I do not want to keep my gear in my pack all year. I can have a pack set up with some weight plates and it is just for ruck hiking. Then my gear can stay at home in its organized place and I just grab the training pack. I also know my frame/pack empty weight for my training pack and can add weight plates to get the training weight I want...add 5# at a time too increase gradually. Weight plates are the most compact thing I have found.....and I like a streamlined load out for ruck hiking. ymmv.

ChrisAU

WKR
Yeah for me I don't want to keep my down layers and quilt compressed all year to train with. And I also won't keep the 8-12 lbs of food year round, and I don't want to hike around town with my rifle either.

Eden

FNG
I taped up a #50 bag of feed corn so it's slightly oblong, not as square. It seems to work fine strapped onto the SG load shelf.

MTSabo

WKR
5 gal bucket with snap on lid full of anything free. Strapped directly to my frame. Rocks, sand, dirt, anything heavy. The square buckets are nice.

Ceo

FNG
I use bags of wood pellets also and put them in a old sea bag. I cinch the top with cord to take out any slack.

Andrew11

Lil-Rokslider
I have a friend that uses a weighted vest. For me i just use my pack and tube sand. I like the idea of being able to have a heavy load and using the pack that i will be taking hunting. That way i can also throw in some extra water in my pack as well to stay hydrated when it is hot out.

I just got a Onus Ox bag. It's not cheap but I can use it for a training bag as well. It will hold up to 100lbs of pebbles.

I also have used a Mud River Hoss food bag that will hold 50lbs of pebbles. It's around $20 and is pretty burly.

I just got sick of the duct taped bags of sand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk