Weighted Vest Running

Hey all,
Ive been a runner for a long time. I typically am either running or backpacking (with weight). I'd like to start incorporating a weighted vest into my runs but am curious as to how much weight to start with. I would imagine starting on the lighter side and working your way up? I just didnt know if there was a rule of thumb with this. I was looking at getting the 5.11 vest (https://www.roguefitness.com/5-11-tactical-vests) but wasnt sure how much weight to get in there?

For those of you that have used this in your running, what have you noticed? Has it been as helpful as you thought it would? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

I have the 5.11 TacTec vest that I incorporate with different workouts, I have yet to use on my runs, but I love it. For weight I use 10lb Rogue Echo Weight Vest Plates mostly cause they were the cheapest ones available at the time. I know this doesn't answer your question about running with the vest but I thought I would share that DVOR has the vests on sale for $135.00....

Not sure what you are training for. Agree with the 'running is hard on you body' comment.

In the past, when prepping for backpacking or a mountain hunt, I would wear my backpack with an 80lb bag of rock salt for my water softener in it, doing walks, yardwork, mowing and stairway repetitions.
The stairway reps work your calves going up, and your thighs going down, pretty good.

I'd be really concerned about the impacts of running with a vest. Hiking, yard work, walking, mowing the lawn, stair stepper, elliptical, etc all with weight seem good. Running shock through the joints, not so much. But, I have rough knees and ankles and arthritis in my hand so that is just my perspective.

P Carter

WKR
Agreed with the above. I'm a runner too. I don't think I've ever seen any sort of recommendation, from any source, to run with weight. Why note just separate the two components: work your aerobic fitness through running (or whatever else), work your strength through strength training (which could include weighted hiking with backpack). If for some very, very strange reason you are actually training to run with weights for a competition or something, then maybe do a few runs with weight to mimic the event. But I don't personally see, and don't think I've ever seen anyone else see, any training benefit to running with weights that would outweigh the risk of injury.

Maverick1

WKR
Interesting comments above. Kind of leaning towards don’t run with a weight vest, that will be a disaster on your body, yet many overweight people run? (Sure, a weight vest localizes the additional weight, whereas being overweight spreads it over the entire body, sometimes focusing on certain areas). So, it is not ok to run with a 10, 20, or 60 pound weight vest, but it is ok to run if one is 10, 20, or 60 pounds overweight? Is there a formula or break even point? Interested to hear more.

*zap*

WKR
Interesting comments above. Kind of leaning towards don’t run with a weight vest, that will be a disaster on your body, yet many overweight people run? (Sure, a weight vest localizes the additional weight, whereas being overweight spreads it over the entire body, sometimes focusing on certain areas). So, it is not ok to run with a 10, 20, or 60 pound weight vest, but it is ok to run if one is 10, 20, or 60 pounds overweight? Is there a formula or break even point? Interested to hear more.
When your 40# overweight your body is acclimated to carrying that weight 24/7 365. Weight gain/loss is usually gradual and your body acclimates to it, putting additional weight on your body is much different imo.

P Carter

WKR
If you are not overweight, why would you mimic being overweight? There's no reason to do so.

If someone is overweight, the advice would be to proceed with caution before running and lose the weight as soon as possible. I believe the latest studies show that running isn't bad for your knees if 1) you are not overweight and 2) don't have a preexisting knee injury. So I think the answer to your question is: 1) it is perhaps OK, but far from ideal, to run if you are overweight (and I'd suggest that if you're more than 20 pounds overweight, probably best to start by walking to lose the weight); 2) understanding that the goal is to lose the weight, so it's a temporary situation; and 3) why in the world would you simulate being overweight when you are not.

I'm not aware of any break-even point. Not sure any true studies could be that precise. I think the studies on injuries to the knee rely on BMI to determine if someone is overweight or not.

Either way, I think the point is: what you hope to accomplish by running with a weight vest--which is not clear to me, or anyone else--could be accomplished in a manner that is less likely to cause injury.

OP
I didnt mean to mislead the thread and should have been more specific on the front end. I was referring to doing hill climbs/uphill short sprints with a weighted vest on. Not long distance running. My reference was that I run a lot and I also hike/ruck with a pack on a lot. Just seemed like a fun offseason way to mix things up a little bit.

Poser

WKR
I didnt mean to mislead the thread and should have been more specific on the front end. I was referring to doing hill climbs/uphill short sprints with a weighted vest on. Not long distance running. My reference was that I run a lot and I also hike/ruck with a pack on a lot. Just seemed like a fun offseason way to mix things up a little bit.

Pushing a sled around would be better for “heavy” conditioning, but that assumes your training would stand to benefit from it.

variation unto itself isn’t going to translate into anything meaningful. “Just mixing it up” for the sake of mixing it up, while seductive, that same thing as training since it lacks a clear goal.

Pushing a sled around would be better for “heavy” conditioning, but that assumes your training would stand to benefit from it.

variation unto itself isn’t going to translate into anything meaningful. “Just mixing it up” for the sake of mixing it up, while seductive, that same thing as training since it lacks a clear goal.
Agreed.

I'd attach a tire or two to a harness and pull that while walking rapidly or maybe running to simulate what you want. Hell, put on a weighted pack, drag a tire while going up a hill at a fast walk.

P Carter

WKR
Are you telling us to douse the torches and put away the pitchforks? But online rioting is so fun?

I would think that the cautions would still apply as to uphill sprinting. Uphill carries can be good for muscular endurance if the hill is steep enough, which could supplement the additional work you do. (With the caveat, as noted, to put some thought into what you’re trying to achieve and how this additional work would fit into those goals.)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if the hill was steep and the "sprints" were short (pretty hard to go too fast up a steep hill) maybe a light vest; but hill repeats are usually taxing enough that no extra weight is needed

now a weighted vest for pull-ups, chain-ups, pushups, step ups, squats, lunges, etc- yeah, good stuff there :)

OP
Do you plan to run with a pack on when hunting?
Occasionally it happens.

Trying to make a cutoff point in Wy this past sept. I was trying to get to a spot where I knew the elk (I could see ) were going. Was full tilt uphill for probably 1/2 a mile...got to the top and thought I was gonna toss my cookies.

amassi

WKR
This phenomenon is a result of war on terror vets and CrossFit. Dont run in a weight vest

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk