Weird Findings in Deer?

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I recently did the high buck hunt in Washington and one of the guys in camp was lucky enough to kill a legal buck. While helping him break down the animal we found black/dark brown hard, black lumps on the trachea and one other place near the tenderloins. It didn't appear to be in any of the meat but I personally have never seen anything like this nor have I heard if it. A Google search led me nowhere so I thought I would share and also maybe see what other odd findings anyone has seen. I have reached out to fish and game but have yet to get a response so in the mean time I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Attachments

• 20210915_094225.jpg
    20210915_094225.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 20210915_091935.jpg
    20210915_091935.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 159

rclouse79

WKR
Looks like clotted blood to me. I probably would have cut one open to satisfy my curiosity. That is not nearly as disturbing as what I found in the last AZ coues deer I shot. I was done breaking it down and was getting ready to strap the head to my pack when I noticed the membrane along the nasal cavity moving around. I cut it open and found it full of HUGE larvae. I don't know if it is true or not, but I heard when bighorn sheep get those they can kill themselves ramming their head into a rock wall. I think if I had those in my nasal cavity I would hit my head against something hard.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen those black node like bumps in Missouri whitetails as well. No Idea what they are. And definitely don't think they are clotted blood. The feel way too firm for that. Some kind of cyst or parasite I would imagine.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
Never mind above post. They are hemal nodes.

rclouse79

WKR
I've seen those black node like bumps in Missouri whitetails as well. No Idea what they are. And definitely don't think they are clotted blood. The feel way too firm for that. Some kind of cyst or parasite I would imagine.
I would have cut one open for sure to see if he found something unexpected. If I find something similar I would probably cut one out and take it to a biologist at fish and game.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've seen those black spots in Whitetails here in the S.E.
All through the body cavity.

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I poked it with a knife and it didn't seem to penetrate it and then I tried squeezing one. It was pretty hard and I doubt it was a clot. Some form of parasite is what I was thinking.

hobbes

WKR
Look up hemal nodes as stated above. They are not a parasite. I've seen them in a lot of deer.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like clotted blood to me. I probably would have cut one open to satisfy my curiosity. That is not nearly as disturbing as what I found in the last AZ coues deer I shot. I was done breaking it down and was getting ready to strap the head to my pack when I noticed the membrane along the nasal cavity moving around. I cut it open and found it full of HUGE larvae. I don't know if it is true or not, but I heard when bighorn sheep get those they can kill themselves ramming their head into a rock wall. I think if I had those in my nasal cavity I would hit my head against something hard.
I found the same thing in a Muley I killed in NW Colorado a few years ago. Freaked me out too, for a bit... Probably 1" long, 3/4" thick, uggh. Turns out they are bot fly larvae, they lay eggs on the face, the larvae hatch and crawl up the nose. aaàaaaCHOOOOOO!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
I found the same thing in a Muley I killed in NW Colorado a few years ago. Freaked me out too, for a bit... Probably 1" long, 3/4" thick, uggh. Turns out they are bot fly larvae, they lay eggs on the face, the larvae hatch and crawl up the nose. aaàaaaCHOOOOOO!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Saw those a lot in Illinois whitetails in my taxidermy days. Disgusting as heck. However, the ticks crawling everywhere as they cooled was the worst.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don’t recall noticing that stuff, but I’ll be on the lookout now.

Back in college I shot a WT doe that had green puss between the hide and meat extending from about the spine down around the belly and part way up the other side, and from just behind the shoulder back to the flank. Like pistachio pudding. I didn’t notice sign of injury, but might have just missed it. Real nasty. Game warden said toss it, and I got a replacement tag.

BTLowry

FNG
I recently did the high buck hunt in Washington and one of the guys in camp was lucky enough to kill a legal buck. While helping him break down the animal we found black/dark brown hard, black lumps on the trachea and one other place near the tenderloins. It didn't appear to be in any of the meat but I personally have never seen anything like this nor have I heard if it. A Google search led me nowhere so I thought I would share and also maybe see what other odd findings anyone has seen. I have reached out to fish and game but have yet to get a response so in the mean time I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.
Only reason I knew what this was is because I saw a similar post on Texas Bowhunter forum last year or maybe year before

Nasal bots, deer in Texas get them. First ones I saw were at a check station where they were doing CWD sampling

I can post a pic but not for the squeamish :D

AZmark

WKR
Ive seen those before also but never worried much about them.. Thanks for asking the question for now I know what they are.