Welcome HuntScore--New Research Service

mhabiger

FNG
Looks like WA data is still In work
Yes. I need to load the historic harvest data this week but am at a bit of a stand still on the draw data. Probably TMI but in some states I need to request files different from what is published to simulate the draw. That is the case in Washington. As part of the quality check I try and match the published reports to the files I receive. Then if differences exist try to understand why this is from the state agency.

In this case there are differences and I haven't had any luck getting the department to help me understand why. Its been a few weeks since my last vm and email to them so its probably time to get back after them👍

Jroyce3

FNG
Hey Roksliders, @mhabiger (Matt Habiger) has been a member since early 2021. He spends time on the forum and knows what we're looking for in researching hunts.

He launched HuntScore recently covering 12 species across 12 Western States. Besides the research, Matt's also got a way to help you get tags, including turn-back and leftover (hot commodity in 2021!)

Here's some more info he sent me. Give HuntScore a click here or see their banner on our homepage here

Whether you're just looking to fill the freezer or you're a seasoned big game trophy hunter, you'll find the HuntScores for different units very helpful. HuntScore ranks each unit and species by nine different criteria. You decide what's important to you.

HuntScore has a suite of tools to make it easy for you find your next hunt. HuntScore aggregates draw, harvest, elevation, weather and other important datasets to rank each unit and draw. User can build their own rankings, with tables that allow you to quickly sort and filter according to your own criteria. In addition to finding your next tag, HuntScore have a reminder and alerting system that you can customize so you don't miss an application deadline and returned tag or leftover tag opportunity.

View attachment 307581

View attachment 307582

View attachment 307583

Give HuntScore a click here or see their banner on our homepage here

Give HuntScore a Rokslide "welcome" and hit them up with any questions below.
Welcome. Would love to hear some success stories from using this data.

mhabiger

FNG
A couple of notes for folks following this thread:
  • Talked to Washington Department of Wildlife a few weeks back. They are reworking files for me and I'm supposed to receive them sometime this month. Fingers crossed I'll be able to post Washington draw data in January
  • We've merged the map and table views for units and added a map view to the draws table. So now as you apply filters to the table, the map updates to show you what units meet those filters
  • Later this month you'll also be able to filter by bonus point odds in the drawing table (for states that have a bonus point system)
  • Follow feature: this should go live in January/February and will allow users to follow a unit or draw. If you follow a unit or draw, you'll receive weekly updates about extreme/abnormal weather events, fires, drought and information from around the web related to the unit or draw. So much can happen from the time you apply/draw to the time you actually hunt I really think this feature will be useful.

Attachments

• New Features.png
    New Features.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • follow_button.png
    follow_button.png
    639.6 KB · Views: 12

mhabiger

FNG
We rolled out a couple new features:
  • Follow feature is live! You can now signup to receive email updates on weather events, drought, fire and general internet rumblings about the specific unit, species and tag you are hunting. Emails will start going out at the end of January as we hook up all the processes. If a fire starts up or someone posts something about the unit you are hunting, you'll be notified!
  • Bonus points filtering in the draws research table is live. This was a long time coming but now you can select the number of bonus points you have and then filter on your odds across different tags.
For those interested in Washington draw odds, WDFW has kicked the can down the road again. They need more time to get the data accurate. They are now saying early February.

Application season is just around the corner! Happy researching!

Last edited:

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
Good deal! Let me know if there are any other features you'd like to see to help you waste more time!
There is one feature I would like to see and not sure if it's possible. I can do it with the use of about 3 other weather reports. But what I would like to see is current water, drought conditions of the units. Everybody knows and maybe some don't but in AZ, and NM it's all about snow fall and rain. Up north you can find water just about anywhere, Colorado can be hit or miss. May not can be added but if I see severe drought I know I won't find water, need to hunt water and there will probably be camp fire restrictions. That could also be another factor is fire danger, as my area I planned to hunt in AZ burnt while I was there and had to move camp. Just thinking out loud.

mhabiger

FNG
There is one feature I would like to see and not sure if it's possible. I can do it with the use of about 3 other weather reports. But what I would like to see is current water, drought conditions of the units. Everybody knows and maybe some don't but in AZ, and NM it's all about snow fall and rain. Up north you can find water just about anywhere, Colorado can be hit or miss. May not can be added but if I see severe drought I know I won't find water, need to hunt water and there will probably be camp fire restrictions. That could also be another factor is fire danger, as my area I planned to hunt in AZ burnt while I was there and had to move camp. Just thinking out loud.
You can see the current drought and active fires in any unit by activating the layers, see attached image. These layers are available on the "access" map near the top of any unit page.

If you follow a unit, within the next 2 weeks you'll start getting weekly email updates on those conditions. I'm working through the code and structure of emails now. They'll likely contain an overview of current drought and fire conditions as well as trailing 6-12 months activity

Snow depth/cover layer, rainfall layer and current weather from nearby weather stations are next. Probably in March and those will get added into the email and layers added to the map.

I'll have to see if I can find a national dataset on current fire restrictions.

Attachments

• drought_.jpg
    drought_.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 4

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
You can see the current drought and active fires in any unit by activating the layers, see attached image. These layers are available on the "access" map near the top of any unit page.

If you follow a unit, within the next 2 weeks you'll start getting weekly email updates on those conditions. I'm working through the code and structure of emails now. They'll likely contain an overview of current drought and fire conditions as well as trailing 6-12 months activity

Snow depth/cover layer, rainfall layer and current weather from nearby weather stations are next. Probably in March and those will get added into the email and layers added to the map.

I'll have to see if I can find a national dataset on current fire restrictions.
dam i didnt even notice that !!! thank you