Welcome to Pyro Putty

I was thinking in an esbit pocket stove type setup...

Gotcha,
Yes it can be used in same applications as Trioxane.
The beauty of Pyro, is it doesn't crumble to powder as trioxane eventually will when hauled around in a small pouch in your pack..
It also will stay easily where you place it, and can be "stuck" more aggressively to where you want it.

I was at an archery shoot and saw Phone Skope there and they had small canister versions of the Pyro, as well as the larger ones.

twall13

WKR
Nice bonus, I ordered some Honey Stinger bars from Camofire yesterday and not only did the package arrive same day (I'm local) but they included a small can of winter blend Pyro Putty as a sample with my order. I already have some but I'll take another can as I do like the stuff.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I thought that is what he meant? The camp (wood) stove
What other stove would you use trioxane in?
ya, what he said above like the esbit. I've got a friend that uses the folding military one and plain old sticks. Takes a bit longer to boil water but he says it's worth the weight savings. Not sure if Pyro would provide enough heat in this type of stove. just need to hear from a user that has done it.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
I used this stuff a few weeks ago and it was awesome. I think the pyro putty is great but I think the lighter is even better. I sat there with a bic and couldn't get it to light with the rain and wind. Pulled out the pyro rechargeable lighter and I was off to the races. It WILL be in my pack all the time moving forward. I got the winter blend and the bigger tin (2.5 oz?) and I started quite a few fires and didn't use 25% of the canister. Great stuff and really works.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I used this stuff a few weeks ago and it was awesome. I think the pyro putty is great but I think the lighter is even better. I sat there with a bic and couldn't get it to light with the rain and wind. Pulled out the pyro rechargeable lighter and I was off to the races. It WILL be in my pack all the time moving forward. I got the winter blend and the bigger tin (2.5 oz?) and I started quite a few fires and didn't use 25% of the canister. Great stuff and really works.
good to hear on the lighter! They sent me one and I've not made time to test it.

On the bigger tin, I used a half a can on a five day hunt starting fires in the wood stove twice daily. So 10 fires for half a can..

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I did that helped was to stretch the material. I would make it about 1/4" wide and 2" long and really thin. Then I would wrap it to some small twigs and place that twig almost strait up. Pile a bunch of twigs and such around the putty and light it. I was really pleased at how well it worked.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I did that helped was to stretch the material. I would make it about 1/4" wide and 2" long and really thin. Then I would wrap it to some small twigs and place that twig almost strait up. Pile a bunch of twigs and such around the putty and light it. I was really pleased at how well it worked.

I’ll try it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
This stuff is LEGIT! I just used the winter blend in Alaska on an extremly wet hunt and was able to get fires going any time I wanted. I tried small amounts, patterns and large amounts. It worked in various forms. I think to get the quickest fire going I really liked it when I made a 2" square pattern and stood sticks up in a teepee shape. Started the fire insanely fast even though some of the wood was damp from all the rain and frost. This will stay in my pack. I think I used maybe an 1/8th of a can to start 5 fires.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This stuff is LEGIT! I just used the winter blend in Alaska on an extremly wet hunt and was able to get fires going any time I wanted. I tried small amounts, patterns and large amounts. It worked in various forms. I think to get the quickest fire going I really liked it when I mad a 2" square pattern and stood sticks up in a teepee shape. Started the fire insanely fast even though some of the wood was damp from all the rain and frost. This will stay in my pack. I think I used maybe an 1/8th of a can to start 5 fires.

AK and Pacific Northwest are the ultimate test beds. Thanks for chiming in

Love this stuff. Just grabbed a four pack for my son for his birthday. Not a biggie but the discount code listed on this thread didn't work

twall13

WKR
Will it light using primitive methods?
I can get it to light quite easily with a ferro rod. I haven't tried any other primitive methods but if you pull it apart and make it somehwhat stringy it lights well with a ferro rod. If you just try to ignite a lump of it the ferro rod will struggle.

I can get it to light quite easily with a ferro rod. I haven't tried any other primitive methods but if you pull it apart and make it somehwhat stringy it lights well with a ferro rod. If you just try to ignite a lump of it the ferro rod will struggle.

Referring to magnifying glass and bow drill type methods

I used the winter blend a few weeks back in the rain with soaked wood and it works great!

I10duck

FNG
View attachment 106678
Hey Roksliders, you should have seen my double video review on this product earlier this year. Pyro Putty firestarter is probably the most unique product I'll test this year. It did very well in my tests and I've hear other success stories since then. Give them a warm Rokslide welcome and consider the product here for your next trip. I know that I won't be using Trioxane anymore.
Here's the video reviews:
Summer Blend with lighter
Winter and Summer Blends with Steel Striker
Looks good!