Welding Tikka Recoil Lug?

I am working on building a semi custom Tikka and will be bedding the action soon. I have read that some people have had the recoil lug tig welded to the action. What are your guys thoughts on having that done, positive or negative. Right now I can't think of any negatives other then the hassle of having it done. In my mind, having it welded will be better for recoil and make it easier for bedding. Your thoughts?

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
If you're going aftermarket for the stock and don't mind a little work, get a remington style recoil lug which is sandwiched between the barrel and action, just have to make room for it in the stock and bed it in.

OP
R
That would have been a good thought if I had the foresight to ask this question before I bought the prefit barrel and the stock.

Vandy321

WKR
The aftermarket titanium recoil lugs you will find for a tikka have a slightly larger lug that results in a very snug fit. I went that route prior to bedding. I'd imagine that would produce the same results as welding, maybe a bit cheaper and easier. That kit usually comes with pillars and action screws as well, i think mine was ~$50 or so.

OP
R
I have never heard that the receivers are heat treated, does anybody know for sure Tikka heat treats their actions. If that’s true, then WeiserBucks and ozyclint are correct and it wouldn't be a great idea to weld it.

I also have a mountain tactical stainless steel recoil lug.

I would never Tig weld an action as that would destroy the heat treating. I would however Mig weld it as that can be easily done without destroying the heat treating.

BBob

WKR
BBob, I take it you don't know how it's done.
I don't know how MIG or TIG is done??? Please tell!

I'll add: I laid my hands on my first TIG machine in 1976 and my first MIG in 1982 so yes tell me how they work. I'll also add I have both in my shop and they get used often.

Oh,
I don't know how MIG or TIG is done??? Please tell!

I'll add: I laid my hands on my first TIG machine in 1976 and my first MIG in 1982 so yes tell me how they work. I'll also add I have both in my shop and they get used often.
Oh, your a youngster, no wonder.

BBob

WKR
To the OP and to the original question. Something that works very well for a number of gunsmithing applications is Loctite Black Max adhesive. It's very tough for things like this where you don't want or really need to add heat to something like a receiver or bolt. It's commonly used when adding bushings to bolts instead of epoxy or silver soldering. Easier to use than an epoxy and in most cases tougher in impact applications than epoxy. If you used a snug fitting lug and Black Max I doubt it would ever come out on it's own.

As someone who glues steel together for a living, please don’t weld the lug on your Tikka. First, I see it accomplishing nothing that proper bedding would not. Anything more than a couple small tig tacks would impart more heat into the action than I’d like, particularly on the tennon area. Basically I see a bunch of potential risk for little to no reward. Shoot it first, bed it if needed. If you 100% need a fixed lug send it to a smith for a Remington style tombstone lug.