Well 0-3 on elk now

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
This was only our 3rd year ever elk hunting, and honestly while we didn't get anything we are getting closer and closer each time and learning a lot. We are however really gonna need to rethink finding a good softball (steepness-wise) unit for next year, 2 years in the Frank in ID and this year in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in CO ;) Got in 4 days ahead of season start of 1st rifle, used that time to road travel, glass , quick day hike in to most of our plans A-G. Basically covered the whole unit judging access, pressure (mostly hikers and social media "stars"), and then settled in on an area we actually heard some bugles and even cow calls the night before opener.

Well we ended up empty handed, again. Day 1 nothing, Day 2 We spotted 2 herds 30+elk (and a BIG boy, the kind of big you know 2.5miles out) in a couple parks about 2.5+ miles back and about 2500'-3000' up from where we were, watched them all day from there, made some friends who saw us then saw the elk. Day 3, find out our new friends are planning to head that way too but give us the choice of which heard we want for the day.

Well, the hike up is an ordeal to say the least but we made it, along the way we saw the elk were still on edge of the park and knowing what they did before are very confident we'll be in right spot to catch them feeding out about 1-2hrs before sunset/last shot time and should walk to within 300yds of us if not closer. It should be said we didn't think you could take a 4x4 up the mountain but could to trail head, but there was 4x4 tracks alll the way up the mountain so..... We didn't run into any 4x4s in the morning and didn't hear any coming up all day so we thought we had this park and this heard all to ourselves and the other group was up and kind of behind us watching after another.

Well ~5pm rollls around and BANG/CRACK..........BANG/CRACK. These shots were loud! So loud I was seconding guessing one of us didn't shoot but it was coming behind us, now the group we knew about was only "going to shoot about 300yds" so again thought "great they must of got one of theirs". About 5-10min we see 4 cows/3 calves come running from where the herd went in the morning mouths open tongues out not stopping closest they got was ~415yds. Its 530. Then 545, 600, 615, 630. We call it and start heading down.

On way down we see 2 other hunters ahead of us going down, they get to the their side by side virtually at the top of the mountain. And then we chat. They ask were we were and make it sound like they shot a bull back away from us opposite direction of where we were "it was 800-900 yards" "I'm shooting a 338 lapua improved" "gunsmith says I can shoot 2000yrds" "I'm not comfortable with that I've only had it out to 500".......

Well our new friends come down and though we've not known them long we can tell they are pissed! Well the two in the side by side say they'll be back up in the morning to find the bull. Our new friends inform us that those two drove in at 5pm on the side by side walked up past them (seeing them) and set up above and behind them (who are also above and behind us). They could all see the park we were watching and our friends could see the herd we were expecting from about 1pm napping in a basin at the edge of thick timber, we were too low and too far left to see. Well when those new guys came in they saw the herd, shortly after the big boy got up out of that timber and was gonna start pushing the herd to feed towards us but he doesn't get the chance. Those two rip off those two shots over our friends heads (unacceptable) and over ours (forgivable to me probably didn't know we were even there). Our friends say they saw it hit dirt both times.

Well day 4 comes along and we watch 2000yd guy, and 2 buddies walk right up into that park looking for the bull no one but them think they hit. And we called it. Tired, sore, more then a little bummed out. We did a NICE bull and 5 cows on the flat private land on the way out. But that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes. Public land means other public hunters doing what they wanna do, not knowing your plans and having plans of their own. We felt really good that without any interference we'd have had a super nice bull but wasn't to be.

A couple things we learned:

What Colorado calls a road and what I call a road are not anywhere near the same thing

I need some new glassing mitts or gloves, my FL cold weather alpine gloves are not warm enough and just don't jive with my hands shape wise I guess-so open to suggestions.

My Akto tent is a condensation monster and I will either be getting something else, or might try one last ditch effort customizing the ventilation.- If anyone can recommend a place that could add some mesh panels to a tent please let me know.

*also my Athlon 15-45 spotter broke (not catastrophically) I could still use it but it will be getting warranty work and then sold
*I'll really look at getting some higher mag binos as another possible option instead of spotter

Anyway if anyone wants to PM some nice gently rolling units in any state please PM away, my legs could use a break next year lol.

Last edited:

Gerbdog

WKR
Tough breaks, but you said it, public land hunting can be a crap shoot. I did a single year of rifle CO hunting and.... after an experience similar to yours, i'll never do it again.

Yea those back country "roads" can be pretty gnarly, come prepared to get yourself out of crap situations.

Cant say i know of many easy rolling hills country that holds elk that isnt private or a pretty high point unit.... but those legs of yours... those can be strengthened and wore in over the next year ;)

I always try and get out of sight when glassing especially when scouting a few days before. Nothing gives away elk faster than a few guys in trucks staring through glass at a location. I always park a few hundred yards back to make it look as though I'm on foot then find a comfy spot out of sight of the road to watch....

Laramie

WKR
Guessing they probably knew they missed and said they were coming back to "look for the bull" so you guys wouldn't go back in the morning. In those OTC or low point units you can count on one thing. If you can glass elk from a road, someone else has likely seen them too.

Umm who shoots in the evening with no intention of recovering the animal that night? I'll go back for another load the next day but I'll be damned if I'm leaving a shot (maybe dead?) animal over night without even looking for it, processing it, and hanging quarters for the morning. And since I'm there I might as well take the first load out that night.

If you aren't going to immediately recover the animal, don't shoot. What a bunch of losers.

ElMuercielago

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work! We also had some less-than-intelligent road hunters totally screw up our cow elk hunt this year. Way it goes sometimes! Not nearly as bad as your story though (I would have been mad).

Gloves-wise...I absolutely LOVE Hestra gloves. They aren't hunting specific but will handle pretty much anything (I first began using them in SARs). I think I may even have an extra 50% off free shipping coupon (but I'd have to look). DM me if your interested.

Ewest15

FNG
The guys who "shot" the bull are the worst type of hunter IMO. Doesn't seem like they cared much for the animal, shooting at that distance -so they say- and not putting in the effort to find him that night. Hunters need to be respectful of each other and the animal. Agree they should have got to work that night. Sorry your experience was such but sounds like you learned a lot.

The guys who "shot" the bull are the worst type of hunter IMO. Doesn't seem like they cared much for the animal, shooting at that distance -so they say- and not putting in the effort to find him that night. Hunters need to be respectful of each other and the animal. Agree they should have got to work that night. Sorry your experience was such but sounds like you learned a lot.
I don't mind long range hunters if they are decent. But most are not in good shape, take no consideration about covering 1000y of rough terrain and tracking an animal. Just gives all LR hunters a bad name. Yeah, and if you shoot it you break it down as quickly as possible, next day is lazy and unethical hunting IMO (most of the time).

cnelk

WKR
Umm who shoots in the evening with no intention of recovering the animal that night? I'll go back for another load the next day but I'll be damned if I'm leaving a shot (maybe dead?) animal over night without even looking for it, processing it, and hanging quarters for the morning. And since I'm there I might as well take the first load out that night.

If you aren't going to immediately recover the animal, don't shoot. What a bunch of losers.

There are times you just don’t want to bump an animal that you shot in the evening.
Best to let them expire and get them in the morning

There are times you just don’t want to bump an animal that you shot in the evening.
Best to let them expire and get them in the morning
Absolutely. There are circumstances for sure. But the majority of the time when an animal is left overnight it's hunter negligence or laziness.

Ewest15

FNG
Absolutely. There are circumstances for sure. But the majority of the time when an animal is left overnight it's hunter negligence or laziness.
I agree there are times when it's appropriate.i got the felling from the OP that's it was lazy hunters. I always hope that we try to do the best by the animal as hunters.

I love how people think a new expensive rifle some gunsmith built for them is magically going to turn them into a better hunter.

As someone who practices long range shooting, I have realized that most people have no clue what their bullet will do past 300 yards. Nor do they understand how much altitude, temp and wind effects their bullet. Nor do they understand how well their bullet will perform at longer ranges.

kroppr77

FNG
Just a suggestion, do you ever think of skipping scouting so you get more days to hunt? I’d rather have 3-4 extra days to hunt than that of scouting. Say you run into an elk, you then can take it rather than hope it’s there in 2-3 days. A lot of times in my case I can get pretty close to them just by following trails and playing thermals, rather than driving. Also think if it this way, you were there for 7-8 days and only hunter for 1/2 of them, as well as 1/2 of season. I obviously don’t know if you did, but I’ve learned the hard way to never quit in a hunt. You took the time and the $700 elk tag. Go grind it out and leave no doubt. I feel like it haunts me all year otherwise.
Anyways you sound persistent and that you have time on your hands. I’d look into archery for a longer season, and easier ability to locate elk.

Hunterbug

FNG
I went 0 for a bunch before I got my first elk. Now I do better than average. You'll get it. Better luck next year.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I have a hileberg tent as well. Though its the Nallo 2 GT. Sometimes condensation is unavoidable but I found that If I was on an incline and my pad was sliding down and blocking the vents by my feet then it was condensation galore. If it is set up flat and I'm not jamming up the vent then zero condensation. Do you have all of the vents open on it and is the airflow unrestricted?

Kind of crazy people would shoot over you like that but then again, growing up in Illinois and hunting in the limited state park areas around Chicago we'd run into bozos shooting pheasant over our heads. Typically you'd park your car in the direction you were going to hunt in the area you drew and there would be jabronis walking out into the area with loaded weapons before legal shooting hours and in the direction our vehicle was pointing. Obviously its public land but also there are unspoken rules which decent folk abide by. Most times I've been fishing in the midwest I've been tempted to throw an ounce weight or big ass musky lure in the direction of some clown cutting off my drift.

Anyway, its a good sign that you're getting into animals. If you have a few points there may be some decent draw units that have less people.