Well crap! Draw board mishap.

87TT

WKR
Well I was putting on a new set of strings on the Helix. Not sure what happened. I had been checking and adjusting the cam timing. I hooked up the scale to the D loop and the other end was to the draw board. Just like I had a hundred times or more. Went to crank it and BLAM. The scale had a to say the least, catastrophic failure. Just as the cams were rolling over, it exploded. Pieces all over the garage. The only thing I can figure is it got twisted or bound up. Anyway, I never really liked it. I ordered a better one. Then I saw that a piece of it took out my QAD Ultra rest. The launcher was gone, broken off and the shaft was bent. Now I will have to keep my eye open for one in the classifieds. I have one I can use but it has a slight issue so I won't use it for hunting. I sometimes have to cock it twice before it stays up.

Rob5589

WKR
I get a little nervous when drawing with the scale in place. I haven't had a failure (knock on wood) but I still use a loop of paracord as a safety just in case every time I use the draw board.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
I’m always very nervous about that happening, only takes some random weirdness for catastrophe to happen. Good luck getting back up and running!

OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
The bow is fine. I used to use a paracord loop back up to. But the outcome would have been the same. If the loop was loose enough to work, the scale still would have blown up. The max weight is at the early part of the draw cycle so it wasn't close to full draw. So nowhere near top speed like a dryfire.

OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
I'd contact qad and tell them what happened.

Won't surprise me if they help you out.
I contacted them before (email) on the one that wouldn't stay cocked every time and no luck then.

OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
Always worried about the Allen scale as it was only rated at 110 lbs. I ordered a October Mountain Products that is rated to 500 lbs. and can be used to weight your hanging meat.

QAD repaired a faulty rest for me a few months ago. They were not much help over the phone, but told me to take it to a shop that was an authorized dealer. The shop sent it in and I had it back in a week. No charge. I believe it's a lifetime warranty. My rest was 6 years old. Might be worth a try in your situation?

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds like your bow survived though? I have this exact fear using a LCA rated for 110lbs, but when I'm timing the cams I don't put a scale on it until I'm adjusting the let off.

I almost always nock an arrow and put a target in front of the bow and face it somewhere that if something breaks the arrow isn't going to hit something I don't want it to.

I contacted them before (email) on the one that wouldn't stay cocked every time and no luck then.

That doesn't line up with what I have heard. I haven't had to use their warranty but I have always heard good things about it.

Which rest exactly is it that you have? Hdx?

The one that wouldn't stay cocked should have been covered under their warranty. It looks like their system allows a dealer to substitute a product immediately from inventory, then qad replaces it to the dealer. In this case I wouldn't expect them to immediately replace it, but send it to them and see what they do. I'd bet they fix it.

Just like bows the company might not deal directly with a consumer, but thru a dealer.

OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
I took it to a bow shop that is a dealer. They fiddled with it and said it was fine. They told me there wasn't any warranty. I put it on the Helix yesterday and it still doesn't catch every time when I cock it with my thumb. I may try a different dealer someday. In the mean time I'll just order another one. Like having a spare. As for the broken one, I wouldn't expect them to warranty against damage caused by something blowing up. Nocking and arrow may have to happen from now on.
Oh and it was the HDX

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
I get a little nervous when drawing with the scale in place. I haven't had a failure (knock on wood) but I still use a loop of paracord as a safety just in case every time I use the draw board.
Forgive my ignorance but why would you draw it with a scale in place? I've never seen that.