Well, I booked it. Alaska 2021

2021 drop hunt for me and a buddy at Nunya Lake in Alaska. We are still ironing out the details, but looks like it may end up being a combo type hunt that we hike and pack raft out of.

I researched a list of over 100 outfitters, air taxis, and transporters, mostly via the internet, but lots of phone calls too. Finally, I decided we are only 16 months from moose season, and it is time to put something on paper. The options were pretty daunting, but I'll try to share what I've learned and what I continue to learn through the next year and a half. I'm grateful for all of the other members here sharing their information and helping others, so this will be my attempt to do the same.

First were the 4 categories of services to choose from:

Guides were out of our budget, so they were off the list immediately.

Outfitters that provide your camp for you, select your area, etc. that I spoke to were mostly part of a guide "system". I've heard horror stories about outfitters putting you in places with terrible gear. I have nice gear appropriate for the trip, so we didn't really need any equipment. The other thing that I have heard and experienced with Outfitters that also guide is that they are dropping the unguided folks in places the guides don't want to hunt. I am not saying all of them do this, but I didn't want any competition from the people that we are paying to put us into good territory.

Transporters and air taxis are both legitimate and licensed through the ADF&G. The big difference between the two is that Air Taxis are not allowed to pick locations for you or scout areas for you. They are only able to take you to and from a location that you pick. Transporters have more leeway where this is concerned, and can make recommendations. They aren't allowed to help you to process or pack your kill, but can aid with logistics and such. In my research, transporters were about double the price of air taxis. That helps them to cover the costs of helping you plan your hunt.

The other thing to consider is hunt planners. These are basically consultants that aid you in selecting a transporter or air taxi, may rent gear, help you determine a good location and tactics for your specific species and location. This is the option that we finally settled on. I'm pretty arrogant, but not so egotistical that I think I can find great moose hunting from Colorado. After doing the math, the cost of a planner and air taxi was about the same as a transporter doing it all.

If anyone wants to share information, or has questions that I might be able to help with, that is what forums are all about, right?

OP
Gunnersdad49
In my opinion you could not have made a better choice! My friend and I used him last year and think very highly of him! Great call!!
Thanks, If the name matches up with what Linda said, you might be booked with them for 2022? Is that your group?

I'm assuming you ended up getting caribou lake.I had been speaking with Linda and the air taxi about hashing out the details yesterday to book it for me and my son but it looks like you beat me to it.I guess I shouldn't have dragged my feet.Sounds like it will be an awesome place for the adventure, good luck and post what I missed.

OP
Gunnersdad49
Yep, you made a good choice! Congrats, now try your best to not day dream about the hunt for the next year and a half! Just kidding, the anticipation is often more fun than the hunt, at least it'll last longer :)
Good to hear Nick. When you asked who we went with, I was nervously awaiting your reply. I casually mentioned booking this to my better half yesterday. She stated (shouted?) "you better not give me any crap for spending money ever again!". So I am pretty sure she is happy for me.

Following this thread and looking forward to your updates!

Moose isn't realistically feasible for me until at least 2022 or 2023 but am interested to hear about how this goes as something like this would likely be the route I take as well.

I just looked through their website a little, it says you have to book 2 plans per trip. Is that included in the price they list or is it double what they are listed at? For example, several of the locations I looked at were $3,750 and I didn't know if that is per person or if it breaks down to $1,875 per person.

Thanks...and enjoy the next 18 months of anticipation!

OP
Gunnersdad49
I just looked through their website a little, it says you have to book 2 plans per trip. Is that included in the price they list or is it double what they are listed at? For example, several of the locations I looked at were $3,750 and I didn't know if that is per person or if it breaks down to $1,875 per person.

Thanks...and enjoy the next 18 months of anticipation!
*disclaimer,I am not employed by them and can't make statements on their behalf, just relaying my understanding*

The price is per person. That almost kept me from calling them. I called anyway. I'm glad that I did, because it isn't $3750 plus the $6000 that transporters wanted to charge per person. It is that price plus splitting the cost of a flight in and flight out with your hunting buddy. That keeps the price for the planning and flights close to what the transporters charge total.

Thanks. It is more like decades of anticipation, culminating in the next year and a half.

OldCrusty

FNG
Troy & Linda at 60 Inch Club are true hunters, you made the best possible choice considering everyone else. When I hear about them down here in Montana from other hunters and the conversation is about how successful they are as hunters my ears perk up.
For everyone els reading this keep in mind that over 90% off all "Transporters / Air-taxi Services ARE NOT HUNTERS.
Also good call on your instincts regarding Outfitters, your assessment is SPOT ON.

Thanks. It is more like decades of anticipation, culminating in the next year and a half.

Great to read your thread, and can definitely identify with how you feel today. Making the commitment to go is a great feeling. The next 400+ days will pass more rapidly than you expect....especially when you look back after the adventure. Enjoy the road leading to the destination.

mcseal2

WKR
Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your hunt. I hope to save up for another moose hunt down the road. I am doing caribou this year and want to go to Kodiak in 2022 so I’m a few years out right now.

It’s sure hard to remember my bull thrashing that tree and not want to go again though!

OP
Gunnersdad49
It's hard to not want to go out and get a bunch of gear and justify it for this trip. Realistically, I have what I need, and am trying to keep costs down, pay for airfare with miles, etc. Responsibility is the pits. I want to go already!

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats gunnersdad... you have more willpower than me... I went all kid in a candy store after I booked. My grandpa always looks at my wife and tells her we don’t win a prize for taken money to the grave. Once again, congrats!

OP
Gunnersdad49
Sounds like a wise man, your Grandpa!

Hitting the rifle range today. Never too early to work up a load for a hunt, then practice with it, right? I've got a Weatherby MkV in .340 Weatherby Mag that will be coming on the hunt with me. I doubt I can afford to do this hunt again in the near future, so I'm opting for the rifle over the bow.

I may get to spend a little money on a pack raft though. Rentals are around $600 for the duration of the trip, and for that price I can probably pick one up and practice with it over the next year.

I'm considering the NRS packraft, because I have a connection to get one at a significant discount. Also looked at the alpakarafts but they are pretty steeply priced for as often as I would use it.

I may get to spend a little money on a pack raft though. Rentals are around $600 for the duration of the trip, and for that price I can probably pick one up and practice with it over the next year.

I'm considering the NRS packraft, because I have a connection to get one at a significant discount. Also looked at the alpakarafts but they are pretty steeply priced for as often as I would use it.
If you’re looking to save some coin, and you have the time for a little project, you might want to check these out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Unfortunately, the NRS is small and won't hold you and any meat. You need a raft that will handle about 1000lbs to deal with you, your gear and a moose. Double that for your partner. Or a fleet of smaller rafts.

I went through this exercise for this fall and I came to the conclusion, the biggest raft possible the better.

The DIY option is a neat one. Can do whatever you want going that direction.

Jeremy