Well…. I just ordered some gear

bbrown

WKR
Oh the moose hunt gear mind f*ck… I kinda miss those days.

On our AK fly-in drop camp moose hunt in ‘18, my buddy and I both used the G3 guide boots with no complaints and both still use them today. He went with the Simms G3 waders while I tried to save a few bucks and went with some “top of the line” Reddington. After too many hours cutting up my bull in ankle deep water one of my feet was wet and his were dry. That was more annoying for the rest of the trip as the neoprene booty wouldn’t dry out. Bagel bag to the rescue - mom would be proud… To be fair they didn’t leak before and still don’t leak under normal wading and use. I think it was just sitting in water for that long eventually forced water through a weak spot.

There were a couple days on our hunt when it got hot enough that waders sucked (not that it happened but… picture 2 grown ass’d men sitting around calling moose with their waders around their knees…) but they worked perfect the rest of the time. I contemplated using hippers instead and was pretty against the idea of chest waders from the start but glad I went with the chest waders looking back. One of those days my buddy decided to head out from camp in the BOGs we both brought for camp shoes ( highly recommended by the way) and he immediately stepped off a muskeg into a hole up to his knee.

As far as rain gear, my buddy and I both packed a lighter weight breathable jackets (Kuiu chugach and FL Seak) well as the HH Impertect. Wore the HH when it was raining when we left camp and packed the lighter weight the rest of the time and worked out great. Although the weather was surprisingly good for our trip and we only got constant weather for a couple days of our hunt.

That hunt was one of the better hunts I have been on - it was a beat down mentally as it was just so different from our usual hunts. But once we relaxed and accepted the hunt for what it was we really enjoyed and appreciated the trip that much more. I send you our gear lists from that trip if you want and happy to answer any other questions.

OP
P
Oh the moose hunt gear mind f*ck… I kinda miss those days.

On our AK fly-in drop camp moose hunt in ‘18, my buddy and I both used the G3 guide boots with no complaints and both still use them today. He went with the Simms G3 waders while I tried to save a few bucks and went with some “top of the line” Reddington. After too many hours cutting up my bull in ankle deep water one of my feet was wet and his were dry. That was more annoying for the rest of the trip as the neoprene booty wouldn’t dry out. Bagel bag to the rescue - mom would be proud… To be fair they didn’t leak before and still don’t leak under normal wading and use. I think it was just sitting in water for that long eventually forced water through a weak spot.

There were a couple days on our hunt when it got hot enough that waders sucked (not that it happened but… picture 2 grown ass’d men sitting around calling moose with their waders around their knees…) but they worked perfect the rest of the time. I contemplated using hippers instead and was pretty against the idea of chest waders from the start but glad I went with the chest waders looking back. One of those days my buddy decided to head out from camp in the BOGs we both brought for camp shoes ( highly recommended by the way) and he immediately stepped off a muskeg into a hole up to his knee.

As far as rain gear, my buddy and I both packed a lighter weight breathable jackets (Kuiu chugach and FL Seak) well as the HH Impertect. Wore the HH when it was raining when we left camp and packed the lighter weight the rest of the time and worked out great. Although the weather was surprisingly good for our trip and we only got constant weather for a couple days of our hunt.

That hunt was one of the better hunts I have been on - it was a beat down mentally as it was just so different from our usual hunts. But once we relaxed and accepted the hunt for what it was we really enjoyed and appreciated the trip that much more. I send you our gear lists from that trip if you want and happy to answer any other questions.

Sounds like I’m on the right track.

What are BOGs? Ah, gotcha. Calf high rubber boot type deal.

OP
P
FYI - No tundra hippies in XL until November. Was finally able to get a hold of somebody there. I may try the XXL.

Anybody know of a similar product out there?

OP
P
Nice! Let me know what you think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/...-anyone-waterproof-socks-when-fishing.853019/

Sealskinz Waterproof socks are not waterproof. Water will get through the membrane if you walk in water with them. That being said i still like them when I wet wade because the water that does get through will warm. The one thing with the heavy Sealskinz socks to keep in mind is that they have a pretty hard structure for socks. So if you are used to a soft feeling sock that molds around your foot this won’t be it. The lightweight waterproof socks feel more like normal socks but won’t be as warm.”

Hopefully this is not the case. At $55 a pair they aren’t exactly cheap!

OP
P
Nice! Let me know what you think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They just showed up. Seem really nice. Warm for sure. Have not water tested them. I wear a 12 shoe usually and two feet are half size different. The XL sock just a touch large on small foot…. But not bad.
C8610EEF-E191-4379-BDB0-D3B5D579EA5D.jpeg

OP
P
All is good with the world!

Plenty of quality ammo for next fall, and some cheap stuff for knocking around here!

Very excited. Some days not so much, but having stuff show up at door is pretty invigorating!

Bought this gun for myself when our boy was born two years ago. Sole purpose was Alaska. I’ve killed a few deer with it. She’s a straight up hole puncher… can’t wait to let it meet the intended target! 😊 Hopefully it likes the TTSX 180s. So far it’s shot everything well, so I’m guessing it’ll be just fine. Hope to find out tomorrow while putting some cameras up.

C3A80598-671E-4A03-AFAF-27AFBEA161A3.jpeg15A4D61F-8BAF-483D-A14B-622AAB68738B.jpeg9FC87923-452D-4F34-886D-83D658128BD4.jpeg

OP
P
Couple more items came in today. Gotta say, for $40 each I was pretty impressed. Could use a touch more length, but nice construction and way more padding than I had expected. Will use these for flight into field and on boat if we rent one.

“Iron Jia’s”
1FFF8106-5865-4289-A24F-827702E3B66D.jpeg

Last edited:

Voyageur

WKR
I took the same approach on our hunt. We used Simms Freestone wading boots 100% of the time. If not wearing wading pants we wore neo socks. When I trained with that setup the neo socks were hot as hell but I was training in 90deg weather. When we hunted it was cold enough where I never noticed my feet getting too warm... and that's with wearing a merino sock underneath the neo sock. Also, the neo socks were very durable
Curious if you have used both the neoprene waterproof socks and the sealskinz socks, and if so, which you prefer?
Thanks.

Curious if you have used both the neoprene waterproof socks and the sealskinz socks, and if so, which you prefer?
Thanks.
I have not used the Sealskinz socks but @Panhandler80 has and I believe he really liked them. For some reason it's almost impossible to find neoprene socks that are waterproof. All the ones I've found that looked good were for "wet wading".

I ended up bringing Crispi Nevadas & my Simms Freestone boots last time I went (2022). On days where I knew I would be walking in water I wore the Simms with wading pants, on days I thought I would be walking on dry ground I wore my Crispis with Attack pants with Yukon Gaiters &/or Kutana rain pants. I probably went 50/50 on boot usage. When using the Freestones, I wore a merino sock under the booty as the wader bootys are waterproof.

In 2022 we had a few really nice days starting our hunt but once it started raining, it rained every day until we left. Midway through, I found myself really enjoying wearing the wading pants and Freestones. The Freestones surprisingly do really well hiking as they're very comfortable and never had an issue with blisters.

Voyageur

WKR
Thanks, @Robinhood21 , appreciate the detailed reply.
The more I dig into this the more I'm leaning towards bringing just the waders and leaving the extra pair of hunting boots at home. Both the weight savings and space savings are a big plus.

Thanks, @Robinhood21 , appreciate the detailed reply.
The more I dig into this the more I'm leaning towards bringing just the waders and leaving the extra pair of hunting boots at home. Both the weight savings and space savings are a big plus.
That was the same reason I went with just the waders the first year. Second year we could get away with a little more weight so I brought both boots. Good luck!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Damn dude you got your kit dialed in for this adventure. I can smell the smoke comin off your wallet from Fairbanks!

The only two cents worth I can add to your wader/sock discussion is this:

1. Be cautious with sealskin socks if they too are airtight/water tight, as your feet need to breath and a material to catch and wick that perspiration. If they sweat and the moisture stays on your feet skin, you'll get colder quicker and also have feet issues.

2. Also be careful not to wear socks that that are too tight. The absolute key to warmth in your feet and hands is to avoid constriction (and moisture). For these reasons I roll with Darn Tough wool hiking socks, plus they have a 100% lifetime exchange policy. I bought 10 pair 6 years ago and swap 'em out at a local retailer when they get worn done.

3. The nice benefit of the neoprene stocking foot waders is being able to boil a couple cups of water and empty into your wading boots on cold spells, increases warmth and blood flow through the neoprene like a warm blanket.

Great job nocking out that packing list of key items.