Well??? What do all the old guys have planned??

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's everyone's plans this year?
I've basically got 6 weeks off starting early october.....going to hunt a couple of weeks with my brother for deer and elk and then a couple weeks with a couple buddies for deer and elk.
Looking forward to the backcountry.

Randy

Headed to Oregon the end of Oct., for a blacktail hunt. Starting to plan tag apps for 2023. Hoping Canada will relax mandatory vaxx for entry, so I can set up a Newfoundland moose hunt, before I'm too pooped to pop.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
Headed to Wyoming to help my hunting partner find a moose after 22 years of applying, That's after the wife and I stop and catch a few big fat cutthroat in Idaho on the way there. Hopefully he fills his tag within a few weeks so I can get back in time for my local Blacktail season before it ends.

elkguide

WKR
Didn't draw anything in Idaho. First year in a long time so will just hunt whitetails in Vermont, New York and a late hunt in Alabama.

Nothing out west this year,hopefully next, the hunt is set up only need to draw tags for Wyoming antelope and mule deer, Getting ready for muzzleloading deer in Oct. Then rifle in Nov. and then rabbits, will do a annual canned bird hunt in Feb. with friends.

Harveyb

FNG
Headed to Casper area to hunt antelope in 3 weeks. Follow that up with an elk hunt in the Bighorns. After that a lot of duck hunting in the Grasslands. May sneak in a few days of deer hunting in D5 before and after the main event in WY.

Mosby

WKR
Didn't draw in Colorado. I did draw for deer in Iowa, so I'll spend a week there this year deer hunting. Working with my 9 month Vizsla. I think he's going to be a heck of a bird dog. We'll be hunting opening week of pheasant in South Dakota this year and will be going up to Iowa when bird season opens in November. Hoping to get at least a month of bird hunting in this year but hopefully more.

We don't really have closed seasons as such for most of our Deer species here (Australia) so we hunt all year round. The majority of hunting for Sambar happens in the winter months. Summer hunting makes keeping meat good a chore, and our hunts are in very remote country so that factors into things as well. We hunt once a month for a few days at a time. Lot of hunters aren't too keen on snakes in the warmer weather so they may notch it down a bit, but many others carry on as per usual. We have seen snakes in the high country sunning themselves 4ft away from snow on a road. My plan is more Sambar with the odd Fallow hunt thrown in. Snakes at your feet flies on your meat in the summer time.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let's see. I've squeezed in a couple of backcountry hunts in already. Four days in the Cabinet Mtns with a buddy whose father-in-law drew a bighorn sheep tag (41 years putting in- he's 72). Saw several younger rams, but nothing worthy of a once in a lifetime hunt. My buddy will be going with him until he has sheep blood on his hands :ROFLMAO:

Four day hunt with another buddy who drew an early season, backcountry mule deer tag. He passed on a dandy, which I will admit was a sigh of relief. Would have entailed a down in a very sketchy chute and then 7.5 miles (5 on trail, 2.5 off) to the truck. He's killed some pretty big deer, so looking for a really big one. I think we're headed out this weekend for another four days to another spot.

Going back to SE Montana for the first time since I retired for an antelope hunt with a buddy.

Have a buddy coming out, who has never killed a deer, the second week of rifle season; we'll be packing in for a week (or less if he connects early).

I've got two elk tags this year (bull and a cow), so plan is to refill the freezer with a cow and hunt for a big bull- we'll see :)

Should be a fun and busy season.

hQpUbOu.jpg

sz8BMDv.jpg

ybPYfvn.jpg

C0mWhj2.jpg

*zap*

WKR
Just whitetail in Kansas and maybe Missouri. Will be backpack/canoe camping alot this fall/winter thou in the same states...mostly local but a few trips.

Just looking at the pics of that scree hill, how easy to roll an ankle on that ????. Don't really get that type of terrain in OZ. Makes me love our bush even more. Although we have stuff pretty knarly but different. New Zealand has the same though.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just looking at the pics of that scree hill, how easy to roll an ankle on that ????. Don't really get that type of terrain in OZ. Makes me love our bush even more. Although we have stuff pretty knarly but different. New Zealand has the same though.

definitely keeps you on your toes!

digger

Lil-Rokslider
California deer season just ended near me.Took a 13 young lady and got her first blacktail buck.
Spent yesterday fishing albacore off Fort Bragg.
Duck season starts in 3 weeks.
Colorado elk/deer combo hunt in mid november
More ducks
Booking a dove hunt in Uruguay for may of 23.
Hog hunting and rifle shooting fill in all the slack time

Just finished a striper fishing trip, going dove hunting tomorrow, got to check the game cameras fri. after doctors visit, Sat. will take the .62 long rifle to the range and re-check the zero should be fine but never hurts to go shooting will not be long until early muzzle loader season for deer here, getting excited.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Planning on 2 - week long Muzzy WT hunts, hopefully some rifle hunts after that.
Maybe predators after deer/before turkey season when nobody is in
the woods.
Speckled Trout, Redfish in between.

peterk123

WKR
Does 56 qualify? I'm heading in for a three day solo hunt in the mountains. Deer or elk with a bow. Or a grouse. I'm not picky.