Well??? What do all the old guys have planned??

Headed to California in October. Oh wait, I live in California. I'm still healing from full knee replacement, so I took points over tryingvto draw a tag when I can go far on foot. So this year, I gonna trybto harvest 2 deer really really close to me vehicle in an over the counter zone. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I need to get out.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's my friday at work and my last day for 6 glorious weeks in the backcountry backpacking for mule deer and elk. Couple hunts planned with my brother and then with my hunting partner. I'll be 65 in October (maybe the damn Medicare phone calls will stop), my brother just turned 60 and Mark is 60. We still get there but it takes a wee bit longer.🙂
I forgot to add that our other hunting partner (PNWGATOR) who will be coming later is a mere youngster at 52 BUT he's a fire captain and paramedic so he may come in handy.
Looking forward to this...........

20210315_184159.jpg20210316_130635.jpg20201016_190112.jpg
Good luck to you all.

Randy

Last edited:
Well, archery deer season starts this Saturday in Maine, then off to Idaho for 3 weeks hunting with mtnwrunner!
looking forward to it buddy. It doesn’t take that much longer!
Mark

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, archery deer season starts this Saturday in Maine, then off to Idaho for 3 weeks hunting with mtnwrunner!
looking forward to it buddy. It doesn’t take that much longer!
Mark
Yes sir. It will be a hoot as usual.
Can't wait.

Randy

Scottf270

WKR
Just got back from Alaska where I killed a good moose. Got kidney surgery October 10th to remove a small growth. Hoping it goes well.

May bow hunt deer a week or two after that. Hunt the first two days of Missouri deer gun season. Then off to Montana for deer.

After Thanksgiving, I have the beagles, the bird dogs, and trapping to keep me busy. May try some waterfowl with some buds.

I am 61 years young........

‘Ike’

FNG
Damn, guess I’m in this group now…Lol! Hit 60 in August! Elk, local Bucks, Sitka Blacktail next month and Upland after…

5 days till early muzzleloader deer season here getting ready, been watching some decent bucks on the cams, even have a drop tine (been a long time goal to drop one of these guys) for the last month they been cruising the area between 3 and 5 p.m. looks like it could be a good hunt.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Antelope trip went well; new personal record for packing an antelope out- 4 miles. General rifle season opens next weekend. I think we're planning on a bivy the night prior to the opener (maybe two). Following week have a buddy from So Cal coming out for a week for a mule deer hunt. After that its nose to the grind stone for elk as I have two elk tags in my pocket :)

Should be a full six weeks coming up and nice to be fully retired to enjoy each and every day!

xh1gtzL.jpg

Mosby

WKR
I am up in South Dakota pheasant hunting this week with my young GSP. I have to have some minor surgery when I get home but I will be coming back up for 10 days in November and will be bringing my 10 month old Vizsla to get him some work on wild birds. I drew a deer tag in Iowa this year and will be hunting the second week of December up there and then hopefully I can squeeze in another week of Pheasant hunting after Christmas...weather and roads permitting.

I have a flight on Saturday at 5:30 AM to Oregon. I'm pretty excited, since this will be my first ever blacktail hunt. Hoping this might become a habit.

Then, middle of Nov., its up to my club/camp in the NY Catskills for a month of stillhunting whitetails. I might take a side trip to either, my property in Cherryfield, Maine, or meet some buddies in the Allagash for 4-5 days.

Since Canada rescinded entry restrictions for the unvaxxed, I've been looking into a Newfoundland moose hunt for 2023 or 2024. But it's not looking good. All of the highly recommended camps that I've contacted, are all back booked now, due to covid, until 2025/6. So that sucks. Its been my life's dream, and 2026 would put me at 70 y/o.

I'm still giving Wyoming a rest, and building points, hoping the numbers and quality where I hunt bounce back in the next few years.

I will also be applying to NM for elk, Oryx and mule deer.

Good luck to all on your adventures this year.

Last edited:

phil dirt

FNG
I have a couple of decent mule deer bucks on the ranch that Iv'e been trying to get a good look at , but it's been so hot and smokey here in Eastern WA. hard to get out of the house until late after noon. Leaving for elk camp next week and I have a cow tag and it's our 50th year anniversary camped in the same spot hopefully we'll have a couple of kids show up and that would be the 4th generation.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
First backcountry hunt is out if the way. My brother (60) and I (the dreaded 65 next Wednesday) just got back from 9 days backpacking the high country of Idaho. As usual, it was a hoot and the weather was GREAT, if you like suntanning. Driest I've ever seen during hunting season and the moon did not help
It was a very weird year. I basically went along to help Jeff out as I am going to concentrate on the next couple of weeks and it looks like the weather gods are finally giving us hunters a bone.
We saw about 10 or so bucks but nothing he wanted to shoot. 🧐
Couple nice 140, 150 type 4 pointers in the mix but nothing held his eye. Made the comment "in my younger years, I would have shot em."
Couple of photos.

Randy20221013_181804.jpg20221013_181914.jpg20221012_114438.jpg20221013_181010.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice- looks like a good trip despite no harvest :)

nothing to dread about 65 (I'll turn 65 in December)- you get Medicare! :D

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Antelope trip went well; new personal record for packing an antelope out- 4 miles. General rifle season opens next weekend. I think we're planning on a bivy the night prior to the opener (maybe two). Following week have a buddy from So Cal coming out for a week for a mule deer hunt. After that its nose to the grind stone for elk as I have two elk tags in my pocket :)

Should be a full six weeks coming up and nice to be fully retired to enjoy each and every day!

xh1gtzL.jpg
Nice Buck bro. I could only dream of retirement lol