Welp I’m Booked for 2019

Gobbler36

WKR
Flying with Artic Air out of Kotzebue. Booked through Outddor International with Russ Meyer
I will try and keep you guys aware of how is experience is going along the way with them. Hoping for a great adventure and memorable hunt!

Beendare

WKR
Many of those transporters stock waxed fish boxes, best to confirm of course. I would bring some food grade plastic bags and plenty of tape to wrap them up.

Alaska air takes those as an extra bag, as long as its not leaking blood all over.....

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
Many of those transporters stock waxed fish boxes, best to confirm of course. I would bring some food grade plastic bags and plenty of tape to wrap them up.

Alaska air takes those as an extra bag, as long as its not leaking blood all over.....
Is there a way to get a good freeze on the meat in Kotzebue?
Is flying up with a cooler a good idea

chucko

FNG
meat care in the field is of utmost importance if you do this step correct you will not have any problems getting your meat home be diligent leave everything on bone including backstrap with loins plus the neck bone these out the morning of field departure

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went there once in September and spent $20 on the last two bags of ice I could find in town. Just threw them on top of the fish boxes. Also the cooler everyone talks about at the airport was broken. Still with all that had no issues getting the meat back to Utah in a fish box and it still being nice and cool.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Alaska Airlines 3rd, 4th and 5th extra baggage (as in boxes of meat) will cost you $100 per box. BUT, the nice little kicker is you can load each box up to 100 pounds and it still flies for $100. The price of $1 per pound is about what I pay to fly meat south via Alaska Air Cargo. If you can get your meat very cold or nearly frozen it should stay in fine shape for 24 hours or maybe more. Be SURE to double (plastic) bag it inside the shipping box or cooler so no leaks. You won't need ice or dry ice unless the meat is not frozen and likely to warm past 40 degrees F.

I don't think a cooler is necessary for meat which is frozen or nearly so. Alaska Air almost always has boxes available, but this is something you absolutely must check out in advance. Line up enough boxes (the 100 pound size), heavy plastic bags and ties ahead of time so you aren't running around trying to locate them when you're short on time.

Don't forget to have a plan for cooling or freezing the meat as soon as you get home. Not good to arrive home with 200 pounds or more of meat in big boxes and have no good place to keep it.

Mudslinger

Lil-Rokslider
I went there once in September and spent $20 on the last two bags of ice I could find in town. Just threw them on top of the fish boxes. Also the cooler everyone talks about at the airport was broken. Still with all that had no issues getting the meat back to Utah in a fish box and it still being nice and cool.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Arctic Air has a big freezer at their place also that we put the meat in for a good freeze

Deadmeat

WKR
Was the a waiting period to get booked for this hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk