WEN Generator

hobbes

WKR
I've been considering a WEN inverter generator and thought I saw a thread on here recently about the 2000-watt but can't find it if I did. Does anyone have any experience with these? The Honda's price tag is not an option.

I had a wen and the inverter went out after 18 hours and there was no help with getting it warrantied.
I went to the Yamaha ef2000 after that and haven’t looked back.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I had a wen and the inverter went out after 18 hours and there was no help with getting it warrantied.
I went to the Yamaha ef2000 after that and haven’t looked back.
Thanks for the info. The Yamaha looks like a good one, but I just don't need one bad enough to spend that much. I also don't want to piss away $430 on junk if the WEN is junk. If I can't get one reasonably reliable at a less expensive price point, I probably don't need one. Thanks again.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at the WEN generators, but ended up going with a Champion in the same price range. I have only done the 5 hour break in period and then maybe 20 hours of use with our camper so far this spring (running the furnace, TV, lights, etc.) and it has performed very well and is pretty darn quiet. Longevity of the unit is an unknown, but I do not foresee any issues with proper maintenance. My buddy has the Honda and I just couldn't spend that much either.

boom

WKR
my old supervisor bought the Yamaha from Costco. right around $400. that thing rocks. I would argue it is quieter than my Honda EU2200. it purrs.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
my old supervisor bought the Yamaha from Costco. right around $400. that thing rocks. I would argue it is quieter than my Honda EU2200. it purrs.
I see where Costco sells an A-iPower powered by Yamaha for $499. Is that the one you are referring to?

Elk97

WKR
That A-I looks like a great deal and super quiet for 1800 w continuous. You can't go wrong buying form Costco, they stand behind their stuff.

wapitibob

WKR
I sold my Honda eu2000 with my camper and bought (2) Ai-power 2000 watt units from walmart for $330 ea. I used them all september last year without a hitch, sort of.

The Ai and others use a cheap 79cc motor vs the Honda 119cc and as such their output numbers are suspect. My 2,000 watt max, 1600 watt cont Ai wouldn't start a 1300 watt microwave. They're a tad louder than the Honda but not enough to really mention. Friends have the Costco version and have not had problems. I finally tossed in the towel and bought a new Honda 2200. It runs the microwave easily and I can add a $260 Easy Start and that 2200 will fire off my roof air.

If I was going back to cheap, I'd get the bigger Ai 2300 from Sams Club for $399; 3 year guarantee.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I sold my Honda eu2000 with my camper and bought (2) Ai-power 2000 watt units from walmart for $330 ea. I used them all september last year without a hitch, sort of.

The Ai and others use a cheap 79cc motor vs the Honda 119cc and as such their output numbers are suspect. My 2,000 watt max, 1600 watt cont Ai wouldn't start a 1300 watt microwave. They're a tad louder than the Honda but not enough to really mention. Friends have the Costco version and have not had problems. I finally tossed in the towel and bought a new Honda 2200. It runs the microwave easily and I can add a $260 Easy Start and that 2200 will fire off my roof air.

If I was going back to cheap, I'd get the bigger Ai 2300 from Sams Club for $399; 3 year guarantee.
I don't think I can buy from Sam's Club without a membership, but that is a pretty good deal.

I’ve had a small champion generator for the past 15ish years and it’s been very reliable. Starts on the second or third pull even after sitting for 6 months. It’s not a suitcase style and I wouldn’t say it’s real quiet, but it was inexpensive and is reliable.

Depending on your use you may want to look at them

boom

WKR
I see where Costco sells an A-iPower powered by Yamaha for $499. Is that the one you are referring to?
yea. that's the one!! he said it has one thing he doesn't like. the placement of the fuel cap. he has giant ham-hands and he said when he curls his fingers around the handle the cap hits his hand.

I also do not think it will run as long on a single tank as my EU2200. I ran my refrigerator and my neighbors freezer for 9 hours on a single tanks. my honda is nice.

but yea, that Yamaha is quieter. every tamale cart in my city uses that Yamaha. it is really quiet.

I picked up a Firman inverter from Costco. Great price and Costco’s no questions asked return policy made it a no brainer if it sucked or broke down, Its worked well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

grfox92

WKR
I have a champion inverter generator. A big one though approximately 6250 watts I believe.

It's been extremely reliable. Starts on the first pull every time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have the Firman 2100 or 2200 whatever it is. Very similar to the WEN. It worked great other than at altitude (7000+) it wouldn't run. I called to get them to send me a high altitude jet and they just sent me an entire carb for it.
The only issue I have is the AC and USB port power is too noisy and will lock up my I-phone screen. Everything else works fine.

Bought mine at Wilco on sale for $400-ish. The Honda was about twice the price. But its probably cell phone and laptop power safe. You get what you pay for.

Titan

WKR
I have a champion 2000w that has been solid for a couple years. Just slightly underpowered for what I need.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from Costco with their warranty on products. The generator breaking while needing it would suck, but at least you know they will stand behind it even if the manufacturer won't.

I just purchased (March 10) the Firman WO1682 2000w inverter/generator from Costco for $350 on sale, should have purchased two at that price. So far (about 10 hrs use) it's worked well for me. Now I'm in the market for a larger generator to power the pump in my well until we get the permanent power installed next summer.

Anybody got any experience with the Predator line of generators from Harbor Freight? They have a bunch of them at very reasonable prices and the majority of reviews are very favorable. I only know a couple of guys that own one, but they both love them.

Geewhiz

WKR
I bought a dewalt 2200 inverter last summer and used it a handful of times to run the camper. Super quiet and sips fuel. Not sure how many hours but maybe around 30-40? Happy with it so far. I believe i gave around $650.