Wendler’s 5/3/1 Results

Teaman1

WKR
I’ve seen 5/3/1 mentioned in the past by a few other hunters that were fans of it.
I’d like to hear anyone’s personal results with this program, as I’m looking to start using it.
Please include current weights lifted, weights lifted when you started the program, how long you’ve been doing the program, and if you’ve hit any plateaus.
Hoping to get some real responses/results from real people

Pasayten

FNG
I’ve seen 5/3/1 mentioned in the past by a few other hunters that were fans of it.
I’d like to hear anyone’s personal results with this program, as I’m looking to start using it.
Please include current weights lifted, weights lifted when you started the program, how long you’ve been doing the program, and if you’ve hit any plateaus.
Hoping to get some real responses/results from real people
Hello, a newbie here so this is my first post other than my intro on the FNG thread but I'm super stoked its about 5/3/1. I've been doing Wendler's BBB 531 for a couple years off and on (due to covid) but have been hitting it pretty hard since my gym opened back up in December. I basically had to start over in December after not having an open gym for 6 months so my data is kinda cut up. I'm only 5'5" and 140 lbs so my personal weights being lifted will likely be much different than yours would be if you were at the same stage in the program. That being said, and knowing how the program works, all my lifts are based on the 90% of my O.R.M. which are listed next by Lift/Start weight/Current weight. Squat/200/270, Bench/175/235, Deadlift/200/290, O.H. Press/110/145. There are tons of free calcs online to help figure out your ORM online and thats where you need to start. I also have the 531 app on my phone so it does all the math for you and kinda keeps you on track and logs your workout for you. I haven't plateaued yet and don't for see that anytime soon. Really I feel like its just getting good. This works for me because of my work schedule, so I can be in and out of the gym in 45 min to an hr doing one main/heavy lift and 2-4 accessories. If my main lift is bench then my accessories are shoulder and back work, and vise versa for O.H. Press day, 3-5 sets of 10-15, lighter weight for hypertrophy. For legs if its main lift squat day then accessorize w/ DL or RDL 3-5 10-15 @ 50% of ORM. Vise versa for main DL day. I always through leg curls in. I'm about to through in a 20-30 min morning weighted ruck before work for some cardio. Drew a bull tag in new mexico at high elevation this fall so i need to work on that. Sorry for such a long reply or for telling you a bunch of crap you already know, just stoked to finally get to contribute to the site. Feel free to ask more questions if you want, I'll try to tone it down a bit.

My biggest piece of advice is to track total volume separately from the main 5/3/1 program. Plateaus are usually when you've plateaued on total volume for workouts...

0ec0e9750ae47f14462b4489dc9eb137.jpg

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I did Starting Strength first, then I moved to Wendlers 5/3/1. I felt I had better progress with Starting Strength. I have been doing it for 6 months but I was coming off a back tweak when I started. Once I started running distance my lifts fell off a cliff.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been doing Wendler 5/3/1 for a couple of years now. I don't strength train 3-4 times a week though as he suggests, most of my other free days I'm hitting the trails. What I've settled on is twice a week with squats/bench together and deadlifts/overhead press on the other day. I do dips, pull-ups and core on squat/bench day and lunges, chinups and core on deadlift/press day between sets. I'm in the gym for right around 30 minutes is all (maybe a little longer, but not much).

All of my lifts are up roughly 30-35% from first starting. I've had several breaks (some short, some longer) and plateaus to work through on all lifts (except deadlifts which are still climbing- although I didn't do deadlifts before starting Wendler). I've found the best way for me to work through plateaus is simply to reset the 1RM back three steps.

On week four (recovery week) I've upped the weight %'s vs what he shows a little- I do 3 sets of 5 at 70%. Also on weeks 2 and 3, I add a set of 10 at 70% at the very end- just to get a little more volume. Week one I do as prescribed 5/5/5+ @ 65/75/85% of 1RM.

Previously I tried 5x5- it's a good program, but 5/3/1 works much better for me.

Obviously everyone is in a little different situation and adapts differently, but for me, 5/3/1 has been excellent.

My biggest piece of advice is to track total volume separately from the main 5/3/1 program. Plateaus are usually when you've plateaued on total volume for workouts...

0ec0e9750ae47f14462b4489dc9eb137.jpg
Interesting data. Other than you being a beast... It appears that your bodyweight, bench, and military press remained pretty consistent. But your deadlift went from sub 400 to over 600. Anything in particular that you attribute that advancement to?

The data above, except bodyweight, is calculated 1 rep max, not actual. I'd say they're pretty accurate except deadlift.

Military press is just damn hard. I hate it. Gains in that are just hard for me. My goal is 225. I changed around my bench routine and am finally making gains there I think (just more dumbbell bench for volume). Legs I do ass to grass and weighted lunges for volume.

Deadlift I think my honest max is around 475. I cheat a little by taking a breather and switching grip, just not stepping out of the box. Can't really cheat this way in other lifts so that's the discrepancy. This way I'm able to rep 315 for 30+ reps. 1RM calculators fall apart after about 15 reps. I also train back more than anything, with a whole day for pullups/rows/etc.

The answer to all gains is simply volume though. I was flat for years doing 5/3/1 (lost that data so not shown), but just because I had a lazy post-AMRAP routine that didn't track total volume.

The dips are due to real world circumstances where my training fell off or I went hard keto initially. But tracking this way helps me rebound from slumps as you can see strength coming back quickly.

Edit - I should add that due to the scale things look more flat than they are. Also, I had been lifting for a couple years on 5/3/1 before this data, so "beginner" gains are not shown. Going from 185lbs to 225lbs on OHP is pretty hard while being a busy father approaching 40...

Last edited:
The data above, except bodyweight, is calculated 1 rep max, not actual. I'd say they're pretty accurate except deadlift.

Military press is just damn hard. I hate it. Gains in that are just hard for me. My goal is 225. I changed around my bench routine and am finally making gains there I think (just more dumbbell bench for volume). Legs I do ass to grass and weighted lunges for volume.

Deadlift I think my honest max is around 475. I cheat a little by taking a breather and switching grip, just not stepping out of the box. Can't really cheat this way in other lifts so that's the discrepancy. This way I'm able to rep 315 for 30+ reps. 1RM calculators fall apart after about 15 reps. I also train back more than anything, with a whole day for pullups/rows/etc.

The answer to all gains is simply volume though. I was flat for years doing 5/3/1 (lost that data so not shown), but just because I had a lazy post-AMRAP routine that didn't track total volume.

The dips are due to real world circumstances where my training fell off or I went hard keto initially. But tracking this way helps me rebound from slumps as you can see strength coming back quickly.

Edit - I should add that due to the scale things look more flat than they are. Also, I had been lifting for a couple years on 5/3/1 before this data, so "beginner" gains are not shown. Going from 185lbs to 225lbs on OHP is pretty hard while being a busy father approaching 40...
Such a great reply- perfect explanation of anticipated newbie gains, plateaus, and the overall volume is king. I’ve had great results (personally and with athletes) following StrogLifts 5x5. Solid programs.