Weneha elk

Droppem

FNG
Hello I’m new to this forum.i drew the weneha #2 elk tag this by luck!im just trying to get as much info as I can on the unit.im just looking for a little direction on trail heads,any starting points would help out a lot.thanks rick

Unreal_TK

FNG
Pretty much anything north of Elgin can produce. Take some scouting trips to Troy and get familiar with roads

I live up there, actually in the Walla Walla but remember when it was all one unit. In any event elk flats is called elk flats for a reason. East of there bear creek and alder creek get a lot of looks not too many boots. Dropping into the wilderness is fun and elk are spread throughout the unit.

slick

WKR
Please promise to report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Droppem

Droppem

FNG
Pretty much anything north of Elgin can produce. Take some scouting trips to Troy and get familiar with roads
Thank you!its just going to be me and my son.ive been over there once so far just to get a little look at some of it.were ready to put in the miles and the work

OP
Droppem

Droppem

FNG
I live up there, actually in the Walla Walla but remember when it was all one unit. In any event elk flats is called elk flats for a reason. East of there bear creek and alder creek get a lot of looks not too many boots. Dropping into the wilderness is fun and elk are spread throughout the unit.
Thanks for the info.ive hunted elk for a lot of years but never hunted this unit.its just going to be me and my son so we’re ready to put in the miles and the work.im really wanting to get in the wilderness as far as we possibly can

it's a very special place, do the tag justice by spending as much time as possible in there learning the lay of the land.... it's worth it. the very best way to kill a big bull in weneha is go find your own program, the general advice you will get on a forum will only get you so far (and probably not on that big bull you are dreaming of) good old fashion boots on the ground is the only way to achieve your goal (unless someone gives you a hot tip in private) learning the country is part of the experience, and getting some good maps is a good starting point.

my buddy drew the archery tag a couple years ago, and he worked hard finding his own program. we avoided the general advice you normally hear regarding weneha, and we were in big bulls non stop and had them to ourselves. it's a unit with huge potential, and it's just an awesome place to run around.... there are lots of angles on hunting areas and strategy, and like anything related to hunting, if you want a good experience, do the work yourself and find your own little niche, that's how you will find that big bull you're after.

probably not the info you were looking for, but i think it's very realistic advice..... there are big bulls, and it will be lucky to kill a big one in well known, easy, or obvious spots. you have to do your own work if you want to find a really good bull over there.

on the other end, there are lots of very respectable size bulls anywhere else running around. we saw more 280-300" 6 points than little rag bulls, there are lots of them.... it will take work or luck to find a good mature bull (imo 320"+) and with a tag like that, i wouldn't bank on luck.

glassing canyons first and last light, and dropping into them during the day worked well for us, but that was leading up to archery season and during. it's a special place, i fell in love with it.... i spend some time over there now, and plan on spending a lot more in the future.

i will probably never get the chance to hunt it for elk, but i sure would like to. it's the ONLY place in oregon that would get me off the coast in September. still lots of elk, and some dandy bulls there, don't get discouraged when people act like the wolves ate them all. the wolves are bad news, but it's still an amazing elk unit, but it's gonna be tough, and you have to familiarize yourself with that country, and figure out a few areas you want to focus on.

get over there every chance you get. we were even going on super short scouting trips, leaving one evening, getting up on the mountain after midnight, getting up in the dark, glass and scout all day and drive home 7.5hrs that night.... that's what we had to work with, and it was very much worth it. no substitute for work in the elk woods.

hope to hear about your experiences, both scouting and hunting.

OP
Droppem

Droppem

FNG
it's a very special place, do the tag justice by spending as much time as possible in there learning the lay of the land.... it's worth it. the very best way to kill a big bull in weneha is go find your own program, the general advice you will get on a forum will only get you so far (and probably not on that big bull you are dreaming of) good old fashion boots on the ground is the only way to achieve your goal (unless someone gives you a hot tip in private) learning the country is part of the experience, and getting some good maps is a good starting point.

my buddy drew the archery tag a couple years ago, and he worked hard finding his own program. we avoided the general advice you normally hear regarding weneha, and we were in big bulls non stop and had them to ourselves. it's a unit with huge potential, and it's just an awesome place to run around.... there are lots of angles on hunting areas and strategy, and like anything related to hunting, if you want a good experience, do the work yourself and find your own little niche, that's how you will find that big bull you're after.

probably not the info you were looking for, but i think it's very realistic advice..... there are big bulls, and it will be lucky to kill a big one in well known, easy, or obvious spots. you have to do your own work if you want to find a really good bull over there.

on the other end, there are lots of very respectable size bulls anywhere else running around. we saw more 280-300" 6 points than little rag bulls, there are lots of them.... it will take work or luck to find a good mature bull (imo 320"+) and with a tag like that, i wouldn't bank on luck.

glassing canyons first and last light, and dropping into them during the day worked well for us, but that was leading up to archery season and during. it's a special place, i fell in love with it.... i spend some time over there now, and plan on spending a lot more in the future.

i will probably never get the chance to hunt it for elk, but i sure would like to. it's the ONLY place in oregon that would get me off the coast in September. still lots of elk, and some dandy bulls there, don't get discouraged when people act like the wolves ate them all. the wolves are bad news, but it's still an amazing elk unit, but it's gonna be tough, and you have to familiarize yourself with that country, and figure out a few areas you want to focus on.

get over there every chance you get. we were even going on super short scouting trips, leaving one evening, getting up on the mountain after midnight, getting up in the dark, glass and scout all day and drive home 7.5hrs that night.... that's what we had to work with, and it was very much worth it. no substitute for work in the elk woods.

hope to hear about your experiences, both scouting and hunting.
I appreciate your input and advice.im heading over this weekend to glass and check out the area some more.i have the whole season to hunt so I’m definitely going to put in the work and miles on my boots,hours behind the spotter and whatever it takes to glass up that bull of a lifetime.

Rosie has it figured out. Without doing some serious figuring I’ll say I put 20 years into the unit, some of those from before we had to choose which unit. You have a great tag. There are big bulls throughout the unit. Snow can be a huge factor in there during second season. I get back from Alaska about sept 15 perhaps we can share scouting reports. This bull came out of the unit about as far south as you can get and still be on forest service ground.

Attachments

• B1B9D374-5C93-473C-91F5-FD34897DC0D9.jpeg
    B1B9D374-5C93-473C-91F5-FD34897DC0D9.jpeg
    570.8 KB · Views: 150
OP
Droppem

Droppem

FNG
Wow
Rosie has it figured out. Without doing some serious figuring I’ll say I put 20 years into the unit, some of those from before we had to choose which unit. You have a great tag. There are big bulls throughout the unit. Snow can be a huge factor in there during second season. I get back from Alaska about sept 15 perhaps we can share scouting reports. This bull came out of the unit about as far south as you can get and still be on forest service ground.
wow!thats a toad!that sounds good,I will keep in touch!thanks for the pict

DEJaca

FNG
Wow, what a bull. A friend I work with should draw the Wenaha bow tag next year. I imagine that he will spend evey weekend there scouting and making a plan. He has a friend who lives in the area who killed a nice 367" bull there 5 years ago. He lost his son in a car accident and killed it with his son's bow.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Heres a Wenaha thread on another forum that should get your heart rate up!
I was literally going to link that same thread haha Towards the bottom has some pictures of a few beautys. The one without the typical short Oregon 3rds is a beast. Well, for Oregon at least.

OP
Droppem

Droppem

FNG
Here’s my weneha bull this year,not the one I should of had but this 3 days left I’m happy with it.this was a tough hunt but had a lot of fun and enjoyed every minute of it with my son.

Attachments

• 9300161F-BCCD-45DF-8FAA-F5FD47076D43.jpeg
    9300161F-BCCD-45DF-8FAA-F5FD47076D43.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 995968D4-6F86-4658-BE8D-F7D195DCDDFF.jpeg
    995968D4-6F86-4658-BE8D-F7D195DCDDFF.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 94

slick

WKR
Little late to seeing this, but thanks for checking back in. Still a heck of a bull. It sounds like you hunted the whole season?

You have any insight or lessons learned to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk