Went under the knife today

Ozz08

WKR
Home from Stanford hospital and sore as hell! Some of you may recall on a couple different threads over the last year me mentioning battling a tear in my L5 disc. For a year and a half I had tons of different treatment for this injury. 2 cortisone epidurals, 12 weeks of physical therapy, 10 weeks of acupuncture, and 6 weeks with a chiropractor. I got no relief from any of it! In fact the pain in my lower back, left leg, groin and hip got worse. In December after another fail cortisone injection my doctor decided we needed to start looking for another injury. My disc tear was very small and with all of the treatment and shots I should have been pain free at the very least if not healed. So he decided to start looking for a hip injury as a hip injury can cause very similar pain to sciatic nerve pain. I got an MRI of my hip and the doc found a tumor on on of the bones of the hip(sitz bone). It's a very rare benign tumor called osteoid osteoma. This tumor has been the cause of all of my pain for the last year. These tumors are capable of sending pain throughout a large area and the location of mine has the sciatic nerve passing right in front of it causing me even more pain. Well today the great doctors at Stanford hospital burned the shit out of that tumor with a procedure called radio frequency ablation. They believe they got it all and I should be good to go. They basically drilled a hole through my ass cheek and muscle to get to the tumor and insert the wires to cook it. Pretty simple procedure but damn my butt hurts! It looks like I got a J-lo implant in one cheek it's so swollen. The world class facilities and doctors we have here makes it almost worth it to live in or near the crazy Bay Area of California.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Wishing for a full and speedy recovery for you brother.

But as far as living anywhere close to Feinstein, I will take my chances in other parts of what's left of this great country.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad you finally got a diagnosis so you can get on with the business of healing! Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Have they said how long before you are back to normal??

Shrek

WKR
Sounds like a real PIA to me :D . All joking aside , I really empathize with you. I've had two surgeries at L5-S1 myself to relieve pressure on the nerves so I know how that kind of pain sucks the life out of you. Hope you get complete relief.

OP
O

Ozz08

WKR
Thanks all.

Becca, I should be good to go by the end of the weekend. It's really just muscle soreness (although extreme) and swelling from drilling through all the muscle. There isn't really any recovery time for it.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Glad they were able to find the source of your pain and remove it. It's good you had it done now so you'll be back in the game for season. All the best for a speedy recovery!

Glad to hear they found the cause of your pain and hope you are back to full speed! I will admit to an actual LOL when I read the J-Lo reference.

Schleppy

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck on the recovery. Hopefully once the ass-pain subsides you will be pain free. Back problems suck and you should be happy it turned out to be something "curable".

OP
O

Ozz08

WKR
Good luck on the recovery. Hopefully once the ass-pain subsides you will be pain free. Back problems suck and you should be happy it turned out to be something "curable".

You're telling me buddy! My ortho and I were both happy as heck it turned out to be the tumor and not the disc that was causing my problems for that very reason.....it was curable.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You're telling me buddy! My ortho and I were both happy as heck it turned out to be the tumor and not the disc that was causing my problems for that very reason.....it was curable.

X2 on that man! Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!

OP
O

Ozz08

WKR
Thanks for the well wishes guys. Stiffness is starting to fade but still have a ton of pain and my left ass cheek and hip are still the size of Kim kardashian's! Still pretty swollen. Went back to work on Monday and I am really regretting it everyday!