West Central Colorado Black Bear

workethic

FNG
Hey all, A buddy and I are going to be bear hunting in Colorado this fall as the primary animal, not the add on tag. We will more than likely draw the tag. I don't want to say the unit as I think it deprives others of the opportunity to do the research and find good units and there is a greater feeling of accomplishment at the end of the hunt. I'm sure some powers of deduction will help others narrow down the unit though :p, but I wont outright say it here.

Elevations are from 6-10k and we will be there opener which is sept 2nd. I have never hunted this far south and really havent been in this area before in recent memory. I have areas with north facing slopes, drainages, water sources, recent burns and etc... somewhat located and will keep looking. I have read as much as I can on hunting fall bears in variable elevations out west, but there isnt much. I know to look for the food, but as I am not familiar with this countryside that is part of the challenge. I am a minnesota guy and can tell you where to find berries here even if I havent been to the area, but I am not too familiar with colorado.

Are there specific things I should look for on maps? Specific elevations for this time of year? Would I find them in the sage brush areas around the 2nd of sept? Really any advice on fall bears would be great. Thank you all for the help.

OP
W

workethic

FNG
I should also mention that we intend to camp out provided the weather isn’t too terrible. We don’t need added problems while we are learning the ropes.

elkduds

WKR
Expect mild weather (70ish days, 40ish nights around 6-7K) unless the monsoon is still active, then rain and hail, snow possible above about 9-10K. Bears are eating all they can in Sept, There may still be berries and there will be acorns in the oakbrush. Bears will be feeding all day. Good luck.

OP
W

workethic

FNG
Expect mild weather (70ish days, 40ish nights around 6-7K) unless the monsoon is still active, then rain and hail, snow possible above about 9-10K. Bears are eating all they can in Sept, There may still be berries and there will be acorns in the oakbrush. Bears will be feeding all day. Good luck.
About what elevation can I start seeing and stop seeing oak brush? Thank you for the help

elkduds

WKR
6-9K. The real name is Gambel Oak. The only thing harder than spotting game (even elk) in oakbrush is traveling through it!

OP
W

workethic

FNG
6-9K. The real name is Gambel Oak. The only thing harder than spotting game (even elk) in oakbrush is traveling through it!
Haha thank you for the help I’ll be sure to try to embrace the love hate relationship with it!