West Elk - Gunnison Area - Elk Heard ok?

whaack

WKR
So I've posted a bit that I have been planning a DIY elk archery hunt in WEW in unit 53 for over a year. I have read a few things that have been talking about how bad the winter was this past winter and that the deer population is in bad shape.

Two questions, does this go for the elk heard too, and would the west elk wilderness be included in the area affected by the bad winter?

I have researched other OTC area's in the state and am wondering if I should shift gears to another area based on some reports I've read.

Thanks.

oldgoat

WKR
Have a plan b, but I don't think the elk herd got hit that hard, most everything I heard, they were mainly concerned for the deer herd, but not even bad enough to feed them. They did bait the deer to get them off the highway, but didn't feed them.

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR
Have a plan b, but I don't think the elk herd got hit that hard, most everything I heard, they were mainly concerned for the deer herd, but not even bad enough to feed them. They did bait the deer to get them off the highway, but didn't feed them.

Thanks. We have a plan b and c, just wasn't sure if we should move to either of them yet.

ckleeves

WKR
I wouldn't worry about it one bit. The elk made it through the winter pretty well in the Gunnison basin, and a good portion of the elk in 53 don't winter in the GB anyway IMO.