W

Gapmaster

WKR
Any one have any info on the crowds in and around the Coal Creek Road 709 access areas? I see some older comments from several years ago about it being super crowded. Time frame I'm interested in would be first two full weeks of Sept. I get that it'll have the usual horse trailers, etc.... I would be concerned if I pulled into an area and there wasn't at least a few rigs. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks in adavance.

Kebler Pass is the Premier fall color (aspens) spot in the entire state.

Usually the 3rd week of September is the peak, but there will be lots of tourists/hikers regardless. Even more so if the colors peak early.

I would be lying if I claimed to have any clue as to how that pertains to the hunting pressure though.

Phaseolus

WKR
Coal Creek can very busy all seasons. There will be spots you can have to yourself if you are willing.

Kebler Pass is close to Coal Creek road but traffic on it has little to do with what is happening on Coal Creek.

It seems to me that a lot of hikers and tourist traffic in an area could be leveraged for a positive. Animals get used to benign humans in the area and lots of scent and noise maybe, and those people will not be hiking into certain areas off the various paths or easy to hick small climbs and such so it could make animal hiding spots somewhat predictable. Any experienced people have thoughts on that?

Phaseolus

WKR
I’ve never run into groups of tourists out wandering in the West Elk Wilderness.

Pretty sure you are talking about coal creek out of Redstone,

We run cattle in the coal basin area until first week of October. I have several drop camps in the area. There is a lot of day hunters that hike in and out. Some camp a few miles or so in. First 2 weeks are typically pretty warm, gotta get to the higher elevations.

There is also a lot of recreational traffic, will most likely be even more with the new bike trails they are putting in at the top of coal basin road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Gapmaster

Gapmaster

WKR
Pretty sure you are talking about coal creek out of Redstone,

We run cattle in the coal basin area until first week of October. I have several drop camps in the area. There is a lot of day hunters that hike in and out. Some camp a few miles or so in. First 2 weeks are typically pretty warm, gotta get to the higher elevations.

There is also a lot of recreational traffic, will most likely be even more with the new bike trails they are putting in at the top of coal basin road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve seen some of the drop camps on Google Earth. My area of interest isn’t the “colorful” aspen!! Thanks for the input!

Phaseolus

WKR
Nope, FR 709 is not out of Redstone, OP is talking about The Coal Creek road which leads to Throughline Trailhead

jwl76

FNG
We were at trailhead described by Phaseolus last year for the archery opener. Drove in the evening before so we could "get a parking spot", hike in and get camp set-up for the week. :) We arrived around 5pm and took the very last spot a vehicle could park in closest parking turnout area. Must have easily been 30+ vehicles and many truck with horse trailers crammed in there, we decided that others had a similar idea to us about coming before the season started. :) 8 days later when we left, parking looked the same plus now every possible place to park along the side of the road had a vehicle parked. Good luck!