West Texas Aoudad Hunt

drlfc

FNG
Booked a hunt in September for Aoudad. My first time. Can I get some opinions on optics, clothing, packs, etc. i need to assemble my gear now before too long. Hopefully the virus is contained by then.

Is this a DIY or guided? I ask because you don’t want to duplicate something the guide already has if so.

Optics - best glass you can afford. 10-42 binos at minimum. Would be nice to have a spotter 65mm+. Scope - something w/ 18-20 + magnification. Shots can be 300-400 minimum and extend out from there. You might and can shoot one closer given the opportunity, but you need to be comfortable at 400yds minimum (longer if better).

Clothing - something that breathes well (Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, insert any performance hunting brand.....it doesn’t really matter. if you want camo colors fine, but any neutral browns or grays are sufficient. No cotton. These brands are all well built and breathe well. September can be really really hot or cold and rainy. Just depends, expect anything. But typically it can be warm/hot. Long sleeves would be preferred for UV protection but short sleeves and sunscreen is equally good. It’s the desert so mornings and evenings can be quite cool u til the sun comes up and bakes you. At minimum a baseball cap. A full brimmed hat could be beneficial also for sum protection.

Everything is sharp, pointing or rough. Catscus, cat-claw bushes, jagged rough lava-like rocks......and rattlesnakes. I would wear a tough/durable lightweight pair of gloves to climb up and down rocks. Snake gaiters are wise but not absolutely necessary (I wore them).

Backpack (assuming you’ll have a base camp to return to each day) shouldn’t be more than a day pack. Carry lots of water. You won’t find any out there unless there is a natural spring (few and far between) or your hunting close to a river.

If you have more specific questions feel free to ask or PM me.

Lots of water and electrolytes(I’d take a small filter like a sawyer or the MSR trail shot , it’s going to be hot.

cheapest route snake/cactus gaiters is
foreeverlast

Basics- pack, 12x bino and tripod, thin neck gaiter( the dust will wear you out on a UTV), hat, long sleeve thin shirts and a light pull over or jacket. Desert evenings get chilly

they are an absolute blast to hunt,

OP
drlfc

drlfc

FNG
Had to cancel due to COVID travel restrictions. I’m going to try again next year. Damn this virus!

TexasTB

FNG
Good luck with your hunt next year. I just got back from Sierra Blanca, TX on my guided Aoudad Hunt. Had a blast and took a nice Ram - 32" with 14.5" bases. Take good boots and drink lots of fluid. Even though it didn't get above 80 degrees, I felt parched all the time due to the sun and low humidity. Also, my binos on a tripod were a gamechanger. Allowed me to stay on glass for much longer.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have taken my 338 Sherman Shortmag instead of my 7mm-08 AI. I shot my RAM at an extreme angle 4 times at 350 yards, 2x in the chest and that tough critter still kept going. Was using Hornady 162 ELDx and they performed well, found two in off side shoulder and they had expanded well.
1603046598570.png

wyosteve

WKR
Thanks for the info guys. I have a February hunt scheduled in West Texas so this all helps

DPReef

FNG
Any of these bookings a DIY / Semi guided? Looking for something $2k a piece for 3-4 people.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have taken my 338 Sherman Shortmag instead of my 7mm-08 AI. I shot my RAM at an extreme angle 4 times at 350 yards, 2x in the chest and that tough critter still kept going. Was using Hornady 162 ELDx and they performed well, found two in off side shoulder and they had expanded well.
I'm a big fan of 7mm-08. Kills Elk no problem. I'm taking my 6.5CM to West Texas. Hopefully the Accubonds will do the job. How far did the Ram go with 4 bullet holes ?

TexasTB

FNG
Driving around was ok. Not too bad.

Aoudad went about 75 yards after shot first time. To the time he expired.

DPReef

FNG
Just came back 2 weeks ago, no luck. i need to find a ranch with a bigger property and more canyons! Any Fall 2020 suggestions?

DPReef

FNG
Don't want to share specifics but I was near the Loma Alta Store north of Del Rio. Had less than 1000 acres to hunt but half of it had the mountain terrain.

Cold and windy would be my guess. Find the nearest city with a weather station to where you will be an deduct 3-5 degrees for remote desert mountain temps. Should be fairly close.