West Texas Aoudad Rams

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Great video and hunt. I saw the video a couple months ago somewhere. Maybe just stumbled upon it on YT or something. Congrats on the rams. Both were NICE.

hunthard

FNG
Are most aoudads hunted on private or would a DIY hunt be a possibility? Never researched it much myself but always admired the aoudads.

OP
T
Are most aoudads hunted on private or would a DIY hunt be a possibility? Never researched it much myself but always admired the aoudads.

in texas the majority of aoudads are hunted on private ranches. there are several state properties that do some limited hunting for aoudads around Big Bend and also in the Panhandle.

The hill country areas of texas will have high fenced ranches ranging in size that have the more affordable aoudad hunting.

the huge ranches of west texas are a bit more pricey, i think you pay for the quality of the hunt some here. animal populations are smaller andmore spread out, but you can't be the scenery.

New Mexico offers aoudad, listed as barbary sheep, through their draw process. you can hunt rams in the guadalupe mtns there.

OP
T
a buddy of mine sells aoudad trips to west texas, kasey mock is his name 512 787 1849

Rackmastr

WKR
Awesome! I shot a ram last year and just finished mounting it. Turned out great! What an awesome animal they are to hunt. I'll be back in the next couple years for sure!!!

OP
T
Awesome! I shot a ram last year and just finished mounting it. Turned out great! What an awesome animal they are to hunt. I'll be back in the next couple years for sure!!!

i'm ready to chase some aoudad again. where did you hunt them?

Jarhead

FNG
Any other guide / outfitter / ranch recommendations in West Texas (free range)? I was looking at Desert Safaris and All Seasons Guide Service, to name a few. Not a lot of reviews to be found on free range aoudad outfitters. Whats interesting is the amount I've seen prices vary. From what I can tell price seems to be related to the amount of acreage available to hunt (which makes sense). Trying to have a good hunt and avoid overpaying if I don't have to. Thanks.

OP
T
word of mouth is the most powerful tool when it comes to west texas. i think you definately get what you pay for. if someone is offering a deal that sounds too good to be true, beware! we got burned once on a different go round. i had a fiend of a friend type of deal who owned Desert Mountain Guide Service, the guys name was Asa Nixon. keep an eye out for him too. good luck, i have the itch to go again

TXCO

WKR
I hunted pronghorn with desert safaris. They have a lot of good land and I think a good operation.

OP
T
Thanks for the info guys. Looking forward to my first sheep!

just went on another aoudad hunt here a year later. amazing how smart and elusive those critters can be. story and new video coming in the near future