West Texas Aoudad

I'm just looking for information on West Texas Aoudad hunting. Trying to organize a hunt here, but have never been down there. Just curious if it's easier to pay a trespass fee on a ranch or guide. I'd like to just do a DIY on a large ranch if possible. Budget around $2k. 2-4 guys.
Any info will help on ranches or outfitters etc.
TIA!

FlyGuy

WKR
Most everything is going to be guided and about double your budget. I've seen one site that listed some DIY ops that I'll try to relocate and send to you.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
2k a person on a few ranches down there. Go check out the mountain project guys on YouTube they did a hunt down there and share info on the guys they went through. Name slips my mind right now

OP
C
Thanks guys. Yes i've seen mostly everyone is guided with little self guided DIY. That's what we are looking for so i'll keep my eye's open. I'll look into the MP guys trip as well.

Zbot

WKR
Mike McKinny with West Texas Hunt Org is who I and a lot of the film guys use. Has access to a lot of land and multiple species. Does DIY, semi-guided, and fully guided hunts with all the fixings.

Rico77

FNG
Co_jakrabt, I’m trying to find exactly the same thing on about the same budget. Let us know if you find something

eamyrick

WKR
I’ll second Mike McKinney. I have talked with him back and forth over the last 2 years and finally booked a DIY Mule Deer Hunt. He has multiple Aoudad options for a variety of budgets.

T_holli22

FNG
Thanks guys this thread was very timely. I've been wanting to do a DIY hunt down in South Texas as I have not been there in over 20 years and did not see an Aoudad then. Just looked at WTHO website and looks like it will be in 2020.

A good friend of mine runs A7 Outfitters near Del Rio.

They have a good bit of auodad, granted there are feeders everywhere but it's big enough if you wanted to do a spot and stalk type hunt I'm sure you could.

I'm actually planning on doing this at his place to try out all my gear for the first time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

A good friend of mine runs A7 Outfitters near Del Rio.

They have a good bit of auodad, granted there are feeders everywhere but it's big enough if you wanted to do a spot and stalk type hunt I'm sure you could.

I'm actually planning on doing this at his place to try out all my gear for the first time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I'll tag along on that hunt if you want some help ha. I've been looking for all kinds of angles on those dang sheep. DIY in tx is about impossible unless you know some landowners.

Bird-man

FNG
I am going Next Month with Mike McKinney. We are hunting the Devils river ranch. I let you know how we do. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

eamyrick

WKR
Bird-man: I’m jealous. I hunted Mule Deer on one of Mike’s places on the border and saw some Auodad in November and have the itch but not quite the pocket book to make it happen.

Rock-o

WKR
I am going Next Month with Mike McKinney. We are hunting the Devils river ranch. I let you know how we do. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
How was your trip? DIY, semi-guided or fully guided? Any pictures? I secured a spot for February 2021.

Bird-man

FNG
It was a great trip. My brother n law and me. We had it fully guided. Worth ever penny. We had Clint and Casey for guides. Here are a few. He shot his at 400 yards and I shot mine at 524 yards and then again at around 400 yards to finish him. I recommend you know your rifle. IMG_1958.jpgIMG_1951.jpgIMG_1914.jpgIMG_1919.jpg

Last edited: