West Virginia

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I grew up in Mcdowell County WV, work in Greenbrier county, not far from Lewisburg at all.

Pretty much what everyone said here is true, there are great things about WV and some pretty crappy things too. I live just across the border in virginia now, but anytime we want to do something "outdoorsy" with the family we end up going to WV, because it's that much more better than virginia in my opinion for those type of things.

If you need help finding hunting grounds, fishing grounds etc. I would also be glad to help ya out.

If you don't mind me asking, what job opportunity is bringing you to lewisburg?

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Lewisburg is nice, and they have revitalized their downtown area. Just a short drive north and you have the Monongahela National Forest which includes the Cranberry Wilderness, Cranberry Backcountry, Watoga State Park, Dolly Sods, Otter Creek Wilderness, Highland Scenic Highway, Cass Scenic Railroad, Seneca Rocks...etc... I live in the western part of the state....but always drive to the eastern part of the state to enjoy the mountains and scenery.

Cranberry Wilderness, Cranberry Backcountry: Hiked it and fished it, excellent if not the best trout fishing in the state
Watoga State Park: Fished the lake for trout and catfish, also has decent LM Bass
Dolly Sods: Hiked it and it's beautiful, have hear it's ok hunting but tuff, excellent bear hunting
Highland Scenic Highway: Beautiful drive, hunted it once, decent deer hunting, more ramps than you can dig in one day in the spring
Cass Scenic Railroad: Rode it and it's fun (snowshoe ski resort close by)
Seneca Rocks: Hiked em, and Smoke Hole is some of best trout fishing in the state too

TreeDog

FNG
I grew up about ten minutes away from the New River Gorge, and have spent quite a bit of time working in most portions of the state. Moved back home after my four years in Morgantown to work, then to Elkins for a different job. I recently moved to Montana, but if I were to move back to WV Elkins would be number one location and Lewisburg would be a very close second. Lewisburg isn't far from big chunks of national forest, trout streams, and some awesome smallmouth water, plus everything everyone else has mentioned. Good deer, turkey, and bear hunting. It has all the amenities you need as far as grocery stores, restaurants, etc., and the drug/poverty problem doesn't seem to be as bad there as other parts of the state. Also don't overlook VA for outdoor opportunities. Great trout streams and hunting on that side of the line too. Mind me asking what kind of work? Hope everything works out for you and your family.

Last edited:
OP
P

pete

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up in Mcdowell County WV, work in Greenbrier county, not far from Lewisburg at all.

Pretty much what everyone said here is true, there are great things about WV and some pretty crappy things too. I live just across the border in virginia now, but anytime we want to do something "outdoorsy" with the family we end up going to WV, because it's that much more better than virginia in my opinion for those type of things.

If you need help finding hunting grounds, fishing grounds etc. I would also be glad to help ya out.

If you don't mind me asking, what job opportunity is bringing you to lewisburg?

Positions at WVSOM. My wife is in negotiations and I’m still interviewing. Working on securing offers for both of us before we make any decisions.

How is the Monongahela National Forest or the Dolly Sods or Cranberry Wildernesses to hunt? Pretty rugged country? Anybody have experience there

How is the Monongahela National Forest or the Dolly Sods or Cranberry Wildernesses to hunt? Pretty rugged country? Anybody have experience there
Both places are pretty cool and worth the trip from PA. Most of the hiking in DS is on a high plateau, but can have a hike up or down depending on where you start. Also the Roaring plain area is nice and less people. Cranberry wilderness is just a beautiful place that reminds you of western high country.
If your in the area the hike up to Senecca Rocks is plenty steep and worth doing atleast once.

conhawa

Lil-Rokslider

The Cranberry Wilderness is pretty rugged. The lower elevations have some hardwood...but the higher elevations near the Scenic Highway are mostly Spruce. The Wilderness areas are reserved to foot and horseback travel only.....no bridges and limited trail markings. You can camp anywhere that you want though. My favorite area in the Cranberry Wilderness is the"Middle Fork Trail".....which follows a river most of the way (Middle Fork of the Williams River). It runs from the Highland Scenic Highway to the Williams River at "Three Forks"....9 miles long overall.

The Cranberry Wilderness is pretty rugged. The lower elevations have some hardwood...but the higher elevations near the Scenic Highway are mostly Spruce. The Wilderness areas are reserved to foot and horseback travel only.....no bridges and limited trail markings. You can camp anywhere that you want though. My favorite area in the Cranberry Wilderness is the"Middle Fork Trail".....which follows a river most of the way (Middle Fork of the Williams River). It runs from the Highland Scenic Highway to the Williams River at "Three Forks"....9 miles long overall.

I’m pretty fond that that trail myself! Beautiful place.
40b3812a52ab3f318d62675c6485c15c.jpg

24111ce89ec72efc66673525acc92bb9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both places are pretty cool and worth the trip from PA. Most of the hiking in DS is on a high plateau, but can have a hike up or down depending on where you start. Also the Roaring plain area is nice and less people. Cranberry wilderness is just a beautiful place that reminds you of western high country.
If your in the area the hike up to Senecca Rocks is plenty steep and worth doing atleast once.

Your a wealth of backcountry knowledge back east man I swear

Thank you for info man excited to see those spruces

Given that trees in the East quite growing around 5000 feet DS is getting up there high enough to make it's weather at times. I've been there when it rained hard enough in 15 minutes to turn the trails to small steams and there's a reason those pines on ridge top are missing limbs on one side.
IMG00120-20110618-1151.jpgIMG00135-20110619-1419.jpgIMG00143-20110619-1523.jpg