Western Archery Clothing Advice

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to say to this crowd but I'll be heading out west for the first time this upcoming September. I've seen that so many times already I hate that I'm behind the curve but I can't take back time, so here goes it...

I've got a complete UA Forest kit that I used for whitetail on the east coast. I'm headed to Wyoming this upcoming September for a mule deer hunt with 3 close friends. I'll be staying at a friends house no further than a 45 minute drive to any place we've e-scouted, most areas are closer. So this is not a backpack hunt. We will have a truck, possible something more agile, ATV/side-by-side, etc. Not sure yet.

I've decided my UA forest gear which never had planned to be used out west is not what I'd like to wear considering the terrain. I did consider running some solids but have decided I'll give myself every advantage I can since I'll be a dumb rookie. I can get Sitka at great prices but still have somehow gravitated toward Kuiu. This is due to quite a few factors that I have decided matter to me. Some of those being materials, fit, hip vents, camo, etc.

My interest right now is to go with the Valo in the following pieces along with everything else I have. I'm not truly sure if I'll have enough layers or what I may be overthinking or not thinking of.

Currently own:
First Lite lightweight merino bottoms
Black ovis light weight tops, T-shirt, LS-t, LS hooded all in burnt olive or brown
Kuiu Rubicon Jacket in gunmetal (I bought this for travel/work but could mix it in if need be)
Kryptek Lykos II Puffy
UA rain jacket

Additions I'm considering:
Attack Pant & Kutana Pant (with a house do I need 2 pairs of pants? I also have a gunmetal pair of black ovis pants and the UA forest lightweights)
Peloton 240 Vest
Peloton 97 Fleece Hoodie
Peloton 240 Hoodie

What I'm unsure of? Do I need a lighter insulated puffy than the Lykos II for stalking in the cold? Do my layers make sense with the peloton choices or should I add a heavier jacket. Again I have the rubicon that can be added mid layer as well if it gets cold. Will I need bottom insulation for glassing? And should I consider a bottom for rain? What are the chances I'll actually need a good rain set-up that I'll actually be active in during September in Wyoming.

I appreciate any advice you all would lend an island guy who owns way more wetsuits than hunting layers. If you have other suggestions I'll listen. I do not like the Sitka subalpine as much as the kuia valo or verde if I'm being honest, even with a steep discount. I prefer the hip vents although having knee pads on the sitka and the face covering top pieces are pretty sweet. Could the UA forest work? Would the Kuiu verde work ok but be more versatile for other hunts, whitetail, Wyoming Elk?

Geewhiz

WKR
As far as specific pieces go, I don't own a lot of the pieces you mention so I cant attest to them.

Generally, no matter what season, I wear a merino long sleeve half zip so you can really open it up if you start to cook, and then go from there. If its windy but not real cold I'll just throw a shell over that, and if its real cold and I'm not moving Ill throw a puffy or some kind of hoodie on in between.

Generally I think I run a little warmer than most, so most of the time even if it is real cold, as long as i'm moving, I don't ever really wear an insulation layer.

And honestly I would not go out of your way to get camo patterns if you already own gear in solids, but that's just my opinion.

OP
Castronova

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. Understanding how I will likely use the gear is as important as feedback on individual pieces.

I could probably save a good amount of money using the solids I have, adding another solid pant, and just getting a few camo top layers.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from a WY mule deer rifle hunt this past October but that was my only western hunt so take any recommendations with a grain of salt. We had a camper and a truck so also didn't have to worry about weight outside of what was on our back. Can't comment on camo patterns since I didn't care with a rifle so someone else with have to chime in.

We saw weather ranging from 20f and snow to 75 f and sunny.
-different weights of merino wool bottoms, socks and tops which worked really well and never took them off.
-grid fleece hoodie (badlands flex) that I also used all the time but any active mid layer would have worked.
-good pair of softshell pants or two. I had one lighter pair and one heavier with fleece lining and that was plenty.
-puffy vest but probably would have preferred a fleece vest or windbreaker as the puffy was too hot to hike in.
-down puffy coat (eddie bauer) which was worth its weight in gold for glassing.
-softshell jacket and hardshell rain jacket and pants. Depending on the weather I'd normally pack one or the other.
-OR gaiters kept clay, mud, snow out of my shoes and off pants
-leather gloves for hiking, climbing, barbed wire and a good pair of mittens for glassing
-baseball hat and beanie

Invest in a good pair of shoes or boots. I cheaped on this and regretted it. Also invest in a good pack. Mine was fine but should have spent more here.

Only thing I didn't have that I wish I did was puffy pants. You may not need them in Sept but I got cold.

Good luck!
d13fb034f5d896f8c5f8083d1cf6bddd.jpg
422c01372aa3b01c3e5c77413472456e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
I have never been one to bring rain pants, but I know some guys use them. And as far as glassing goes, it doesn't take much to get cold when your not moving, so whenever I plan on glassing for extended periods I stuff my pack with as many layers as I can fit, depending on the season of course.

As far as camo patterns, get whatever you think is cool because I don't think the animals care.

I have this theory about wearing different camo patterns at the same time to break things up even more. haha The idea of camo is inconsistency right?

OP
Castronova

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
Deli,
Thanks a ton for taking the time to respond. I bought Crispi Thor’s earlier this year as I was trying to spread the gear cost over a long period of time. Actually shot my deer in NY this year and dragged him out with those, the temp was too high for the lacrosses. Wasn’t hiking miles but I love them. It was around 80° that day. I also got a Mystery ranch pop up 28 which worked as a carry-on flying which I liked. I’ve wondered since if it’s something I’m asking to do too many jobs. It was too big for the tree stand IMO. It may be perfect to pack a muley but I’m not sure. Thought about upgrading but undecided.
Outside of that, taking Maven B2 9x45’s and am still thinking about a spotting scope. There is one in the group already.

Puffy and rain pants are 2 things I’m undecided on as well.

Last edited:

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
Deli,
Thanks a ton for taking the time to respond. I bought Crispi Thor’s earlier this year as I was trying to spread the gear cost over a long period of time. Actually shot my deer in NY this year and dragged him out with those, the temp was too high for the lacrosses. Wasn’t hiking miles but I love them. It was around 80° that day. I also got a Mystery ranch pop up 28 which worked as a carry-on flying which I liked. I’ve wondered since if it’s something I’m asking to do too many jobs. It was too big for the tree stand IMO. It may be perfect to pack a muley but I’m not sure. Thought about upgrading but undecided.
Outside of that, taking Maven B2 9x45’s and am still thinking about a spotting scope. There is one in the group already.

Puffy and rain pants are 2 things I’m undecided on as well.
No problem. I'm in NJ so similar hunting to you. I hunt in WI every year too and western hunting is completely different. Think getting light clothing and more layers since you'll be much more active. Honestly if your on a budget, hiking clothing works great. You don't need specific hunting brands. Just get earth tones. Military surplus is also a good option for cheap camo.

That day pack should work since it has the loadshelf. If you are with buddies, they'll help you pack out meat. You also don't need the spotting scope. In truth I used my naked eyes more than my binos and just looked for movement. Practice getting in proper shape hiking with some weight in a pack. That really helped me. Let me know if you have any other questions. Planning the trip is half the fun.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
Castronova

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
I have never been one to bring rain pants, but I know some guys use them. And as far as glassing goes, it doesn't take much to get cold when your not moving, so whenever I plan on glassing for extended periods I stuff my pack with as many layers as I can fit, depending on the season of course.

As far as camo patterns, get whatever you think is cool because I don't think the animals care.

I have this theory about wearing different camo patterns at the same time to break things up even more. haha The idea of camo is inconsistency right?
I think I saw you mention this in another thread. I immediately thought “that’s actually a good idea” instantly followed by “no chance in hell I’m doing that.” Haha

OP
Castronova

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
We finally got tags this year, I had to sit out due to work last year. Headed to Wyoming for archery season in September for mule deer. The 3 of us all have obligations so our window is small, probably 5 or 6 days of hunting.

I settled on mainly Kuiu as it fits me really well and I picked up pieces here and there. This is what I have right now...

Base:
Gila - Valo
Merino 145 - Valo

Mid:
Peloton 240 Vest - gunmetal
Super Down Ultra Vest - Bourbon
Strong Fleece 260 - Valo

Bottoms:
Peloton 97 zip-off
Attack pant - khaki
Kutana stretch - Valo

Insulation & Outer:
Eddie Bauer Ascent 800 puffy
Super down ultra pants
UA cheap rain jacket

Feet:
3 pairs Darn Tough lightweight hikers
Crispi Thor

I'm going to use my MR Pop-up 28 as we will have a vehicle and be doing day hunts. I think it should be fine. Maven 9 x 45's should be great out there, I'm taking my Peak Design tripod and a fold up chair.

I probably have more than I need, I'm such a gear hoe on the classifieds here. I still wonder if I need a thinner mid layer to move in, like a peloton 97 but I'm probably overthinking it. I'm really looking forward to the trip. I've been biking 35 - 60 miles a week to get my heart in shape. Hopefully the altitude doesn't hurt me too bad. Any other recommendations would be awesome.

Looks like you are pretty well set. My group is in the same boat but headed to CO for OTC elk from NY. Should be a great 30 hour ride......

OP
Castronova

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly if I had enough time available I would love to make a long drive but I only have just enough days to fly there and hunt 5 or 6 days max. It would be 41 hours for me. Good luck.

I'm actually missing NY this year most likely. I've went to a friends for whitetail in central NY the last 2 years, it was super fun.

Blandry

WKR
Last edited:
OP
Castronova

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
“It’s been so hot in Texas” Wow!

One thing I ended up getting is some descent rain gear. I appreciate everyone’s comments. I think we’re properly equipped.