OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Caribou Kielbasa....
52ab0b71a71ee2b9dcdd22e89b7cb762.jpg

AKBorn

WKR
Awesome! Did you make the sausage yourself? Back in the day we used to make polish sausage from caribou meat, but we always had it done by a processor.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Awesome! Did you make the sausage yourself? Back in the day we used to make polish sausage from caribou meat, but we always had it done by a processor.
Yes, I made it last night, racked and dried it then smoked it this morning while i was sitting in a bear stand trying to arrow a bear.

mcseal2

WKR
Cant go wrong with that combo...Good luck!!!

I touched up and oiled the Pro Guide tonight at home. I used it on all 3 caribou we got and my buddy used it boning out meat. In the field it only got a few swipes on a ceramic honing steel. Tonight it still shaved hair, and after 5 minutes on the strop it shaved EVERY hair. Dozier does an amazing job with D2, I like that knife better every time I use it. The GB Outdoor axe was handy to for building a meat rack, tent stakes, and other chores. It lost its shaving edge on the trip but it came right back.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
I touched up and oiled the Pro Guide tonight at home. I used it on all 3 caribou we got and my buddy used it boning out meat. In the field it only got a few swipes on a ceramic honing steel. Tonight it still shaved hair, and after 5 minutes on the strop it shaved EVERY hair. Dozier does an amazing job with D2, I like that knife better every time I use it. The GB Outdoor axe was handy to for building a meat rack, tent stakes, and other chores. It lost its shaving edge on the trip but it came right back.

I think there are other knives that do individual things better than a pro guide, however i think your hard pressed to find one that does so many as well. I think for a one knife option, in the back country ...more so some place your not walking out of in a timely manner...the pro guide is hell of good choice.

We used the GB for ton of work also. Stakes, built a game pole, firewood and some light butchering...also was great for taking off the jaw bones on bulls when we cleaned the skulls. That little axe punched above its weight. Good tool for sure

mcseal2

WKR
I like mine so well I got a Dozier Wilderness knife also. I take the Pro Guide hunting, the Wilderness fishing or scouting. Its basically a little longer and thicker edged version of the Pro Guide. Both are great knives although I’d definitely go Pro Guide if I only could have one.

MikeD2003

FNG
Love the 40 mile area! I’ve floated the Charley and been dropped with Zack, he’s an excellent pilot. Looks like y’all had a great hunt, congrats!
Planning a float trip next year in on the charley for caribou with Zack. I was looking for some advice I am sure I have a hundred questions and will have more over time.

What is you're preference or suggestions on raft (PR-49 or Alpacka Forager), I am considering buying or renting wondering if I will use a raft in other hunting in the future

Boots? Enough space for options? Muck boots? were you hunting far off the river and using more hiking/mountaineering boots? Waders?

I am sure I will have more later

MikeD2003

FNG
Anything made by pristine ventures is top notch. You’ll need to wear waders if you’re doing a float hunt.
Thanks for the reply! I planned on using waders for the float but any suggestions on waders hip, chest, etc?

Just wondered for packing in gear with the load drop restrictions footwear if getting out and moving off the water you stayed close with muck boots or if its more of a considerable hike where I should be taking my hiking boots. There will be 4 of us so we are also planning on taking Kifaru 8-man tipi with a stove, I am just trying to go through my checklist of gear and acquiring it over the next few months.

OnDeco

FNG
Excellent write-up and awesome pictures. Which shelter did you use and were you able to find enough wood for the stove?

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Excellent write-up and awesome pictures. Which shelter did you use and were you able to find enough wood for the stove?
I took my Kifaru Sawtooth, anda medium Seek outside U Turn stove. Yes we found enough wood however I can see some spots where it would have been way scarcer. We had enough but it wasn't overly abundant either.

The Sawtooth did well as it always does for me. I debated on bringing a Cimarron however I decided on the sawtooth for a little more square footage. We maybe could have gotten away with a little larger shelter however it also would have limited our spots. Flat and large enough spots for the footprint weren't easy to come by, little bigger and it would have limited us a bit.
I didnt bring a liner, condensation was manageable, few nights worse then others. All in all it worked great.