Western (Colorado) Turkey Hunting Questions

mAv

Lil-Rokslider
So after spending a couple days in the turkey woods with only a few gobbles and fewer tracks, I've got a few questions regarding 'strategy' in Colorado... Being from the midwest, I never had the same issues, strategy was pretty much the same each year and never had issues.

I spent a couple days out scouting last week, heard a lot of promising gobbles, but never did physically see any birds. A buddy and I went out this past Sunday- snowing a bit in the morning and pretty cold, covered some good ground but never heard a single turkey. We set the blind up and sat for a bit calling just to see if there'd be any response- nothing. I chalked it up to likely the weather, with the potential of it also being from higher hunting pressure from Saturday. I went back out yesterday morning, but unfortunately could only stay out about half of the day. I heard a few gobbles early in the morning, saw a few tracks, and tried to follow one promising set as far as I could, which led to what I assumed was a feeding area. Later in the morning, I got a few gobbles as responses, but nothing seemed to move closer at all. Still didn't physically see any.

All that being said- I have not been able to find a roost, or quite frankly any prominent amount of sign outside of a few tracks here and there. Without knowing those things, am I better off plopping the blind and dekes down and calling and hoping for a bite, or is my time better spent scouting the area more and trying to find a more promising area before I spend a lot of time set up/calling?

Also, if anyone knows Merriams well- what sort of habitat am I looking for in feeding areas, roosting areas, etc? I'm hunting the front range primarily, and would like to stick close if possible. I have a general idea, but most of what I've read about them seems like they all quote the same article and isn't really too specific. I've asked as many people that hunt as I can (that I know here anyway) about turkey hunting, and most folks just look at you with a blind stare.

Hopefully someone can offer a bit of insight, lots of random questions, but looking to learn as much as I can about these birds. Feel free to PM me if you would rather communicate that way.

They can be frustrating then one day it just falls into place and seems too easy. The birds I hunt on the west slope are not only nomadic but also migratory so there are some roosts that get used more than others but it's never a sure thing. I suspect it's a similar situation over there? If you've been into birds keep pushing. You've got the hardest part figured out.

Welcome to Colorado turkey hunting. Atleast your hearing birds and seeing sign. I've always found the hunting to get better towards the end of the season. When all the hens are nesting and toms are by themselves. Early in the season the Tom can be almost impossible to call in at times.

I've been hunting them too. Found two different flocks scouting now all I can find is tracks. I haven't even heard a gobble. I'm in the springs too. Me and 3 buddies are gonna hit it hard this weekend. If we figure anything out I'll shoot you a pm or post up on here.

ScottP

WKR
I have pretty limited experience with Merriams, but last year all the roost trees we found in the early season were just downslope from steep ridgelines and facing east. The groups of birds seemed to be using these trees frequently by the number of droppings on the ground. I shot my bird about 1/4mi from one of these spots. they do cover ground in the mountains, but seem to have some core areas for roosting and strutting. Good luck. I'll be out after them late next week.

brettb

FNG
Steamboat Springs, Colorado, United States
one thing to remember alot of these turkeys follow the snow line like the elk. last weekend i walked about 4 miles up a trail and finally got into birds. but saw tons of old tracks down low and have always noticed thats where the majority of guys hunt. Another thing about the western slope I've noticed over the past 15-20 yrs with birds on public land is they arnt as willing to come in to calls as in well say the easterns. This time of year after a lil pressure the turkeys are so much like elk, roosting trees have changed and they may have moved way away from where originally located, seen, or heard. Once the weather gets consistantly nice and warmer, mid day will be real good for locating gobbling toms. and yes they to will work north facing slopes in the shade during mida day. Hope I helped a lil bit.

Most of the birds your hearing are probably henned up, and the hens may not even be nesting yet. Stay after it, hunting merriams gets better right up to the last day!