Western Daypack/Treestand Hauler

hoff1ck

WKR
Just discovered the forum today. What a resource. Spent a while looking through old threads trying to find some options that may answer my question.

Anyways, I'm starting my search for a quality daypack. There's a few things I'm looking for. I'm from Michigan, so I generally don't even use/need a pack hunting whitetails. Next fall though, I'm going on an early season archery hunt in ND. I'm looking for something that could comfortably handle my muddy hang on, along with a few other bare essentials. If we end up going in a ways on walk-in access PLOTS land or something, it would be nice to have something that I could use to pack a deer out with as well.

To add to things, I also have an archery elk hunt planned with a few buddies for 2019. It's a ways out, but I'm hoping to find something that will fit my needs in ND, and then can also be used as a daypack in the mountains. For elk, we'll most likely be hunting from a truck camp and only packing in for the day.

Just on my own little bit of research, the Eberlestock X2 and Kifaru Nomad look like they could fit the bill, but I'm new to the pack game so I thought you guys might be able to spread some knowledge and recommend some packs that could adequately double up for both hunts.

Last edited:

oldgoat

WKR
Haven't actually hauled my treestand in it yet but I know my Kifaru Nomad will do it this fall! It's hauled everything I've thrown at it so far and then just add a guide lid and camp bag when you go elk hunting, probably want a grab it II also. 2200ci basic bag to over 7000ci with camp bag and lid. If you can lift it and it fits between the wings, it will haul it!

Lawnboi

WKR
Anyone have some pictures of a cargo pannel with a tree stand in it?

I'm going to pick up a cargo pannel for this fall, without it it was just a little too much work balancing the stand in a grab it.

It would be cheaper and weigh less to buy the k clip strap set. Two straps is all you need to keep the treestand in place especially if you have the grab it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
It would be cheaper and weigh less to buy the k clip strap set. Two straps is all you need to keep the treestand in place especially if you have the grab it.

Iv tried that, problem is when I want to bring a small bag with me or carry clothing in, it's all flopping around and straps are everywhere.

I figured with the cargo panel I could throw the stand in, throw clothing and bag on top and secure it all with the cargo panel. Maybe I'm wrong but I already have the frame so the price of the panel won't be hard

The cargo panel works for sure. I have tried it with good success. I just found a guide lid, grab it and an extra strap worked just as well.

DWinVA

WKR
Back here in VA I use my EXO 3500 to haul tree stands and whitetail. Then it's my elk hunting pack when I head out west.

God Bless.

OP
H

hoff1ck

WKR
For hauling a tree stand I just use a Kifaru duplex or a bikini frame. Then strap a lid on for the few thing I carry inView attachment 38470

Gives me an invalid link with the attachment. Any pictures of current setups would be appreciated too.

For the ND hunt, I don't really think I'll need a ton of room for gear. I carry minimal amount of gear deer hunting right now as is. The biggest thing would be securing the stand and being able to pack a deer out if needed. If I just went with a Kifaru frame for ND, I could buy a bag later for the Colorado hunt? Like I said that will be from a truck based camp, but I'll definitely want some room to carry things and pack a quarter out.

Another option is to put something like the molle system on your stand and then strap your treestand pack to it for the pack in. I do this with my climbers.

i've experimented with this a ton over the last few years and i've done it 3 ways...

1) molle backpack straps mounted to stand, small bag strapped to stand.
2) stand sandwiched between frame and bag.
3) stand strapped to back of internal frame pack.

-if you're carrying minimal gear then option 1 works fine but i don't like having the straps on my stand all the time, and since i need to pack in layers i don't see the point in strapping a 2000 ci bag to the back of the stand.
-option 2 is nice if you're really going in deep. it gets the weight of the stand right up against your back. downside is i don't like having to fiddle with taking the bag off the frame and putting it back on in the dark when i get to my tree.
- i use option 3 now. last year i used a spike camp with a grab it at the end of the season and loved it. when i get to my tree i take the pack off, pull the stand out of the grabit and put my bow in there. climb up and then pull the pack and bow up all at once. right now i've got an older express that i'll use unless i can find the money for a 14'r between now and hunting season.

i will say that if you own a summit stand or something similar, option 1 is probably your best bet. option 2 and 3 are best left for stands that fold flat. my primary stand is a lone wolf hand climber. my secondary stand is a summit goliath that is reserved for gun hunts. when using that i still go with option 1 because its just too big for the other options.

IMG_20151227_124803456_zps5fjnrjlv_edit_1451241191683_zpshrewml4n.jpg

this was my setup a couple years ago using option 2 and it works great but the serac was a bit small. one advantage of this is that i could put my bow on there with the stand and drag a deer out all in one trip.

IMG_20150910_194744686_zpsblh0e7dq.jpg

Xtreme007

WKR
This year I'm going a use my Exo frame and the Exo horn hauler for my lone wolf stand. It secures the stand great and has plenty of room in the pockets the stuff I need to carry with me.

The layout and pockets of the Exo HH1500 makes it easy to access gear while in the tree stand.

nrfarley

FNG
95912358b21c830414bd1895cec3180c.jpg

I have used the X2 with a lone wolf assault hang on and muddy sticks. It gets the job done, but this year I'm running a Kifaru duplex frame with a cargo panel.

ChrisS

WKR
Lone wolf carried between the bag and the frame of my Exo 3500. The frame straps secure it fine. The only issue I've had was that stand was rubbing on the fabric covering the frame and I just put a couple of bits of duct tape there and it's been protected. I've strapped it to the frame with the bag and lid and I've also used just the lid and frame. I'll leave the frame on the ground somewhere stashed under some trimmed limbs and haul the lid and my bow up with me. I can get everything I need for a long sit in the lid.

I've had success hiking after a morning sit and just throwing up a stand over fresh scrapes that I've found.

The way that I have found that works best for me is my climber strapped to my duplex with either the cargo panel or grab-it and the guide lid on the back. I can quickly unclip the guide lid which goes into the stand with me and be climbing the tree in no time. The guide lid is 1200ci which is plenty big enough for snacks, calls, camera, and water.

Sorry for the blurry pic, but you get the idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Jmock97

Lil-Rokslider
Gives me an invalid link with the attachment. Any pictures of current setups would be appreciated too.

For the ND hunt, I don't really think I'll need a ton of room for gear. I carry minimal amount of gear deer hunting right now as is. The biggest thing would be securing the stand and being able to pack a deer out if needed. If I just went with a Kifaru frame for ND, I could buy a bag later for the Colorado hunt? Like I said that will be from a truck based camp, but I'll definitely want some room to carry things and pack a quarter out.

I will try to get some picture up tonight it never I always have trouble loading pictures from my phone

Lawnboi

WKR
So is it pretty quick and easy to load up a stand and gear with the cargo panel? Only thing I disliked before is messing with a whole bunch of straps in the dark

Then I strap my stand pack and bulky clothes to the other side. Once you approach the #40 mark it gets uncomfortable quick.
IMG_20160714_114454608_zpstiz66yg6.jpg

kodiakfly

WKR
My days of packing 100 lbs are over, but I keep my Barney's frame solely as a platform for carrying treestands. I've got a couple of Kifarus as well and mine that's just a frame and cargo panel would work well for that too. But for the big, bulky stuff and when you might want to literally just take a cargo strap and ratchet something to the frame, the old scool rigid tubing of the Barney's is ideal for that.